The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

R1 only. No outs.

Hard groundball single, R1 rounds 2nd and is OBSTRUCTED by SS, as charging RFer has scooped and preparing to throw.

(Obviously, this is type B obstruction). Baseumpire makes the call and makes mental decision to PROTECT this runner into 3rd. and moves into position as throw is made to 3rd, a catch, a slide, a tag, a (what?).

Now in real time, the thirdbaseman, who knows he just tagged this runner 4 inches off the bag now alertly throws to 2nd to play on the advancing batter runner.

QUESTION in the form of a comment:

BU observing the tag of R1 that would be and OUT cannot CALL out, so he calls "TIME" and announces the obstruction and places R1 at third. But does this then make the throw to 2nd irrelevant, and is the placement of the B-R simply based on the umpires opinion as to WHERE B-R would have ended up?

(assumption: umpire would err on the side of allowing B-R second).

assumption 2: if someone is going to say that the play at third REQUIRES a call of "OUT" first, I'd like to see "documentation".

More: flashback from lists from the past, but isn't this an example of Type B "becoming" Type A?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

No, once the Obstruction is "B" type it remains "B" until the play is finished. An example of "A" would be R1 leaving 1st, getting bumped by F4 (not making a play). Ball fielded by F5 who throws to F6 covering 2nd. This is obstruction of a runner with a play being made on that runner.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 08:22am
Michael Taylor

When you have type b obstruction you let it go until all play has ceased or there is an out made on the obstructed runner before reching his protected base. I remember all type a turns b some years back but the fact is it is always one or the other. When you kill it as in your play then yes the throw to second didn't happen. You place to where you think they should be.

Pro interp:
Under this section of the obstruction rule, the obstruction is to be signaled by the umpire pointing
laterally at the obstruction while calling loudly and clearly, "That's obstruction." The ball is not
dead, however, and the umpire shall allow play to continue until all play has ceased and no
further action is possible (see exception in NOTE (1) below). At that moment, the umpire shall
call "Time" and impose such penalties, if any, that in the umpire's judgment will nullify the act
of obstruction. It is important to note that in cases occurring under this section of the obstruction
rule, the umpire shall not call "Time" until all action has ceased and no further play is possible.
NOTE (1 ): If a runner is obstructed under this second section of the obstruction rule, play is to
proceed to completion-even if it results in a play later being made on the runner who was
previously obstructed. However, if such a play on a previously obstructed runner results in that
runner actually being tagged out before reaching the base to which he would have been awarded
because of the obstruction, the umpire shall in that case call "Time" at the moment the runner is
tagged out. The umpire shall then impose such penalties that will nullify the obstruction, which
will include, of course, the obstructed runner being awarded the base to which he would be
entitled because of the obstruction.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Calling time immediately upon the out at 3B makes sense. I don't see how it could be any other way. But what about placement of the BR? If F5's throw to 2B was in time to get the BR, it's hard to say he would have reached 2B. There's not much "doubt" to give the "benefit" of. Do we then place him back at 1B?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 04:18pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
What is "Type A" and "Type B" obstruction?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
What is "Type A" and "Type B" obstruction?
This refers to where obstruction is covered in the OBR rulebook. There are 2 sections in 7.06 (section a and section b) defining the 2 types of obstruction. Check out that section and read this thread again, so the stuff makes sense to you.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:05pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Does any of it apply to NFHS rules?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All obstruction in NFHS is "Type B"
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS has an obstruction rule so some of this applies. However, NFHS has only one type of obstruction.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
Quote:
All obstruction in NFHS is "Type B"
In FED, obstruction is always a delayed dead ball. That may be what you mean by type B. But in OBR a type B would not necessarily mean a runner who was obstructed advances and in FED a runner who has been obstructed always advances. So this statement is a tad mis-leading.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Correct. I was just trying to relate NFHS with the previous discussion on this thread. But yes, read the rule book for all the details and such of the rule.