The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2022, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

NCAA dead ball base running

Jomboy had a breakdown of this a couple days ago if you want to watch it on Youtube and don't mind advertisements for ED pills and other non-officiating commentary.

Texas Tech is beating Kansas 19-1 in top of 7th. No runners. Batter hits a ball to straightaway center. F8 makes a jump at the wall, but misses the catch as it clears the fence.

U2 hustles to get a good angle, and quickly signals home run. BR, however, believes the catch has been made and cuts off his run before reaching 2B, and starts to head for the third base dugout, running along the grass edge inside the base path. In the angles that I saw, U1 and U3 both point at BR as he reaches about halfway between 2B and 3B, and U3 calls the runner out as he turns around to go back and touch 2B.

That's all I could see from the video I saw. Unclear if defense made any kind of "dead ball appeal" (I don't even know if there is such a thing in NCAA). Seems odd that BR isn't given a reasonable opportunity to correct a base running mistake during a dead ball. Certainly he wasn't called out for abandonment?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2022, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Certainly he wasn't called out for abandonment?
Why are you so certain of this? Abandonment is exactly how it reads to me.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2022, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Ok then. Thanks bob.