The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

There are too many personal attack in this forum. This should be used as an exchange of ideas and viewpoints. There are probably a lot of newbies who would like to ask questions but are reluctant to because they may get flamed. Quite frankly I could care less what level you work at. There are lots of guys doing high school varsity and juco that because of jobs or family can't travel and do D1. And there are a lot of guys doing park district and various leagues that would be excellent high school officials but can't get off early to do high school games.

I don't want to hear how great you are. If you have something to share please do so. Remember what your mother said if can't say something nice about someone just keep it to yourself.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
There are too many personal attack in this forum. This should be used as an exchange of ideas and viewpoints. There are probably a lot of newbies who would like to ask questions but are reluctant to because they may get flamed. Quite frankly I could care less what level you work at. There are lots of guys doing high school varsity and juco that because of jobs or family can't travel and do D1. And there are a lot of guys doing park district and various leagues that would be excellent high school officials but can't get off early to do high school games.

I don't want to hear how great you are. If you have something to share please do so. Remember what your mother said if can't say something nice about someone just keep it to yourself.
Who died and made you den mother?
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Angry bickering

I totally agree with Gordon.There are a few people here
who seem determined to ruin it for the rest of us,with
their personal attacks,rebuttals to attacks,and general
sarcasm to their fellow man.
I personally am sick of hearing how great some of you
think you are,and how certain others aren't worthy of
carrying your jock and cup.The more I hear how good you
are,the less I believe.Are you trying to convince readers,
or yourselves? The way I see it,if you're really good,folks
know it without your having to sell them on it.The only ones
who's opinions matter are the coaches,players,and administrators of
the games we work,and the partners that work with us.If they have no faith,one's career will be short-lived,
regardless of what umpires in this forum think.
I enjoy the advice of other,more experienced umpires,
but I am quite able to pick and choose whom and what to
rely upon.I read most posts,take what I think will work,
and leave the rest behind,without regard to who agrees
with the poster.
BTW,what's in the water in the Chicago area?? It seems a
lot of the garbage on the board comes from that vicinity....

Just one man's opinion.

[Edited by umpduck11 on Oct 13th, 2004 at 10:44 PM]
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Who is Rich Blumenthal?

Resumes are important. It helps to know what an umpire has done to effectively evaluate his ideas. If all someone has worked is little league baseball, his ideas will have little or no application to high school or college.

This is true in all walks of life, not only umpiring. The concept that everyone's ideas are equally valid is feel good, liberal bulls%$#.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: bickering

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
BTW,what's in the water in the Chicago area?? It seems a
lot of the garbage on the board comes from that vicinity....

Just one man's opinion.
I find it interesting that you on one hand talk about how sad it is to personally attack people. Then in your last statement you slam an entire area. I have read this board for some time; I do not see a monopoly on what area has people that people that behave badly on getting into attack wars. I do recall we have people that have been associated directly from this site have gotten into flame wars. Actually as a matter of fact there are more people from this area that do not at all get into any conflicts at all. The thing is you probably have no idea who they are.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
Resumes are important. It helps to know what an umpire has done to effectively evaluate his ideas.
Sparky,
Umpire resumes are like job resumes - they only help you get to the interview. Once you're there, face to face, it's is a different story.

Personally, umpire experience is only half the battle. The other half, and probably the most important, is ATTITUDE. There are guys with 5 years of pro ball experience that I would never walk on the field with because their attitude $uck$. There are also guys with only high school and JUCO level of experience that I would go to "battle" with.

Like I said before, you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of partner you have within the first couple innings you work with him. As far as I'm concerned, when we step out on the field together, resumes go out the window. We are a team out there and no one on the crew, including the crew chief, is better than any other member on the team.

Last but not least, and I'm sure you've heard this before, when you get to a certain level in umpiring, everyone is fairly even at the calling balls & strikes and safes & outs. What separates the good from the great is handling situations. Attitude and communication skills are two very important aspects to handling situations both on and off the field. This is where I think you/WCB & I differ and I'll leave it at that.

Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco

Attitude and communication skills are two very important aspects to handling situations both on and off the field. This is where I think you/WCB & I differ and I'll leave it at that.

Sal,

My original posts directed at you were meant to poke fun at WindBag. He endlessly trots out his resume to impress us. Unforunately the humor passed you by, which is understandable since you have not been here long.

