Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Because I thought it was inflamatory. Not all of it, to be sure, but substantial parts of it (the beginning and the end, iirc). Resubmit it w/out the personal attacks.

[/B]
Thank you, Bob. I imagine I speak for many of us on this site in saying that these tiresome and long-winded personal attacks distract from the useful content that is supposed to be the purpose of this site.

And I think your strategy of deleting entire posts rather than merely the offending portions is a good one. Keep up the good work.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

You've got to be kidding me, Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Why is my post gone? I saw it here. I submitted it, and saw that it was posted, and now see that it is gone.

It was not nearly as inflamatory as many of the others.

Again, why is my post gone .... oooh anonymous deleter?
Becaue I thought it was inflamatory. Not all of it, to be sure, but substantial parts of it (the beginning and the end, iirc). Resubmit it w/out the personal attacks.

Resubmit? Resubmit what? Do you think I keep copies of my submissions?

You must have been having a bad day if you thought my post was worse than the continual bickering banter that lately seems to fill the threads of this forum.

There was no name calling on my part. No childish arguments on my part. Just pointing out that there is a lot of those activities going on in WHAT MUST BE YOUR FORUM, BOB. Yours and that other guy who I mentioned acted as though he was on a personal task of setting the world straight. Thank goodness you squelched me before somebody else noticed these activities.

These threads with endless boobing back and forth between half a dozen whiners ... aaah what's the use? Moderate away, Bob.

Well somebody thinks you're doing a good job of maintenance... of course they didn't get to read my "inflamatory" post. They probably still think interference for A-Rod would have been a good call, too. Nice.

Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 04:35pm

I, for one, welcome the opportunity to digest the rich intellect of your postings here. Having had more than my share of posts deleted, I understand the power of the "submit" button. Once it is out there...

As has been stated here many a time, officials should be used to a little abuse. We are chided for our very opinion - sometimes, just for showing up at the field! A little banter is good for thickening up the skin. The problem is that some of the members here take the issues personally and attack without reading the entire message. We can all disagree about rulings, interps, mechanics, etc. Some of us are more eloquent than others and enjoy the dialogue. This Board can help inmore ways that its' original design. Rookies learn that there are more than one way to make a call or handle a situation. Veterans learn new mechanics and alternative ways to officiate. What works on your field in your neighborhood may not be effective in my yard. But I urge you to stop, read, absorb and decide for yourself.

Officiating involves egos and power struggles. In a perfect world, we would all be equal and know as much as anyone else. That is not the case and some of us can offer different persepctives and inject a new way of thinking. I've said it before, an official's job is to convince others that he is right. Why is it so hard to fathom that some of believe that we are "more correct" than others?

In "The Untouchables" movie, Sean Connery made a comment about bringing a knife to a gunfight. Some of our members argue in that same way. Convincing a hothead coach that his kid just balked the winning run in is a lot tougher, but we learn how and what to say. Maybe some of our members are learning right now.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Totally disagree

WCB ,
I have noticed that on occasion you make a good point or two....the problem is that you shovel so much crap out there that those good points are buried ! I for one have stopped reading anything with your name attached to it because of this and that is a shame because I do feel like you have some good things to say....I just don't have the time to sift thru all the garbage to get to it .
So because someone is an official that person should have tough skin in their personal life and not be offended when someone insults them outside of the playing field/arena ......that is one of the silliest things I have ever heard ?

I am on this board to learn from others more experienced then I(primarily on the basketball site because I officiate but I come to the baseball site because I played and I currently coach) and your antics on this board just make it less enjoyable .
This is just one man's opinion....
Closed Thread