The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

In a response to the thread entitled "Problems at the plate Conference" Peter responded as follows:

" The umpire blew a rule. Blowing rules end umpire careers. Recently, I told of how an umpire called a dead ball balk in a tournament game and two umpires on the crew had their careers sidelined. Yet, stupid posters here (probably LL) continued to insist that one could have a balk on a dead ball. In our situation, we have an umpire who has blown a rule. The absolute last thing in the world that he should do is call unwanted attention to his mistake. Tossing the coach at the plate conference will certainly call the attention of his assignor to his mistake. Very STUPID move. It is simply irrelevant that the ejection is justified. If you want to be right and derail your career, go ahead. I'd rather be wrong and get promoted.

The reason I use the aforementioned quote is the theme for my thread. Not Every Umpire wants the BIG game or cares about being promoted. Generally speaking there is a lack of Officials so even the Ole Smitty's of the world will get plenty of assignments.

Also, I find it kind of ironic when using the term "Kiddy Ball" because some "Kiddy Ball" depending upon where you live pays more than the so called BIG Games.

I'll give you an example; I worked in Westchester County NY and a colleague of mine asked me if wanted to do some LL Major Games for him. The LL Organization was in a "rich" part of Westchester County where the officers had plenty of money and didn't want to be bothered scheduling umpires. The FEE was $60.00 for one umpire behind the plate.

Now you can talk all about the BIG Games, but from my experience (other than dealing with the Parents), the so called Kiddy Ball is the best around meaning the game(s)are 6 innings long and last on avg. approx 1hr and 20 minutes to 1hr and a half, meaning you can do 3 games on a Saturday (or more if you wish) and walk away with $180.00 before the real heat arrives. In other words the games start at 9 AM and by 12:30 you are on your way home.

You can than go to the parks where the so called "BIG Games" are at and see everyone sweating and they don't make as much as you do.

What all this means is that you need to DEFINE your umpiring goals. Most of us have a regular Job that pays the mortgage, etc. meaning we use umpiring money for vacations, taking the wife/significant other out to dinner etc. therefore, I do not think amateur umpires should take the abuse that Major League umpires take even if we do blow a call.

I'd rather be promoted in MY REAL job than umpiring. There is plenty of work around, so why kiss you know what and get ajeda over it.

Also, again depending upon where you live if you want to aspire to the collegiate level, means a great deal of travel. A colleague of mine recently joined the Collegiate ranks and all he does is travel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying as an amateur umpire we shouldn't try and be the best we can be by attending clinics,etc. but it also is not a "life" or "death" situation either if you don't get the big game or promoted.

In Summary before starting on your umpiring career, define the goals you want to achieve.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 09:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Great Point Pete.

I have learned in all my sports, everyone is not interested in achieving the same things I might be. Some want to be in the NFL. Some guys are happy working in the Park District. Who am I to define for others what works for them?

Peace
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Well, I want to be the best High School baseball umpire and volleyball official I can be, at the state and national level. I wouldn't mind - in my later years - being a district director or a camp instructor.

I've always wanted to at least try college ball, but with my family as young as it is, that'll have to wait. But for me, the HS game is where it's at. All the summer stuff - Legion, AAU, MSBL, LL, GNABA, etc. - is just a bonus. I worked almost every day from May 20 to July 10 and earned enough for a weeks vacation to Orlando, without putting a dime on a credit card. So, I guess in the summer, the money is a little more important. But in the HS season (late Feb to early May around here), money is really a non-issue. I really just enjoy the high school game.

Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
My goal is to be regarded as a very good high school umpire, and do even some college ball down the road. I have been doing kiddy ball up to this point, but I want to move up. I just went to Carl Childress's clinic down in texas, and learned a great deal.

I have only been AABC certified and known around the leagues by the officials for about 3 months, and I have already been getting calls to work games in other "known" umpires' backyards. I hope that is a good sign, and not just the fact I am available. I got a call to work 6 games this weekend, at $35.00 a game. The coach told me he heard about me from a tournament I worked a few weeks ago. Not too bad for not being high school certified yet.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Each umpire should at least have a purpose for umpiring.

