The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitcher Goes To Mound (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/1856-pitcher-goes-mound.html)

Ump20 Sun Feb 25, 2001 07:16pm

My understanding of the rules is that in FED the pitcher may touch his pitching hand to his mouth while on the mound as long as he wipes off that hand before it touches the ball. In OBR the pitcher may not touch his pitching hand to his mouth anywhere within the dirt portion of the pitching mound[Baseball Rules Differences 17th Edition *336 [pg 62]

My experience doing Connie Mack ball in the summer is that expectations of pitchers and coaches is that this will be called using OBR the same way it is called in High School i.e. the pitcher can do so on the mound [but not the rubber] as long as he wipes it off. This is the way we call it in Nassau County on Long Island. Any comments?
:rolleyes:

JJ Sun Feb 25, 2001 07:19pm

Your understanding of the FED and OBR interps is correct. Hard to enforce OBR in summer ball with FED players, and much "preventive officiating" is done rather than balk 'em all the time. Coaches appreciate it until tournament time, when they want it called!

Ump20 Sun Feb 25, 2001 07:36pm

Pitcher Goes To MOUTH

Please see the corrected subject. I should have written Mouth rather than "Mound". I made a mistake.

chris s Sun Feb 25, 2001 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ump20
My understanding of the rules is that in FED the pitcher may touch his pitching hand to his mouth while on the mound as long as he wipes off that hand before it touches the ball. In OBR the pitcher may not touch his pitching hand to his mouth anywhere within the dirt portion of the pitching mound[Baseball Rules Differences 17th Edition *336 [pg 62]

My experience doing Connie Mack ball in the summer is that expectations of pitchers and coaches is that this will be called using OBR the same way it is called in High School i.e. the pitcher can do so on the mound [but not the rubber] as long as he wipes it off. This is the way we call it in Nassau County on Long Island. Any comments?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see this all the time, we got Senior Babe Ruth out west here, Colt for the younger ones. Heck, I like the FED rule, saves time and confusion for F1! Just lick and wipe....But, I don't nail em on it in summerball. I like the smiley dude you put in :rolleyes: What coding is this, never seen it before. Any others????

Ump20 Sun Feb 25, 2001 08:38pm

Student To Teacher in Six Seconds

Quote:

Originally posted by chris s
Quote:

Originally posted by Ump20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see this all the time, we got Senior Babe Ruth out west here, Colt for the younger ones. Heck, I like the FED rule, saves time and confusion for F1! Just lick and wipe....But, I don't nail em on it in summerball. I like the smiley dude you put in :rolleyes: What coding is this, never seen it before. Any others????

Amazing how quick you're asked for lessons on something you just learned. Check out Warren's response On Changing Calls. It's posted earlier tonight on the fourth page.

Quote:

Jim, if you click on the link Smilies are ON, which appears on every page, you will see the complete list of available smilies, including this little "rolleyes" guy.

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Feb 25th, 2001 at 05:41 PM]
He gave me the lowdown on how to make Smileys such as :cool: Jim/NY