The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Since I have begun umpiring, I have been in a very unique situation. When I started, I was attending college away from home and picked up umpiring through the certification class as I was someday hoping to become a HS baseball coach. Now that I've been involved, I don't know if I could ever "cross over the foul line" and become a coach due to the passion I have for umpiring.
Now, I am finished with school and working in a new area. The association I have joined is a small, rural, "good ol' boys" group with poor mechanics and professionalism. The association I was a member of while a college student emphasized these umpiring characteristics and took pride in the fact that it was done properly.
It is frustrating, as I'm sure many of you can relate, working with a partner who lacks these important attributes. Instead of just complaining about them, I have decided that I want to become involved and fix the problems that I see. Here is my question for you...What would be my best approach towards this task? Here are the ideas I've come up with and please share your own or give your opinions on mine.

1. Approach the local association secretary and explain to him that I would like to organize and put on a mechanics clinic this coming spring prior to the season. It will focus on mechanics (plate/base work), rules, and professionalism.

2. I will start my own umpires association. It will start out small with umpires who I know work the correct mechanics and display proper professionalism and continue to emphasize them. With time, build a reputation for the new association and then keep the high standard with new members upon which it was founded.

I definitely understand that both of these will create some conflict but I truly feel that something different needs to be done. Some people tell me...
"If it ain't broke don't fix it. The players, fans, and coaches don't know umpiring should be any different, so why change it."

What are your opinions and some advice on the best way to go about it.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

You are in a tough spot. If you start your own association you might never get games to work. Since you have no credibility (no offense intended) you won't be taken seriously if you try to run a clinic. Why not get someone who they respect to do training such as a clinician (Contact the local high school association they would be happy to help) who trains Fed Umpires. In the meantime try to get involved as a board member and work within the organization to change their attitude. Rather than work with "the good old boys" try to find a partner who shares your desire to use proper mechanics. The Coaches will notice if you and your partner do a good job. Good Luck.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

1B: volunteer to ORGANISE a clinic, and arrange for a Big Dog with some credibility from outside your immediate area to come in and lead the clinic, or at least a big part of it.

My Assn is [relatively] small & rural, but the guys in charge [now] are pretty serious about trying to get everybody to "do it the right way" [or at least, OUR way]. Our training committee has used this tactic on several occasions. We have brought in several Big Dogs, including the top assigner/trainer for one of the most important College Assns on the East Coast [no, not HHH's from the DC area, but we've used some of their top guys, too]. It has never cost us more than a truly nominal honorarium & food. Big Dogs are often show-offs, who are really happy to have a bunch of lil' dogs listening with rapt attention.

Your offering to "put on the clinic" isn't likely to work, unless you have some credentials/ credibility you haven't mentioned: the "good ol' boys" will simply dismiss you as a newby smart-a$$ know-it-all. They may not change to follow the direction of even a certified Big Dog, but they'll have trouble convining anyone else with a desire to be a better umpire to stay in the dark ages with them.

Until you have a cadre of known, experienced and like-minded top umpires willing to go along with you, option 2 [form your own Assn] is a non-starter: once you do have the cadre, taking over the exising structure is less work; plus you can keep the hard core good ol' boys around for the horrible games nobody really wants to be assigned to, and for which they are "good enough".
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Listen and Learn

You won't change the good old boys. They are plenty content and have no reason to change.

You will not be accepted as a Big Dog to hold your own clinic/school. If you tried it would be you and the few complete newbies.

Better, would be just continue working and doing a great job. You will become notice by the coaches and soon you will get the good games while the old boys fade (probably several seasons/years). Not a very acceptable answer to you, I'm sure.

Even if you hold a clinic and invite a Big Dog your attendance will still be limited (more than if you held it yourself). You still won't get the Good Old Boys - they don't respect the game and they don't respect good officials. They are there for the money, the commradery with their buddies, the sunshine, perhaps the positional authority... and little else.

Not sure there is a really good answer. Good Luck, however you tackle this turtle!
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that.

You first have to establish yourself as a person without a personal agenda. Someone who is truly interested in advancing the quality of officiating within the association. At the same time, everyone of your assignments has to be handled as professional as you can possibly make it. You can NOT be critical of even the worst of officials you work with. Be constructive and helpful at ALL times. This will gain you friends, respect and most of all support that you will need to work within the association.

Volunteer for evertything and do a top job at it. I almost guarentee you will find that the majority of the officials in your group really want to bring about change also. A lot of times, when members use the "good ole boys" statement, they really mean that they want to be catered to and don't like it if they aren't getting ALL the good games. And sometimes, it truly is that way.

You have to demonstrate that making the organization better through training and professionalism is more important than personnal gains, without question. Otherwise it will be taken as a personal conquest to gain power for your own "good ole boy network".

You will be pleasantly surprised how many officials that you belive do a bad job, are receptive to help if you approach them with a positive attitude. "Hey John, have you ever tried this mechanic" or "I see your having problems with you timing or strike zone, can I offer some help?"
Then use documented mechanics and rule knowledge to reinforce what you are saying.

