The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

In Little League (12 year olds), we have a disagreement how the following situation should be ruled: With a runner on third, a batter is walked. The batter proceeds to run to first and then continue on to second, with the intention of drawing a throw to allow the runner from third the opportunity to score. Currently, to stop this, the defense is throwing down to the first baseman who watches the runner from third and holds the ball until the runner on first gets there. Some other coaches contest that if the catcher throws it back to the pitcher, and the pitcher gets on the rubber, that the batter who walked cannot advance beyond first. Would the catcher/pitcher/coach have to ask for "time"? Would the PU grant time? Does it depend on where the runner on third is at that instance? Is this strictly a judgement call? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
The way we do it, is if the pitcher is on the rubber with the ball, the kid has to make a choice, go or not. THerefore, if he does not stop, he can still go.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Talking This is baseball, folks!

When continuous play is still going on, you can't just stop it by calling time. Nor does it stop just because the pitcher has the ball on the pitcher's plate. The batter/runner may run to his heart's content until he decides to stop or is put out. If the pitcher and catcher become set, you may have a leaving early violation if he doesn't get back on the bag and stay there. We all know the only penalty for that in LL baseball is the runner is sent back, or, if the ball is hit into play, anything other than the bases EARNED by the batter are taken away.

Design a play to protect against the Batter-runner advancing, or just ignore him to prevent the run. He can only go to second unless the runner on third scores. And, you still have an open base to work with.

Umpires are not going to assist the defense by calling time to prevent runners from advancing, either in this situation or in situations where the ball is being thrown back to the pitcher.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

That is what I expected, so I guess they'll just continue using the "throw down to first method". Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Talking Just for fun...

Since you brought it up...

Here is a play that usually works once...then they either stop advancing or prepare another way to do it.

On a walk, have the shortstop come in about 1/3 the way from his normal position to the mound. Then, when the Batter/runner starts toward 2nd, have your catcher throw the ball to the SS as if he were making the play to 2nd. Most likely, the runner from 3rd will be well off the base and is now caught off-guard. Your shortstop then makes the throw to whichever base he is heading to (either back to 3rd or home). You'll either get him or get him in a run-down (which your team has practiced to perfection, right?).

Good luck, but most of all, just have fun!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Good idea! That's one of the 3 variations we like to try when we have runners on 1st and 3rd. Usually after the 1st pitch to the next batter and less than 2 outs, the runner on 1st will steal. Depending on the situation, we'll either throw through to 2nd to get the runner, throw to a cutting short stop, or throw hard and high to the pitcher, but I like that idea of doing it during the walk, because it eliminates the fact that the catcher needs to receive a pitch from the pitcher! I'll mention this to the coach! Thanks!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious...

How many times have your catchers thrown the ball away throwing to first?

Also on a throw to first I would probably send my runner from third anyway. It's only 60 feet, a lot can happen.

Just let the runner go is what I have always taught. Most of the time with these trick plays, the ball ends up getting thrown around and more damage is done then if the runner just went to second.

Just my $.02
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Funny, I'm the opposite. At most levels, if I have a catcher that can throw, I throw down to 2nd. Trade that near-run at 3rd base in and let them score, but gain an out and erase a baserunner. We have an 11-12 catcher that probably throws out 80% of the runners that go (especially since most are not expecting a throw at all), and some on passed balls even. You'd be amazed how many coaches stop taking that free base after we've thrown 1 or 2 out at 2nd.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Just throw the ball back to the pitcher. If the runner rounds 1B too far the pitcher can throw over to 1B if need be, or he can turn and throw to the 2B man who has moved toward 1B. If you can't stop a runner from rounding 1B and going for 2B on a walk the team is defenseless.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Just curious...

Also on a throw to first I would probably send my runner from third anyway. It's only 60 feet, a lot can happen.

Just let the runner go is what I have always taught. Most of the time with these trick plays, the ball ends up getting thrown around and more damage is done then if the runner just went to second.

Just my $.02
So just let the offense get another runner in scoring position, good strategy....
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
I had a catcher try to pick the runner off of first on ball four to the batter late in a game...threw it into the corner (90' diamond)...tying run scored from 1st, winning run on third with the walk and 2b error...oops
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Just curious...

Just my $.02
So just let the offense get another runner in scoring position, good strategy....
You've obviously never seen my catcher throw. If he throws it's almost a guarenteed 2 runs.

Not every team has mad talent like yours appearently does and you have to do what you need to to prevent unearned runs. I have just seen that trying the trick plays and throws down to first etc. backfire more than they succeed
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Funny, I'm the opposite. At most levels, if I have a catcher that can throw, I throw down to 2nd. Trade that near-run at 3rd base in and let them score, but gain an out and erase a baserunner. We have an 11-12 catcher that probably throws out 80% of the runners that go (especially since most are not expecting a throw at all), and some on passed balls even. You'd be amazed how many coaches stop taking that free base after we've thrown 1 or 2 out at 2nd.
As an offensive coach I would trade an out for a run all day. As a defensive coach I would not, unless I have a big lead late in the game.