The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Alright fellas, I screwed up. I copied and pasted the wrong version of the Nightmare play. The one I posted was an early version of the following play, and as a result, it contained many errors. Sorry about that.

So, instead, I ask that you try this one:

- Bottom of the third

- Bases loaded, no outs

- Pitcher balks but delivers

- Catcher interferes with batter's swing, but he smacks a towering deep fly to right.

- R1 and R3 were off on contact, but R2 remained at his base.

- R1 is obstructed by F3 as he runs to second.

- R1 reaches second, where he and R2 both occupy the base, when R2 pushes R1 back towards first.

- F9 catches the fly ball.

- R2 tags up and begins running toward third.

- R1 retouches and begins advancing to second.

- BR walks dejectedly toward his dugout.

- R3, who had crossed home and entered his dugout, re-emerges, retouches home plate, and retreats back toward third.

- F9's relay throw is wild to F4 but stays in play.

- R2 rounds third as his base coach is pleading with him to stop. The coach moves down the line with his hands raised over his head.

- R2 runs smack into his base coach, and both fall to the ground.

- F4 retrieves the ball, and seeing R2 fall down, fires to F5 to instead get the appeal on R3.

- The ball goes wild past F5 and settles in live ball territory by the third base dugout.

- R3, retreating back to third, runs past R2 and the base coach, who are lying on the ground.

- R3 retouches third, and makes his way home, where he misses home plate.

- R1 rounds third, passing by his coach and teammate still lying in a heap on the ground.

- F1 retrieves the errant throw from in front of the dugout, and fires to F2.

- F2 catches the ball and tries to tag R3, who is trying to get back to touch his missed plate.

- At that moment, R1 gets in the way and touches the plate, and F2 fails to tag anyone.

- Then, R3 finally touches his missed home plate.

- After that, F2 steps on the plate and appeals that R3 missed home plate.

How many runs score? What are the rulings, and calls?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Now you have F9 catching the ball, thus B-R did not reach first, thus enforce the balk.

(OK, what did I miss?)

Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I can't fool anybody!

You guys are too smart. I'm going to hacve to make these things harder. I can't fool anybody.

Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Between the gazillion posts on eTeamz and here I've come to the conclusion that I don't have a clue so if it happens in one of my games I'll just sit in the dugout and go along with whatever y'all rule. Well, maybe not, but . .

BTW: Hayes Davis posted this JEA excerpt on eTeamz this morning.

JEA:

R1 and R3, 1-1 count on the batter and 1 out. The pitcher balks but pitches through. The catcher interferes with the batter's swing, but the batter hits the ball anyway and flies out. R3 tags and scores and R1 tags and advances to 2B on the throw home.

RULING: The catcher's interference situation must be coletely resolved before consideration of the balk situation. On this play, the offensive manager would have the option of having the play stand as it occurred (that is, a run in, a runner on 2B with two outs), or have the penalty for catcher's interference enforced (that is, award the batter lB, which would load the bases with still only one out but no runs in).

However, neither of these results satisfies the balk contingency, that is, that each runner, including the BR, must advance at least one base in order for the balk to be ignored. The batter must be included in your thinking on this play since he did something to become a BR. In the first option, the BR did not advance at least one base; in the second option, R3 did not advance at least one base. Therefore, the balk would have to be enforced: R3 would score; R1 would be awarded 2B; and the batter would be brought back to bat with still a 1-1 count and 1 out.

Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Rich,

Is there something in Hayes' JEA quote that I might be missing? It seems to agree with what I've been saying for a few days on this matter.

Did you post that just to make me feel good? Or did you have another point in mind? (grin)
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just Wanted you to feel good!

BTW, Binghamton NY hosts an annual Legion Tourney, this year July 3-8.

Coventry and West Warwick will be in it (new participants this year.) Any info in them?

http://www.binghamtonpress.com/bingh...ts/Tuosp2.html