It is not my position to tell anyone why they should umpire.

I just hope as a trainer and teacher that I can find the correct button to push for each student.

Your post dwells on the dollars and cents aspect of defining a "Big Game."

That is hardly how I define "Big Games" at all . . .

As I have noted several times I umpire for two reasons: power and money. BUT, the money part is just score keeping. I make plenty enough money as my chosen profession that the money made umpiring is basically to replace old gear (or try out new technology) used umpiring.

"Big Game" umpires are a cut above the regular umpire and not in the same universe as "Smitty" . . .

A "Big Game" can change by definiton each day . . .

The game could be between two average teams that had a big confrontation the last time they played. Your assignor could be sending you there because you are an "elephant hunter": he could be sending you because the game is between two teams fighting for the championship (or last playoff spot), or (more alturistically) he may be sending you to a game that maybe in the press where he cannot afford (for his personal well being)a screw up.

"Big Games" to some are normal games to others.

Pete, I set goals each year.

After 35 years and THOUSANDS of games it is still easy to set "performance" goals. I have found that if I set goals for HOW I umpire (and attain them) I will get more than my share of "Big Games."

I want the "Big Game", I want to be in the "Big Inning" and I want the last "Big Call" to come my way . . . I want the 3-2 pitch, with the bases full, in the bottom of the last inning with the score tied. (i.e. I had F6 ask me once what I was saying during a pitch, I told him 'I said, hit it to me, hit it to me.')

I don't want the "big call" to prove I have a big sack, I want the "big call' because that is what I have trained for all my life.

And the reason I get "Big Games" is best defined by my assignor when he said, "Tee, I have NEVER had a call after a game you worked that was anything but positive." That is OK, but it is better when the losing coach calls.

Perfomance goals should be established even by "Smitty" -- but it is not my place to evaluate any umpire for how far (i.e. how big of games he wants) or how low an umpire wants to work.

That comes from inside people and is defined by what THEY want not someone else.

Sorry about the length,

Tee
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
good points

good points and critical to determining the future. In football, I am the crew chief of a crew that only works the "little" games - Jr High AAA or below on Thursday nights. I could care less if I ever work a HS playoff game, or a AAAAA conference game on Friday night, much less NCAA or NFL. In baseball, different story. I will be satisfied when I am on D1 staff. Of course, by then I may be eye-balling a CWS.

Either way, we, as officials, must define our goals and position ourselves to accomplish that goal.

I am in the process of defining and developing an evaluation process in our umpires assocation to position umpires to maximize their potential be it at 8 year old kiddie league or NCAA D1. The delta in this what does the offical want?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Goals are meaningless.

I have friends from high school whose goals 30 years ago were to be rich and famous and who are now and always have been unrecognized lower level whatevers: civil servants, grocery clerks, hotel desk clerks. Not that there is anything wrong with ANY honest job, but none of them have come close to a "goal".

Instead of deciding a goal, or something you want, decide on what how much work, study and effort you are willing to dedicate to something. The fields are cluttered with Smittys who had the Goal of being a D-1 conference umpire or MLB umpire; while the D-1 ranks and the pro ranks, right down to short season A leagues, are filled with those who decided instead to see how far their sweat woudl take them.

How much time are you willing to dedicate to umpiring? how much money are you willing to spend on clinics, camps or even pro-school? How many games are you willing and able to work? How much effort will you dedicate to learning from those above you instead of arguing about how you "want" to do things?

Instead of setting a goal to become something, find out what it took for others to get there and then see if you are willing to match that.

Effort and results will beat goal setting any day.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 01:40pm

Lightbulb Another perspective

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

What all this means is that you need to DEFINE your umpiring goals. Most of us have a regular Job that pays the mortgage, etc. meaning we use umpiring money for vacations, taking the wife/significant other out to dinner etc. therefore, I do not think amateur umpires should take the abuse that Major League umpires take even if we do blow a call.