Believe me, you are NOT going to do this over night. You will bcome frustrated because some existing officers will resent anything you do beause they dont ever want you to take over their domain. Its a power thing to them. By the same token they are so caught up in it they don't have enough intelligence to utilize your services, to help make theirselfs look better. At some point you just might have to weigh these factors and decide if starting another group is the best thing for you and those that now support you. Otherwise, work within and Good Luck.

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."
--Robert F. Kennedy

Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 01:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Been there, done that.

You first have to establish yourself as a person without a personal agenda. Someone who is truly interested in advancing the quality of officiating within the association. At the same time, everyone of your assignments has to be handled as professional as you can possibly make it. You can NOT be critical of even the worst of officials you work with. Be constructive and helpful at ALL times. This will gain you friends, respect and most of all support that you will need to work within the association.

Volunteer for evertything and do a top job at it. I almost guarentee you will find that the majority of the officials in your group really want to bring about change also. A lot of times, when members use the "good ole boys" statement, they really mean that they want to be catered to and don't like it if they aren't getting ALL the good games. And sometimes, it truly is that way.

You have to demonstrate that making the organization better through training and professionalism is more important than personnal gains, without question. Otherwise it will be taken as a personal conquest to gain power for your own "good ole boy network".

You will be pleasantly surprised how many officials that you belive do a bad job, are receptive to help if you approach them with a positive attitude. "Hey John, have you ever tried this mechanic" or "I see your having problems with you timing or strike zone, can I offer some help?"
Then use documented mechanics and rule knowledge to reinforce what you are saying.

Believe me, you are NOT going to do this over night. You will bcome frustrated because some existing officers will resent anything you do beause they dont ever want you to take over their domain. Its a power thing to them. By the same token they are so caught up in it they don't have enough intelligence to utilize your services, to help make theirselfs look better. At some point you just might have to weigh these factors and decide if starting another group is the best thing for you and those that now support you. Otherwise, work within and Good Luck.

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."
--Robert F. Kennedy

I've moved many times. You need to worry about yourself and your on-the-field umpiring for enough time that the old guard would be receptive to listening to ANYTHING you have to say.

Without an impressive resume (umpire school, minor league, or previous high level amateur (college) experience), this could take YEARS or maybe never happen.

I'm in my third year in a state without an association. I've done pretty well for myself, but that doesn't mean I can go around telling everyone how to umpire. I just try to worry about my own game and keep my ears open for newer guys that want to learn. Eventually, those guys will outnumber the old guard.

Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye12
Since I have begun umpiring, I have been in a very unique situation. When I started, I was attending college away from home and picked up umpiring through the certification class as I was someday hoping to become a HS baseball coach. Now that I've been involved, I don't know if I could ever "cross over the foul line" and become a coach due to the passion I have for umpiring.
Now, I am finished with school and working in a new area. The association I have joined is a small, rural, "good ol' boys" group with poor mechanics and professionalism. The association I was a member of while a college student emphasized these umpiring characteristics and took pride in the fact that it was done properly.
It is frustrating, as I'm sure many of you can relate, working with a partner who lacks these important attributes. Instead of just complaining about them, I have decided that I want to become involved and fix the problems that I see. Here is my question for you...What would be my best approach towards this task? Here are the ideas I've come up with and please share your own or give your opinions on mine.

1. Approach the local association secretary and explain to him that I would like to organize and put on a mechanics clinic this coming spring prior to the season. It will focus on mechanics (plate/base work), rules, and professionalism.

2. I will start my own umpires association. It will start out small with umpires who I know work the correct mechanics and display proper professionalism and continue to emphasize them. With time, build a reputation for the new association and then keep the high standard with new members upon which it was founded.

I definitely understand that both of these will create some conflict but I truly feel that something different needs to be done. Some people tell me...
"If it ain't broke don't fix it. The players, fans, and coaches don't know umpiring should be any different, so why change it."

What are your opinions and some advice on the best way to go about it.
I guess I'm out of step with everybody else in the Forum. You have a laudable cause, and the way to get it accomplished is not to ignore it.

There's a simple way to bring about change. Become friends with the most powerful umpire in the association. Bribe the assignor (just kidding!) to give you a game with Mr. Big. Get him talking about how he thinks the association should improve. Offer to help him bring his ideas to the fore.

One of the best ways to co-opt a Big Dog is to ask him how he does things. Take notes. Hey, he may be better than you think.

Do not sit back and do nothing. That will fester until you reach the point where you consider going back into the coach's box.

Wouldn't that be a revolting development?

[Edited by Carl Childress on Oct 11th, 2004 at 11:04 AM]
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 09:27am
Veteran College Umpire

When I came back from umpire school I was surprised that very few local "established" umpires wanted to pick my brain, but I took heart in the fact that nearly every umpire with less than 5 years of experience wouldn't let me go home after the game WITHOUT picking my brain. It really didn't take long for the "established" umpires to realize I had something they wanted (information), and I found myself being scheduled more and more with THEM. Sure enough, the old timers did work to improve themselves and the organization, and state mandated clinics have proven to them that knowledge is power - and those who are the best trained end up being the best umpires and will get the best games. Make inroads where you can. Don't force yourself on anyone - but answer the door when you hear knocking. Good luck!