View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Meriweather's zone last night looked awfully tight. Gave very little on the corners, at least as I saw it.

EDIT: Interesting note I found in the STL Post-Dispatch today, about the Cardinals' opinion of Meriwether's zone (boldface mine):

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Careful not to detract from the Red Sox's superior play, a number of Cardinals privately objected to what they believed were different strike zones given the Red Sox pitchers contrasted to their own.

"We hit to a larger strike zone and pitched to a smaller one," complained one team member after Wednesday's elimination. During Wednesday's game, La Russa retreated to the video room to confirm his suspicions by watching tape. He then challenged plate umpire Chuck Meriwether after the third inning. Left fielder John Mabry reacted strongly to a third-strike call in the fifth when Meriwether ruled he had not foul tipped the last pitch.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Intriguing to me that he went in the clubhouse during the game to review the PU's zone and complain!

Just reinforces that in the 24/7 FoxWorld, nothing, but nothing, escapes instant review and instant judgement.

[Edited by LMan on Oct 29th, 2004 at 10:04 AM]