I'd rather be promoted in MY REAL job than umpiring. There is plenty of work around, so why kiss you know what and get ajeda over it.

Also, again depending upon where you live if you want to aspire to the collegiate level, means a great deal of travel. A colleague of mine recently joined the Collegiate ranks and all he does is travel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying as an amateur umpire we shouldn't try and be the best we can be by attending clinics,etc. but it also is not a "life" or "death" situation either if you don't get the big game or promoted.

In Summary before starting on your umpiring career, define the goals you want to achieve.

Pete Booth
Pete,
I like much of what you wrote, but a heartily disagree with your final statement. Most rookies don't have a realistic expectation of this endeavor. Some are washed up jocks, some retirees, while others may just looking for an outlet from the wife and kids. Unless you are unemployed, MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE THE REASON YOU OFFICIATE. Some guys will work lesser ball for more money because they don't care about the quality - they want the paycheck. Others will only work the best ball available, meaning travelling all over, for a modest paycheck. Their reward is to see the next Barry Bonds or Joe Torre.

Many new officials have a friend or relative recruit them into the ranks. They may have dreams about working the Conference Championship at their alma mater, but spend the next twenty years loving Freshman "B" baseball.

One of my College crew mates was a fantastic football official that started doing baseball as something to keep him on his toes during the offseason. He was born to umpire and quickly flew up the ranks. This season, he was the one I flew to see work a Super-Regional. He never dreamed he would be doing baseball at this level.

I teach at many clinics and see guys who are coerced into umpiring (Mom said it was either this or McDonald's) or figure that it is going to be a way to wield the sword of authority. It always amazes me when one of those feet draggers turns out to be unbelieveable.

Setting your goals as a rookie official is about as easy as asking a freshman in college to declare his major. Some are capable and many are clueless. Rather than setting your goals, I think that new officials would be better served to set priorities. Money? Time away? Exercise? Comraderie? The opportunity to becme the best? These are all valid ideals, but like Darwin said, adapt, evolve or die.

[Edited by WindyCityBlue on Aug 5th, 2004 at 02:42 PM]
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

As for "goals"; I want to umpire in the worst way!

Many have said I've succeeded.

Jerry
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Goals are the foundation.

I totally disagree that goals are meaningless. They mean a lot. I think that is the foundation of the work you have to do. Of course you cannot say, “I want to be in the Majors" without knowledge of what that takes. Getting to that level does not just happen, you have to take the right routes to that destination. How hard you work is not going to get you there if you are not doing the correct things. I know in my area you are not going to just work college ball just because you work hard. Many times you have to show interest, they usually do not just come around calling. When I say show interest, you might have to talk to assignors or college umpires to consider you. Then when you show the interest, most will tell you what it takes. Many times college games are in the middle of the afternoon, most people are not available for those games. At least those umpires that have jobs and responsibilities outside of umpiring.

Information is the key. I have had conversations with NFL Officials, D1 and Pro level officials in basketball and a few Minor League umpires. I also have done a lot of reading on experiences of others that I never met. I learned what it took to make it to those levels in all my sports. Just in that fact finding, I realized that some opportunities were not for me. Or I realized that I had to attend certain camps or join certain groups to make any advancement a possible reality. But just working hard does not gut it. Sometimes it is just luck that the right person sees you. Jerry Markbriet(sp?) got his Big Ten Opportunity by working a D3 College game in the pouring rain on a sloppy field. An evaluator happens to be there and the next year I believe he was in the Big Ten. He was lucky and he will tell you that himself.

Goals are the foundation of the work you put in. Of course you cannot just set a goal and all of a sudden you will achieve them. But I bet those friends of yours that wanted to be rich and famous probably did not do a lot of things to make that happen. And if some of them worked hard, they might not have received the right break or were not in the right place at the same time.

Blessings and hard work have to go hand and hand in my opinion. #1 Trophy

Peace
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I think Garth, Windy and I are all saying just about the same thing:

If you set goals make them learning and perfomance goals NOT level of game goals.

