View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 11:01am

Bob,
You've thrown two names out there that aren't even close to what Bob Jenkins mentioned. Can you read? My resume will become quite clear when you find Bob's comments. That should put to rest all of your suppositions and Sal's misguided rhetoric. I can't help you much more than that.

To all: Umpires are judged for their decisions. The calls we make bring heat and praise. We know that from the time we don our uniforms that we are targets. This site is devoted to expressing opinions regarding technique, equipment, mechanics and rulings. Our membership has the opportunity to voice their feelngs and register comments. When you do this, you have again become a target. That said, I have attempted to reason with many of those with whom I have become embattled. Much like Carville and Hannity, we will never see eye to eye. However, the dialogue generated does make a difference. I agree that the name calling and back handed compliments seem petty, but again they serve a purpose. I respect those that can parry and defend their positions. We may never agree, but we will both walk away having learned something. In the case of a mechanic, I will always be aware of the contrary view and may even try it.

There are some people that come here looking for glory and congratulations. Some of us remain anonymous and offer our insight to enliven debate or correct an issue. What I take form these dialogues is the same thing I get in business. Many people have many ways to get the job done. Some are ball busters and some are coddlers. I choose not to enable. However, what I have brought to the table are years of working some pretty good ball. Dismissing resumes because you don't like the individual is a bad way of doing business. Never underestimate your opponent. When two of us engage in a war of words here, we can only offer more words to substantiate our claims. I choose to read the original posts and see the substance that began the war. The fluff that follows is flag waving. I've offered plenty of solid advice here and challenged some of the brightest minds on this Board. At teh end of the day, I can go to sleep content with the knowledge that someone learned a different way to think or act. It's the same way on the field - watch everyone and glean the things that will make you stronger. Finally, remember what we learned when we were toddlers - "Stick and stones... it is the umpire's creed.