The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I am attending umpire school this year, and was thinking the other day about the process of how I chose which one to go to. I was wondering which one have you chosen, either this year, or in the past, and how did you make that choice?
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:36am

Before you write that big check or give them your credit card number, define your goals.

1) Are you going to attend with the dream of making it to the Bigs?

2) Are you attending so that you will be the best umpire you can be?

3) Who are the instructors this year? Will Fitz be present for any of the sessions?

4) If you are hoping to get a contract, how many openings are they anticipating this coming season?

5) Are you willing to change EVERYTHING you know about umpiring?

All of the academies are good. They want to find the next great umpire and are geared to doing that. Even if you don't make it, you'll be better than most when you return.

Good luck!
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Wendlestedts was the best investment I ever made. I went in 1990 and was roommate with Paul Schreiber and was best buds with Sam Holbrook. The best time of my life!
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you want to read
Rick Roder - Baseball's Narrowest Door

It might help you with the decision since grads and instructors from the different schools offer their view. You can also find a bunch of other information.

Raoul
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

ump3,

I went to Evans three years ago and it was a great experience. I was fortunate enough to get make it out of pbuc with a job and have been working in the minors for the past three years. With that being said, I know people who have gone to both schools and both schools are excellent. They will both teach you what you need to know in order to get a chance in pro ball.
I would say that Evans' is a little more structured than Harry's. You will not work actual games if you go to Jimmy's--you'll do simulated (set-up) situations that will test your ability to handle situations and arguments. At Harry's, you will do actual games, usually high school games and will be able to show what you can do. Both schools will teach you the rules just fine. But Jim himself is the best I've ever heard talking about the rules of baseball. At Harry's, there are a lot more big league guys on staff who are great and can teach a ton about umpiring. At Jimmy's, it will be all minor league guys who will do a great job teaching you the two man system and telling you what it's like to work in the low and high minor leagues.
Saying all that, I wouldn't worry about what school to choose as much as making sure you know what your goal by going to school is. If you want a job, go there in shape and work as hard as you can for five weeks and let the chips fall where they may. Keep your mouth shut by not asking dumb questions, but do what you can to be noticed. Reading "The Narrowest Door" by Rick Roder will probably be a great eye opener. It'll tell you about the slim odds of making it out of school and the even much slimmer odds of ever stepping foot on a big league field.
If you are able to get a job, it's the best job and it's the worst job. Being able to step on a professional field everyday and only working a few hours is a great job, but the pay isn't good, the travel will start to wear on you, there's a ton of time doing nothing in cities where you don't know anyone, and after eight or nine years, baseball might tell you "thanks," but go find something else to do. So just make sure you know what you're getting into and what you want to accomplish because that's much more important than what school you will attend. Even if you don't make it, I guarantee you'll remember the experience forever. Good luck. I hope you make it.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your input, all of you. I've decided to attend Harry's. For a couple reasons:
First, I new someone that went there, and could actually give me first hand, in person knowledge about the school.
I looked at both schools and they both look great, but I think that overall, Harry's is the best for the education, and definately best for the money.
This is especially since Harry has added videotaped cagework and a new meal plan this year. Those were some things that gave Jimmy an advantage, but no there is no difference.
The staff is another reason. Both schools have young guys instructing, but only Harry's has Big League guys.
I also called Jim's and no one returned my phone call. I tried to contact a couple of instructors, but none returned my email. When I wrote Harry's, I had a return email that day. Later on I spoke with Hunter, who told me that they have real games and simulated situations, so they can be completely prepared for everything, but that we also get the live game experience. Anyhow, that's where I am going. Again, thank you for your help.