The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Heard on the radio that the Arizona Fall League in an effort to speed up the game was requiring that the batter keep One foot in the box. Except for certain situations such as pitcher leaving the dirt, wild pitch etc. My question in pro ball could this work? Personally any thing to speed uo 4 hour 9 inning games would be great.

What do you guys think?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:27am

My question:

Why does the batter need to leave the box? Sometimes there is a good reason, sometimes not. We can already control that scene. BTW, what was the penalty if he stepped out?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
My question:

Why does the batter need to leave the box? Sometimes there is a good reason, sometimes not. We can already control that scene. BTW, what was the penalty if he stepped out?
Do you think such a rule would work in the Show. Don't know what the penalty is.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

The rule would work if they enforced the rule. ESPN may not like it because they would have to cut down on the number of ads for baseball tonight during the delays.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

The rule already exists in NCAA and FED. Called strike is the penalty in both. However, I have not called one, or seen it called. The batters are generally well trained on this subject and a reminder here and there is all that is needed to keep them near the box. What I hate is summer leagues under OBR where batters will step completely out, get signs, take a couple practice swings and then step back in. Every pitch takes more time than it should and adds 15 minutes to the game time. It is the one rule I always suggest if a summer league commissioner asks how we can speed up the games. Then I suggest they abolish the run for the catcher rule, because it rarely saves time.

[Edited by DG on Nov 19th, 2004 at 01:06 PM]
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 03:08pm

Would the rule work in the show?

No. When an umpire tops out at $300K and the guy stepping out of the box makes that every couple of weeks, enforcing it will be a joke.

Over the course of a game, you'll save just a few minutes. The bigger worry is the pitcher that takes his sweet a** time, shakes off the sign and then doesn't like your call.
It's still just three hours at a Pro game. Even when the Cubs are getting kicked, those few hours seem to fly. People complain too much. They should all be chipper and carefree, like moi.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Would the rule work in the show?

No. When an umpire tops out at $300K and the guy stepping out of the box makes that every couple of weeks, enforcing it will be a joke.

Over the course of a game, you'll save just a few minutes. The bigger worry is the pitcher that takes his sweet a** time, shakes off the sign and then doesn't like your call.
It's still just three hours at a Pro game. Even when the Cubs are getting kicked, those few hours seem to fly. People complain too much. They should all be chipper and carefree, like moi.
Thanks for the laugh Windy! Really, where can I get that stuff Rut says you are smokin'?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 11:39am

Like the sign above the urinal...

I aim to please, will you please aim, too?

Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Have you guys heard about the new fifth base rule?

They want to add a fifth base, where the short stop position is, requiring you to stop between what is now 2nd and 3rd. It started in New Zealand, and it has been brewing at the collegiate level.

Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaenash

Have you guys heard about the new fifth base rule?

They want to add a fifth base, where the short stop position is, requiring you to stop between what is now 2nd and 3rd. It started in New Zealand, and it has been brewing at the collegiate level.

Little early for April Fools Day.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

No seriously,

I expected some doubts, but if you go back to the original Knickerbocker Rules there are provisions for this.

"If there shall be a sufficient number of members of the Club present at the time agreed upon to commence exercise, The presiding officer shall designate a fifth base, and the bases shall be from "home" to second base, forty-two paces; from first to third base, twenty two-two paces, and from third to fourth,twenty two-two paces, equidistant"

While later chosen to be overturned.

I believe this is making its way back into sports due in no small part to the Swedish Brännboll which I am sure as you know, is wildly chaotic and unstructured in comparison.

Now as you all know, in 1969 Magor league baseball made some signifigant changes in regards to pitching, and during that time the Knickerbocker rules were updated so that the version today, doesn't include all the same references. But if you will refer back to your Haney’s Baseball Book of Reference: The Revised Rules of the Game for 1867 then you shall see where the influence comes from.

Granted, its unlikely to be adopted at the collegiate level, but you should be aware of its growth in popularity as a hybrid.

I am sure you all know most of the rules have changed and why, and relate to some of the many memorable episodes in baseball in which the rules have played a central role: the famed "Pine Tar Game," the beaning of Ray Chapman, etc et. al.

Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No seriously,

I expected some doubts, but if you go back to the original Knickerbocker Rules there are provisions for this.

