The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

With all this talk about what is a lodged ball and what isn't, I would appreciate an answer to this question.

Last year I had a play where there was a routine play at first with no one on. F6 over throws first and the ball sticks in the chain link fence, about shoulder high. It remained there for maybe two seconds and then F3 plucked it right out of the fence and held the runner at first.

I knew about the FED lodged rule at the time, but I did not kill the play and let F3 pull the ball out. To me, at that time, the ball was not "lodged". Though now I am not sure what the call should be?

Does FED want the play above killed instantly? If they do, I guess I'll have to call it that way. Somehow though, it just doesn't seem right. If the kid can just pull the ball right off the fence, why kill the play and award a base?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Emphasis added

JEA Says: "Professional Interpretation: A ball which lodges only momentarily and then immediately comes out shall be kept in play as long as it remains in sight."

J/R Says: "If a ball impacts something, stops abruptly, and does not fall or roll immediately, it has lodged."

I have a lodged ball in your play.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:27pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Kaliix asked, "Does FED want the play above killed instantly? If they do, I guess I'll have to call it that way. Somehow though, it just doesn't seem right. If the kid can just pull the ball right off the fence, why kill the play and award a base?"

I'm not familiar with FED's rule on lodged balls, but it seems to me that it would be easier to kill play right away and award bases, rather than wait to see if the kid CAN pull the ball out of the fence. A lodged ball is a lodged ball, and shouldn't be judged on the ability of the player to dislodge it. What one kid may be able to pull out of the fence, another may not.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

immediately comes out

I guess that means the ball comes out on its own and is not snatched by a fielder, even immediately.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

It seems OBR are actually clear on this point. 7.05 (g) states that the award is "Two bases when... a thrown ball... remains in the meshes of a wire screen protecting spectators."

I guess FED is only following OBR. Go figure.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

IMO

Ball is dead immediately.

ex: Ball is thrown into an open dugout, ball bounces back and runner is thrown out/picked off.

ex: ball is thrown which lands in a helmet or equipment bag left out, defensive player fumbles trying to retrieve ball, runner goes to third. (had that happen)