The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hello,

A few of you might remember from olden days on other places, please say hello if you remember me.

FED rules problem. BR beats out a hit, but does not touch the bag. Now I know we got new casebook play 8.2.3 and that mess.

But tonight, at my local rules meeting, I said the following:
"Best umpiring practice today says that you make the safe call, even if BR missed the bag." Discussion got interesting from here, but my problem is:

"Is there any FED rules/casebook/manual support for justifying this practice?" It's fine if OBR uses it, and Carl Childress recommends it, and others fight about it. But I got people in this group who want to see FED support befroe they call it that way.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:40am
Michael Taylor

*.2.3 is a misprint or bad editing, whichever you wish to call it. There is an * next to it to show it is a change, however if you look at last year's book it's the same play.
There are NO ACCIDENTAL APPEALS period. You are not the first to question this, believe me.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

And what is the other option?

Quote:
Originally posted by jkumpire
Hello,

A few of you might remember from olden days on other places, please say hello if you remember me.

FED rules problem. BR beats out a hit, but does not touch the bag. Now I know we got new casebook play 8.2.3 and that mess.

But tonight, at my local rules meeting, I said the following:
"Best umpiring practice today says that you make the safe call, even if BR missed the bag." Discussion got interesting from here, but my problem is:

"Is there any FED rules/casebook/manual support for justifying this practice?" It's fine if OBR uses it, and Carl Childress recommends it, and others fight about it. But I got people in this group who want to see FED support befroe they call it that way.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
I agree with you and all I have seen seems to agree signal safe.

What is the other option these guys are wanting to pursue?

Not signal at all - that makes it quite obvious there is a problem especially if you have a close call, runner safe by a step or so.

Thanks
David

Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My advice is to ignore 8.2.3 and apply 8.4.2A and 8.4.2B instead.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Please listen

I thank you for the kind words, but you are not hearing my question:

The question is: If "best umpiring practice" is to make a safe call when a BR beats the throw to 1B and misses the bag, where can I find support for that in FED.

Look folks, I agree with you, and I know this is the pro/PBUA mechanic. The problem is I am talking to people who do not work x hours a day on FED rules and mechanics, or other rules/mechanics. But if the FED rules tell them to do things in a certain way, they will do it. I tell them to make a safe call, they say "that's not in the rules." I'm looking for a justification for telling them I have the better mecahnic.

I hope that makes it clear.

Finally, one last point about 8.2.3: Yes, it is a screw-up somewhere by somebody, but it is in the casebook as an interp. You gotta call it that way unless FED sends something out to State Associations saying otherwise.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Please listen

Quote:

Finally, one last point about 8.2.3: Yes, it is a screw-up somewhere by somebody, but it is in the casebook as an interp. You gotta call it that way unless FED sends something out to State Associations saying otherwise.
Which, I believe they have done. It remains due to an editing error. It will be gone next year. Go by the rule, not this casebook situation.

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 29th, 2005 at 04:46 PM]
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I cannot find an actual mechanic on this per the fed but anytime a base runner misses a bag the ump should do nothing. If he gets a proper appeal before the runner gets back to the bag then call him out declaring on the appeal is what I say he should do. Nothing happens until blue calls it so if you wait till the appeal or runner gets back, should be no harm in it either way.

Just my opinion tho.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I cannot find an actual mechanic on this per the fed but anytime a base runner misses a bag the ump should do nothing. If he gets a proper appeal before the runner gets back to the bag then call him out declaring on the appeal is what I say he should do. Nothing happens until blue calls it so if you wait till the appeal or runner gets back, should be no harm in it either way.

Just my opinion tho.
If a runner misses a base and is not put out, then you signal safe. This dosen't really come up much at second or third base, but at first just make the safe sign, and wait for an appeal.

The exception is home plate. Then make no signal.