"If there shall be a sufficient number of members of the Club present at the time agreed upon to commence exercise, The presiding officer shall designate a fifth base, and the bases shall be from "home" to second base, forty-two paces; from first to third base, twenty two-two paces, and from third to fourth,twenty two-two paces, equidistant"

While later chosen to be overturned.

I believe this is making its way back into sports due in no small part to the Swedish Brännboll which I am sure as you know, is wildly chaotic and unstructured in comparison.

Now as you all know, in 1969 Magor league baseball made some signifigant changes in regards to pitching, and during that time the Knickerbocker rules were updated so that the version today, doesn't include all the same references. But if you will refer back to your Haney’s Baseball Book of Reference: The Revised Rules of the Game for 1867 then you shall see where the influence comes from.

Granted, its unlikely to be adopted at the collegiate level, but you should be aware of its growth in popularity as a hybrid.

I am sure you all know most of the rules have changed and why, and relate to some of the many memorable episodes in baseball in which the rules have played a central role: the famed "Pine Tar Game," the beaning of Ray Chapman, etc et. al.

What a pile of horsesh!t

Knickerbocker Rules
by Alexander J. Cartwright
September 23, 1845

1ST. Members must strictly observe the time agreed upon for exercise, and be punctual in their attendance.

2ND. When assembled for exercise, the President, of in his absence, the Vice-President, shall appoint an Umpire, who shall keep the game in a book provided for that purpose, and note all violations of the By-Laws and Rules during the time of exercise.

3RD. The presiding officer shall designate two members as Captains, who shall retire and make the match to be played, observing at the same time that the player's opposite to each other should be as nearly equal as possible, the choice of sides to be then tossed for, and the first in hand to be decided in like manner.

4TH. The bases shall be from "home" to second base, forty-two paces; from first to third base, forty-two paces, equidistant.

5TH. No stump match shall be played on a regular day of exercise.

6TH. If there should not be a sufficient number of members of the Club present at the time agreed upon to commence exercise, gentlemen not members may be chosen in to make up the match, which shall not be broken up to take in members that may afterwards appear; but in all cases, members shall have the preference, when present, at the making of the match.

7TH. If members appear after the game is commenced, they may be chosen in if mutually agreed upon.

8TH. The game to consist of twenty-one counts, or aces; but at the conclusion an equal number of hands must be played.

9TH. The ball must be pitched, not thrown, for the bat.

10TH. A ball knocked out of the field, or outside the range of the first and third base, is foul.

11TH. Three balls being struck at and missed and the last one caught, is a hand-out; if not caught is considered fair, and the striker bound to run.

12TH. If a ball be struck, or tipped, and caught, either flying or on the first bound, it is a hand out.

13TH. A player running the bases shall be out, if the ball is in the hands of an adversary on the base, or the runner is touched with it before he makes his base; it being understood, however, that in no instance is a ball to be thrown at him.

14TH. A player running who shall prevent an adversary from catching or getting the ball before making his base, is a hand out.

15TH. Three hands out, all out.

16TH. Players must take their strike in regular turn.

17TH. All disputes and differences relative to the game, to be decided by the Umpire, from which there is no appeal.

18TH. No ace or base can be made on a foul strike.

19TH. A runner cannot be put out in making one base, when a balk is made on the pitcher.

20TH. But one base allowed when a ball bounds out of the field when struck.

Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said, what you probably did was take those from the versions that float around the net, that were amended in 1969. Did you copy those from your Haney's? or just do a quick cut and paste from a google search?

Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Like I said, what you probably did was take those from the versions that float around the net, that were amended in 1969. Did you copy those from your Haney's? or just do a quick cut and paste from a google search?

Hey have you heard about the new sixth base rule? Makes about as much sense as the fifth base rule. Get serious!!!!!!!!! Get serious. Do you think we're stupid!!!!!!!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Lets not make this personal, with insults and flame wars, my friend.

Besides, that is a loaded question Gordon. The law of averages does indicate that some of you on this board, will infact be stupid. Don't be one of them.

Now, a sixth base rule that is completely ludicrous. Where would it be located? We are talking about adding a base where the short stop position is played.

Now if you want to talk facts, lets talk facts, but I am not going to take it down to that personal attack level. Thats just not me.

Closed Thread