The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Red face Well, aren't we full ourselves, Chad?

So you're writing a "new" rule book, huh? Don't forget to give those that you're plagiarizing from, their proper due in the credits. FED is real picky about that sort of thing.
Any schmuck can give a local league BOD, coach, or whoever, an opinion on a call or play. I guess they're glad to know that you, and only you, have the proper interpretations for their league.
HHH is correct when he states that, just because you have the time and are willing to do so, doesn't mean you are THE EXPERT in anything.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well, aren't we full ourselves, Chad?

Quote:
Originally posted by Been Dare

Any schmuck can give a local league BOD, coach, or whoever, an opinion on a call or play. I guess they're glad to know that you, and only you, have the proper interpretations for their league.
HHH is correct when he states that, just because you have the time and are willing to do so, doesn't mean you are THE EXPERT in anything.
Been Dare;

If I may indulge you for a minute and go off on a rabbit trail, here is something that I have noticed about about local leagues. (I believe that this is what you are getting at.)

Often the rules myths of the leadership get incorporated into that league's rules. If the league president says it's one plus one, then by god that is the rule for that league.
Any number of rules myths can be adopted as gospel, and if a new coach to the league protests a game, his protest will be overturned and the rule's myth upheld as the truth. The BOD follows the leader and Carl's BRD is no where to be found.

So your statement that Wobster is the expert on rules for his league, (which you may have stated in jest) has more basis in real life than one might imagine.

Peter
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:33pm

Lightbulb Was that "Treat everyone the opposite of my actions?"

PS2Man - Really Classy (That would be the proper use of an adverb)

I believe that this was your post a week ago on the Football site. Don't ask others to adhere to the Golden Rule, if you won't. I think that is called hypocrisy.

[Huh? What?
WCB,

I am completely lost by your post.

Can you please learn how to keep a post in quotes? It is not that damn difficult. It would be easier to follow and understand what you are commenting on. I only commented on mirroring an official. My comments were shorter than this current post.

It seems like you are just trying to create a situation to act like a 5 year old once again.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
This thread began with collinb saying:
Did anyone see the Cubs vs Astro's game Sunday where Cub announcer Steve Stone was explaining that the hands are part of the bat and the hitter should not get first base when hit in the hands?

Chad responded with nothing more than: well, that depends on whether the pitch was struck at or not.

He was clearly referring to the latter portion of Chad's comment ... about the batter being awarded first.

Dave --

If you're going to quote the thread, quote the entire thing.

Between the original post and wobster's reply was this, from MArio:

"Refer to page 569 of your rule book and you will see that the statment is correct!"

Wobster's post was made an hour (approx.) after Mario's post. It's not unreasonable to think that wobster's reply was to Mario, and not to the original poster.

Quote:
To interpret Chad's response as meaning, "The hands are part of the bat if the pitch was struck at" is simply a ludicruous conclusion to reach unless you're predisposed, by bias, to believe that's what he meant.

Except that many people think that the statement above ("hands are part of the bat...") *is* true. It takes no bias about Wobster to think that he might think the same thing.

Bob:

Add to that the title of the thread: Hands part of the bat.

It was quite natural to read Wobster's post as addressing that portion of the first post.

It seems to me that no one has acted out of a bias or any preconceived notion here.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Care to elaborate, Chad?

Quote:
Originally posted by wobster
Quote:

You still didn't expound on the level of ball you've called in those 8 years?
Do we need more than one guess? I think not.....
1 year machine pitch
7 years LL majors. the last two I have also been doing traveling league, driving as far as 50 miles to do tournaments, as well a little babe ruth this year.

As far as rules knowledge, I am writing the league a new rule book, with mostly FED rules. You suppose they would let just any schmuck who didn't know the rules do that? I routinely get asked proper rulings that other umpires may have missed. These questions come directly from our best coaches and the other members of the BOD.

I also attended one of Carl's clinics in July.

[Edited by wobster on Aug 31st, 2004 at 11:53 AM]
Okay, so you're a beginner. Nothing wrong with that.

A couple of questions:

Why on earth would a machine pitch game need an umpire?

Doesn't "travel league" usually refer to the teams traveling, not the umpire?

Do you mean that you are writing a complete rule book for an independent league? What are they using now?

What's a Carl's Clinic? Anything like Evans's Florida Classic or Gerry Davis's camps or Little League's WR Umpire School? Who are the instructors?

I believe I read an earlier post by you that said you hadn't done high school baseball. Ddon't you think it may be a bit soon to write a new rule book using FED rules before you've called a high school game?

Hopefully you don't see this as being too critical. I just think it is apparent you have a lot to experience yet before you boast of your resume.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

What if the batter has the bat between his legs and gets hit? Could the coach claim his penis was part of the bat?
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
Re: Re: Re: Care to elaborate, Chad?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrUmpire
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by wobster
[B]
Quote:

You still didn't expound on the level of ball you've called in those 8 years?
Do we need more than one guess? I think not.....
1 year machine pitch
7 years LL majors. the last two I have also been doing traveling league, driving as far as 50 miles to do tournaments, as well a little babe ruth this year.

