View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Re: OK, let's talk legal

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Anything that you sign in a contract CAN BE legal, however, the items you have listed are a direct violation of contract law.

It is assumed that you are a sub-contractor to this group. Now that could be a bad assumption on my part (Bad Andy) but normally officiating associations do not withhold, not only taxes but also, social security and other state mandated fees. Because you are a sub-contractor there can be NO FINE system.
==================

Contract law (and the Federal IRS rules) dictate that ONLY a direct employer can institute work rules that include negative payment plans.

Now don't get me wrong . . . even with the fact that these penalties are the STIFFEST I have ever heard of and are contract illegal, they can become acceptable IF you sign the agreement (i.e. that means that you are giving up your rights).

In our local there are no fees for canceling jobs . . . if you miss an assignment you are normally suspended. Fees are fees all over and that is hard to judge.

It is a crap shoot . . . you sign up and work, get the games and hope you don't fall to the penalty group.

Pretty ballsy group.

Tee

BTW, it is against the law to fine someone for firing them. Under all laws.
They make it clear that I am an independent contractor, and they are not paying me. My clients are the schools, and they only provide assignment serivce, bill the schools, and then pay me from the money they get from the schools.

And they can fine me $200 for being fired, if I agree to it, right?

P-Sz