The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I am still seeking info on those guys that wear glasses and the hockey masks. What's the feel, how well do they come off and the vision aspect through the mask.

Also, I am looking at the Plus Pos bb2000, give me some imput.

Thanks Mike
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Mike,

With regards to glasses, are you asking about regular glasses or sunglasses? I do not wear my glasses when I work, but I do wear sunglasses, and they stay right in place when I take my hockey mask off.

As far as Plus POS's version of the hockey mask, I have not tried it so I can give you any details of it. I prefer the All Star but that is my personal preference. I am not a real big POS equipment fan.

But, this is just one umpire's opinion.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I think the BB2000 is the Umpire ArmorĀ® Heavy-Duty Chest Protector.

I was considering purchasing this as my new chest protector. I went with the Honig's Pro-Elite Protector and I am happy with my choice. The umpire armor looked like it would be much heavier than the pro-elite. In fact, the pro-elite was so lite, I almost thought they forgot to put it in the box when they shipped it.

The other thing I like is that I don't have to deal with arm straps any more. The plates on the pos model are numerous but small and I am not sure how well those small plates would disperse the impact of a ball.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I have a BB2000, and the small plates do work fine. I never feel anything when I get hit. If you get hit directly in the shoulder, you will feel it, but other than that I like it a lot. The other reason I like it is because it comes in larger sizes than the WVs. The WV Gold only comes in 12" and the Platinum in 13.5", while the BB2000 come in up to 16".
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, LDUB makes a good point, the extra length was important to me too. The pro-elite comes in 12" or 14" lengths, with the ability to add another 2" to 4" on the bottom. I took to many shots below the end of my old protector and the extra length was worth it for me. Also, both protectors cover that exposed area where you chest and armpit meet. I also kept getting hit there with no protection.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I wear my sunglasses with my hockey mask and have no problems getting it off and keeping my glasses on.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Not a problem.

You take your helmet off with the same out and up motion you use for your mask. With a helmet, you don't have to rush getting it off because you can see so well with it on. If things are happening fast, like a squeeze play at home, with a secondary throw to another base afterwards, just leave it on.

As a matter of fact, you could probably get away with some gigantic 70's styles in the helmet if you wanted to !

Nick
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

just as a data point, one of the umps here locally got his ear busted up pretty badly from a foul ball the other day....went off his shoulder pad up into his ear, right behind the facemask extension. Bled a good deal, and his ear is one big black-and-blue mess now

..couldnt help thinking, while talking to him, that a hockey-style mask might have saved his ear...