As far as rules knowledge, I am writing the league a new rule book, with mostly FED rules. You suppose they would let just any schmuck who didn't know the rules do that? I routinely get asked proper rulings that other umpires may have missed. These questions come directly from our best coaches and the other members of the BOD.

I also attended one of Carl's clinics in July.

[Edited by wobster on Aug 31st, 2004 at 03:58 PM]
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well, aren't we full ourselves, Chad?

Quote:

So you're writing a "new" rule book, huh? Don't forget to give those that you're plagiarizing from, their proper due in the credits. FED is real picky about that sort of thing.
The first line in my rules sheet is "This league uses NFHS rules."

I did not profess to be an expert. I was countering your claim that I should not be posting here because I am not as experienced as you and others.

Though I have not called high school yet, I regularly study my rule books, the BRD, and my clinic manuals.

Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Care to elaborate, Chad?

Quote:
1 year machine pitch
Only a couple of months ago you posted here in a thread about ejecting a batter:

"myself, I would have dumped her, but I haven't had to eject a single person in 4 years of plate and 2 years of pitching machine."

Are you using dog years in your calculations?
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I don't remember that one. I have been umpiring since I was 14, I am 22. the 2+4 doesn't work. Not sure what I was thinking, if in fact I posted that. I still work some machine, since I am on the board, if I can't find umpires. Not sure what the hell I was thinking. I have been doing plate since I was 15, I even did a few scrimmage games when I was 14.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

WHAT?

"Not sure what the hell I was thinking. I have been doing plate since I was 15, I even did a few scrimmage games when I was 14."

Finally the truth has been set FREE!

You are actually counting those years in your resume.

Now that is FUNNY?

I am now re-writing my resume to include the games I worked when I was 9. But that will destroy my statement that I have never worked a Little League GAME!

Drats!

Chad, you have been exposed.

Lah Me!

Tee
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:16am
In Memoriam

Re: WHAT?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"Not sure what the hell I was thinking. I have been doing plate since I was 15, I even did a few scrimmage games when I was 14."

Finally the truth has been set FREE!

You are actually counting those years in your resume.

Now that is FUNNY?

I am now re-writing my resume to include the games I worked when I was 9. But that will destroy my statement that I have never worked a Little League GAME!

Drats!

Chad, you have been exposed.

Lah Me!

Tee
Interesting.
I managed my first game at 13.
I managed my last game at 45.
That's 32 years.
But I only did that for 3 years and about 16 games.
mick

Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't remember that one. I have been umpiring since I was 14, I am 22. the 2+4 doesn't work. Not sure what I was thinking, if in fact I posted that. I still work some machine, since I am on the board, if I can't find umpires. Not sure what the hell I was thinking. I have been doing plate since I was 15, I even did a few scrimmage games when I was 14.
No offense Wobster,
But, this is begining to read like a Presidential Campaign I have seen somewhere else.
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb To Wobster

Wobster;

You may not understand why you have become the lightning rod for so much negativity recently. I will attempt to shed some light on it.

For five years or so, Carl has been in a major flame war with literally dozens of posters. Most of it has to do with his abrasive personality but some are envious of his exalted position as an insider in the arcane world of rules interpretation.

True big dogs recognize that rules interpretations are not where top umpires make their living. Rules minutia is the activity of nerds, little dogs, and wannabe big dogs. Carl is the supreme recognized nerd of rules. All others are usurpers. With is 20 years or so of recognized supremacy, no one is likely to topple Carl until he decides to retire, gets hit by a truck, or Alzheimers sets in. A few posters have implied that Alzheimers may have crept into his brain, but I see little evidence of that.

For a couple of years, I was the chief antagonist of Carl, although unlike most of his detractors, I never engaged in a rules discussion with him. I went after his personality and his out of date ideas with regards to game control, while at the same time giving him credit for being the supreme authority on rules issues.

For the most part, Carl and I leave each other alone now. However, there are many of of his enemies that cannot drop their weapons and make peace. (For the record, I like the current state of affairs. It provides great entertainment.) Anyway, you Wobster, have become the proxy for their war with Carl. By attacking you, they can get to Carl. Carl is the one that you work for and he is the target of their attacks. You are just the one in the crossfire.

Bottom line, the attacks against you are not personal and are not really directed at you. They are directed at Carl. Take my initial advice of a week or so ago. Keep writing and laugh all the way to the bank.

Peter
Old Wed Sep 01, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

What's that smell?

Peter is stirring the s*** again.

It's not even Friday -- you must be taking a long weekend, Peter.

Closed Thread