While Windy feels that money shold never be the reason you officiate that is fine, that is his opinion.

I think pay is AN important function and movitation for some.

Garth thinks that the goals should be defined more along what kind of commitment are you will to give . . . I also buy that.

My goal stting is simple each season:

I pick three things that I felt needed work at the end of the last season and set up goals around those performance issues.

Tee
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Serious question.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue

Unless you are unemployed, MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE THE REASON YOU OFFICIATE.
Why not? It cost money to travel to a game? The equipment cost money. You accept the money they give you right? I know I accept the money.

If anyone that knows me realizes that I might go further than most in my sports when I officiate. And in the long run I might actually lose money based on what they are paying me for the game, but I would not be honest with myself if I said I did not do it for the money at all. Of course it is not the only reason, but it is a reason. I know if I was not getting paid, it would be really hard to go to many games if I was never compensated.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 04:07pm

Exclamation What was the question?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Unless you are unemployed, MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE THE REASON YOU OFFICIATE.
Why not? It cost money to travel to a game? The equipment cost money. You accept the money they give you right? I know I accept the money.

If anyone that knows me realizes that I might go further than most in my sports when I officiate. And in the long run I might actually lose money based on what they are paying me for the game, but I would not be honest with myself if I said I did not do it for the money at all. Of course it is not the only reason, but it is a reason. I know if I was not getting paid, it would be really hard to go to many games if I was never compensated.

Peace
Reading 101 - MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE...THE...REASON YOU OFFICIATE.

If you are umpiring/refereeing/officiating solely for the money, then you made a serious career error.

At the beginning - remember, this post was targeted at new officials setting their goals - the money sucks and the aggravation immense.

READING 102 - GOALS ARE NOT PRIORITIES

Most new officials don't enter this trade with dollar signs in their eyes. Most of the guys I work with don't walk off the field saying "I earned my money today." We walk off and talk about the game. That is why I enterred the profession.

READING 103 - I HAVE WORKED MANY TIMES FOR FREE, USUALLY TEACHING CLINICS

I will gladly accept remuneration for my efforts. It is not the reason I accepted the game, bought gear and travelled. Like I said, unless you have to accept the game in order to eat, most of us have a choice in working the game. If you are soley officiating because of the money, you are either a professional (making huge bucks) or need to reevaluate your priorities. The game deserves better.
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 06:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: What was the question?

Quote:
Reading 101 - MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE...THE...REASON YOU OFFICIATE.

If you are umpiring/refereeing/officiating solely for the money, then you made a serious career error.

At the beginning - remember, this post was targeted at new officials setting their goals - the money sucks and the aggravation immense.
It might be the reason, but not the ONLY reason. But that is why I asked the question, so you could clarify.

Quote:
READING 102 - GOALS ARE NOT PRIORITIES

Most new officials don't enter this trade with dollar signs in their eyes. Most of the guys I work with don't walk off the field saying "I earned my money today." We walk off and talk about the game. That is why I enterred the profession.
I did not ask you about this point of view. Not sure what part of this you read?

Quote:
READING 103 - I HAVE WORKED MANY TIMES FOR FREE, USUALLY TEACHING CLINICS

I will gladly accept remuneration for my efforts. It is not the reason I accepted the game, bought gear and travelled. Like I said, unless you have to accept the game in order to eat, most of us have a choice in working the game. If you are soley officiating because of the money, you are either a professional (making huge bucks) or need to reevaluate your priorities. The game deserves better.
I know many officials that work games to put their children thru schools or to pay for an extra bill. It might not be the only reason they do it, but it is a reason. Maybe many could afford bills without the officiating money, but I know many that do it because they have responsibilities as their life has changed. Maybe it is not the sole reason, but it is a big reason. Basically this is a debate of semantics and is based on your own personal feelings. I cannot tell someone how to spend their time or what is good for them. Again, why I asked the question in the first place.

Peace