Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Unhappy

I need some advice from the masses. First, here's some background. I am an umpire of amateur baseball in my fourth year. Since I'm a full-time student, I have never worked any high school games. I have been limited to summer youth leagues, mostly with 13-15 YOs. There seems to be enough time for some HS this spring, finally, so I contacted an association with whom I had worked before and they would love to give me some games, with the promise that "We'll get you up to Varsity as soon as possible."

Then I got their paperwork in the mail. Among the stipulations in the contract are:
  • Pay
    • JV: $29 to start on up to $37 for 40+ games experience.
    • Varsity: $36 to start on up to $44 for 40+ games experience.
    • No difference in pay for games worked alone.
    • Pay is not dispersed until after the end of the season.
  • Availability must be determined by 3 Mar for April-July
  • $10 fine for cancelling an assignment or availability 5 or more business days in advance.
  • $25 fine for cancelling an assignment or availability 1-4 business days in advance.
  • $50 fine for cancelling an assignment same-day
  • $75 no-show fine
  • $200 termination fee if fired or quit before end of season
  • $25 fine for other misc. violations
  • (and I quote) "NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS POLICY WILL BE ALLOWED."

Of course, there are many good things about the contract: they expect us to display professional conduct, wear proper uniform, keep track of our games, attend two meetings, call the client on game day, etc...

Are these conditions normal? I can see myself needing to cancel an assignment perhaps once during the season due to unforseen circumstances; perhaps I will need to adjust my availability a couple weeks in advance.

This association has near a monopoly; 80% of high schools in the Metro area use them.

Any advice? I know it's "my decision", but I'm just not sure. What would you do in my situation, and why?

P-Sz