The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Is it me, or has anyone else noticed the seeming to be tight strike zone for the World Series so far?

It just seems like the umpires are being a little tighter with the strike zone then normal. Has anyone else noticed as well?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Hadn't noticed it actually. I don't know if I could even comment on the strike zone I see in St. Louis. That is a weird camera angle that they have there at Busch Stadium and I can't really tell where the pitch is.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have noticed (east and west) they have been very tight however it has been pretty consistent. Now as far as last nights game, well north and south seemed a little erractic. Especially south. He was pretty consistaent not calling anything above the belt, but you just weren't so sure what the low pitch was going to be called. I thought he was having a tough time myself. It looked like it took Martineze 2 innings to adjust and then boom he called some lower than usuall pitches??? Overall though, I thought the low pitch was not consistent for either team. As far as the Cardinals pitchers, well they just didn't have that good of night on the mound or bases.

Deems the breaks.

Just my obsevation!
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I am glad that I was not the only one noticing the samething either. Mind you, I am in no way bashing the umpires that the honor of working the plate this World Series, because of the resumes all of the World Series Umpires bring to the table, but I was just asking around to see what others thought.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Meriweather's zone last night looked awfully tight. Gave very little on the corners, at least as I saw it.

EDIT: Interesting note I found in the STL Post-Dispatch today, about the Cardinals' opinion of Meriwether's zone (boldface mine):

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Careful not to detract from the Red Sox's superior play, a number of Cardinals privately objected to what they believed were different strike zones given the Red Sox pitchers contrasted to their own.

"We hit to a larger strike zone and pitched to a smaller one," complained one team member after Wednesday's elimination. During Wednesday's game, La Russa retreated to the video room to confirm his suspicions by watching tape. He then challenged plate umpire Chuck Meriwether after the third inning. Left fielder John Mabry reacted strongly to a third-strike call in the fifth when Meriwether ruled he had not foul tipped the last pitch.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Intriguing to me that he went in the clubhouse during the game to review the PU's zone and complain!

Just reinforces that in the 24/7 FoxWorld, nothing, but nothing, escapes instant review and instant judgement.

[Edited by LMan on Oct 29th, 2004 at 10:04 AM]
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Yeah...it's Merriweather's fault the Cardinals absolutely rolled over for 4 games....Whatever, Rat!!!
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

"We hit to a larger strike zone and pitched to a smaller one," complained one team member after Wednesday's elimination."

Had that been truly the case, they may have won. It was obvious to me, that they didn't do much hitting at all.