I want to know a poster's resume. While a resume won't do anything on a baseball diamond, on the internet it's a valuable evaluation tool. You've provided adequate proof that you're a D2 NCAA regional umpire. I know you didn't get to that level without knowing something about umpiring. It helps me evaluate where you're coming from.

OTOH, I'm not satisfied that WCB is anything but a windbag with a made up resume. That's where my barbs were directed.

Peace (not Rut's definition)

Bob
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Who died and made you den mother?
Rich,
I think gordon30307 made a reasonable observation and request.
mick
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...You've provided adequate proof that you're a D2 NCAA regional umpire. I know you didn't get to that level without knowing something about umpiring. It helps me evaluate where you're coming from.[/B]
Bob,
With all due respect, I never brought any specific references about my umpire experience. Personally, I want to be judged by the content of the information I provide, not by what I've done on the field.

Yes, I am fairly new here and unfortuneately, your humor did pass me by. I apologize for any sarcastic replies directed toward you and I want to put this whole thing behind us. Now I know what Windy City Blue is all about and I will take his comments with a "grain of salt".

Thanks for clearing the air and let the bickering end!
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 11:01am

Bob,
You've thrown two names out there that aren't even close to what Bob Jenkins mentioned. Can you read? My resume will become quite clear when you find Bob's comments. That should put to rest all of your suppositions and Sal's misguided rhetoric. I can't help you much more than that.

To all: Umpires are judged for their decisions. The calls we make bring heat and praise. We know that from the time we don our uniforms that we are targets. This site is devoted to expressing opinions regarding technique, equipment, mechanics and rulings. Our membership has the opportunity to voice their feelngs and register comments. When you do this, you have again become a target. That said, I have attempted to reason with many of those with whom I have become embattled. Much like Carville and Hannity, we will never see eye to eye. However, the dialogue generated does make a difference. I agree that the name calling and back handed compliments seem petty, but again they serve a purpose. I respect those that can parry and defend their positions. We may never agree, but we will both walk away having learned something. In the case of a mechanic, I will always be aware of the contrary view and may even try it.

There are some people that come here looking for glory and congratulations. Some of us remain anonymous and offer our insight to enliven debate or correct an issue. What I take form these dialogues is the same thing I get in business. Many people have many ways to get the job done. Some are ball busters and some are coddlers. I choose not to enable. However, what I have brought to the table are years of working some pretty good ball. Dismissing resumes because you don't like the individual is a bad way of doing business. Never underestimate your opponent. When two of us engage in a war of words here, we can only offer more words to substantiate our claims. I choose to read the original posts and see the substance that began the war. The fluff that follows is flag waving. I've offered plenty of solid advice here and challenged some of the brightest minds on this Board. At teh end of the day, I can go to sleep content with the knowledge that someone learned a different way to think or act. It's the same way on the field - watch everyone and glean the things that will make you stronger. Finally, remember what we learned when we were toddlers - "Stick and stones... it is the umpire's creed.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
Quote:
Resumes are important. It helps to know what an umpire has done to effectively evaluate his ideas.

Like I said before, you can get a pretty good idea of what kind of partner you have within the first couple innings you work with him. As far as I'm concerned, when we step out on the field together, resumes go out the window. We are a team out there and no one on the crew, including the crew chief, is better than any other member on the team.

Last but not least, and I'm sure you've heard this before, when you get to a certain level in umpiring, everyone is fairly even at the calling balls & strikes and safes & outs. What separates the good from the great is handling situations. Attitude and communication skills are two very important aspects to handling situations both on and off the field. This is where I think you/WCB & I differ and I'll leave it at that.

You hit the nail right on the head. What you're alluding to is game management and good people skills. All things being equal (Knowledge of rules and good mechanics) this is what separates the good competent umpire from the great one.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Whatever Windy.

You win. You are the greatest. We are all just a speck in your world.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Why isn't Windy's name on the WS list?

He sure SOUNDS qualified.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 03:01pm

Re: Whatever Windy.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

You win. You are the greatest. We are all just a speck in your world.

Peace
Finally, we see eye to eye! But, it shouldn't be "we".
You should use "I am just..." instead.

Thank you!
Closed Thread