The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

In my area, umpire assignments are largely based on the test scores of the Federation Exam Part II. Over the last few years, I have become convinced that a few of our umpires have access to this test in advance. They always score 99-100 yet some of them are dumber than rocks.

Our president and commissioner swear that this test is only given on a certain day nationwide and that no one has advance access. The commissioner says that he picks up the exam on the morning of the test and that no one sees it. This year it's being given to our umpires on March 14. I have searched the Internet and have not been able to find a copy of the exam but I'm convinced that somewhere, some how, the president and his buddies get an advanced copy. I have brought this up to our president and he brushes me off and tells me to go study. I usually get about 95 on the exam but that's only good enough for leftovers in my association.

To prove my point, could someone direct me to the place online where this test is published. If you don't want to do that, could you publish 4 or 5 questions here so that I have absolute proof that the exam has been compromised for my president.

Do any of you take this test prior to March 14? If you do, then that may be where some of our umpires are getting the exam. If you take it prior to March 14, could you give your name and exact location. Better yet, prove it here by listing a few questions.

I'm ready to quit umpiring high school baseball over this issue. I know that I'm competing against a stacked deck but can't prove it. Please help.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

All I know,

In Oregon the Assigning Commissioners are allowed to pick up the test this Saturday (03.05.05). They also receive the answer key at that time.

We will test (closed book) on Monday (03.07.05) and have league games as early as 03.14.05.

Your commissioner in incorrect in a "National Test Day" . . . there are varsity umpires in Florida that have already worked +20 games.

Any testing process can be defeated if someone wants (needs) to . . . over the past four years I have scored 100, 99, 100, 99 (that is counting as correct any question FED tossed out)and have not cheated.

BTW, we are not allowed to take the test booklet or our answer sheet with us at test end. It is given to us later in the season.

Why on earth should I need to prove to you I have taken a test? Lighten up!

I am sure that there are people who can cheat -- that is life.

[Edited by Tim C on Mar 1st, 2005 at 06:04 PM]
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

The test date in Tennessee is March 13.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think he was asking you to prove you took the test.

I think he was asking someone to post a question or two so that he could show those questions to his president, thus "proving" that the test was available (at least to someone) before his president's supposedly official test time.

That said, I WOULD question why the original poster only gets 95 or so, even closed book. There are other tests where 95 is pretty good, but the Fed exam seems to do a better job testing actual rules knowledge, as opposed to other exams where it seems their intent is to see how well you can read, and whether you can discover the trick hidden in the question. For instance, on the ASA softball test, I normally get around 95-97 right (after throwing out bad questions), but of the 3-5 that I miss, there might be 1 legitimate miss (there was one this year) and the other 2-4 were simply, "Dammit, I read that wrong."
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

"Dammit, I read that wrong" is a miss.

[Edited by DG on Mar 1st, 2005 at 09:45 PM]
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

FED TEST / ALL ARE TRUE OR FALSE

1)The on-deck circle should be to the side and away from home plate, 37 feet if space allows.

11) Mark as False.

Here's two samples of test questions from the 2005 Federation test. I took it on January 18th at 12:30 in the afternoon.

In some states the tests can be taken on-line. That's how I took the test.

Foulball
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
In Knoxville it is March 20, make-up March 21.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Foulball
FED TEST / ALL ARE TRUE OR FALSE

1)The on-deck circle should be to the side and away from home plate, 37 feet if space allows.

11) Mark as False.

Here's two samples of test questions from the 2005 Federation test. I took it on January 18th at 12:30 in the afternoon.

In some states the tests can be taken on-line. That's how I took the test.

Foulball
Those questions are from Part 1. The poster was asking about Part II.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Tennessee Umpires

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwes68
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
In Knoxville it is March 20, make-up March 21.
I thought the TSSAA set the test dates. O well, live and learn. Want a copy? I will have it after the 13th.

Just kidding, but I do need a favor. Our association, for reasons unknown, decided not to hand out the Part 1's. I like to use them for study purposes. If your association gave them out, could you fax or email me a copy? My email is [email protected]. I do not want to post my fax number, but send me an email and I will email the fax number back to you.

Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I agree that "Dammit, I read that wrong" is a miss. But at least it's something I would get right on the field. And it always seems that with ASA's Test's convoluted wording, there WILL be some you read wrong. My 95-ish score usually leads the class. When it doesn't, I receive ribbing from everyone, since I'm the "rules guy" in the area.

The Fed test doesn't take the pains to trick you that ASA does, so I'd be mighty disappointed in a 95 on that test.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Ours was given in Florida on February 6th.
The copies are out there, always have been.
If you know someone who lives in another state, you can probably get your hands on it.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 05:01pm
Michael Taylor

Our test date is 3/21 mandated by the state but I get the test and answers at least a week early. I edited this for clarification. I proctor the test in my area which is why I get it early.

[Edited by Michael Taylor on Mar 3rd, 2005 at 07:57 AM]
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

When I lived in Pitt,Pa I use to ask every year, (well really only 4), why there was never any test taken each year. I transferred in to PIAA.

The answer I always got was that the tests were used as entrance exams for first time candidates into PIAA Baseball officiating. I would each year ask why the exams could not be used as learning tools for ALL officials. Still waiting for an answer.

I was not surprised in the number of officials that opened the book once, when they received it. In some cases it was only because they accidently dropped it and it fell open when it hit the floor. That has at least changed in the Association I was a member of. They still don't get the tests but their review sessions are a lot better.

As you can see the tests results had nothing to do with officiating. Then again it probably showed.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

we test on January 31st in Indiana for Part 1, Part 2 comes out to us around May 1st
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

why would your score be the overwhelming basis for assignments? Doesnt your on-field evaluations count for mroe than that? Lots of people 'test' well, but have difficulty managing a game.