The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Gentlemen, there have been a lot of good things said here;

1) Concerning goals: When I started umpiring was when I had had enough of coaching. That was about 4 years ago, a friend at our local LL,( yes Tee, I know, ugh!!) call me and asked if I would be the FU for a 13-14 YO game. I have never looked back. Where else can you still do something good to contribute to our kids, earn no money or respect, get a couple of hours out in the sun & fresh air and go home feeling good about it. At that time I had no goals.

That has all changed, in that short time I have been able to do a boat load of LL games including district, sectional and state all-star games, a bunch of older AAU and some summer Legion games. I want to progress up the ladder because like most of you I'm tried of getting beat up behind the plate (ie. "Kidde Ball"). Goals are important! I have mine (short term is to get HS cert, after my boys grad or quit playing HS), and my long term goal/dream is to one day do JUCO or NCAA. I don't know if I will make it, hell I turned 40 this year.
But like many of you said, they are important, they just need to be tempered in some reality.

2) Money: The money issue for most people I know and work with is a secondary issue or benefit. All of my LL is volunteer, sometimes I can get a shirt or pants out of them, but I do them for the love of the game. The paid games are good, they have allowed me to upgrade my equipment, do some things I might have not done otherwise, but it is not the sole reason I do it.

It is really funny to see the reasons why I decided to start this journey being listed from so many other people, but all of you are right, goals are important. But they need to be realistic, and you need to know what it will take to achieve them, or you will become discouraged and find something else to do.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

One goal is to stay in the game. I love this game. Played it, coached it, organized it, and called it.
Each aspect has it's own rewards.

Another goal, that I have always strive to maintain, is that the kids come first. I could care less about any coach, fan or administrator's feelings over a call.
I want to get the call right. Because these kids only come this way once. And I have my personal pride to do my best.

Maybe I put too much pressure upon myself. When I complete a game I will go over calls and non calls. It's good for me to review each game with another ump. Of course there are some that could care less about reviewing.

I came here to read about situations that occur to other umps and to learn. I have learned a few things and plan on applying that knowledge when the situation calls for it.

I too have a secondary goal of financial. It is pretty good money and I have taken vacations the past two years to Wyoming for Antelope hunting and to The Carolinas for golfing. My umpiring provide me the extra funds for those wonderful trips.

Not everyone is cut out for umpiring. As I'm sure most here know that. To be able to stand and not flinch behind that plate while a 80 to 90 mile an hour fast ball hits short.
Or take one straight from the bat to the face, arms and shoulders. And then to continue on as nothing had happened, takes a special person.
I haven't taken one to the couch yet!

Truly I enjoy the game.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teacherspit

Truly I enjoy the game.

Shouldn't hurt much. Most couches are pretty well padded. Some are even overstuffed.

Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by teacherspit

Truly I enjoy the game.

Shouldn't hurt much. Most couches are pretty well padded. Some are even overstuffed.

Crotch! LOL

I bet if I did get hit in the crotch on a couch it would hurt more for the fact that on the couch I wouldn't have a cup on.

The last game I called I got hit in the right ear. The ball went from the bat to the glove to my shoulder pad to the ear. It happened so fast that no one really saw it. I didn't flinch. Called foul and tossed another ball to the pitcher.
I thougth that my ear was ripped open because I felt something wet running down the side of my head. It was sweat.
After the half inning, I asked the FU if he could see any blood or cut on my ear. He said "NO, I thought you got hit, but I wasn't for sure".
Man has got to be tough for this game.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:34am

Lightbulb Priorities vs. goals

Was anyone else unclear about the words..."MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE...THE...REASON YOU OFFICIATE."

Yes, getting paid is wonderful. The exercise, comraderie, sense of giving back, are also imporatant factors of getting into this field. None should ever be the ONLY focus of why you officiate. The original post asked guys to set their goals and I suggested priorities might be better thought, since most rookies don't have a clue what this job takes.

If your priority is to make money for your college fund, that's terrific, but won't keep you coming back when the weather and season turn to crap. You can only deal with so many a-hole coaches, players and fans before you say, "Maybe I should get a part-time gig at Home Depot, instead."

Setting goald will make you better or appreciate what you've got. Setting priorities can help you achieve your goals.

Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 02:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Priorities vs. goals

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Was anyone else unclear about the words..."MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE...THE...REASON YOU OFFICIATE."
And that is your opinion. Happy to know you have one.

Quote:
If your priority is to make money for your college fund, that's terrific, but won't keep you coming back when the weather and season turn to crap. You can only deal with so many a-hole coaches, players and fans before you say, "Maybe I should get a part-time gig at Home Depot, instead."
I have never worked at Office Depot before. I am not sure what they make. But I do not know many people that work at jobs like that and can make 200+ over a weekend and not be away from the house 9 or 10 hours after taxes. I know if I wanted to, I could make about $1000 a week if I took enough games. It might be hard, but it has been done. I know many successful people that officiate games they might never work, to help fun their children to some very good and expensive schools. I am not suggesting that all the money earned can fun the entire college bill, but it might fun extra things they want to do for their children and might pay expenses so they can come home more or go see them more often as well. I know many officials that claim the money they make officiating put their kids thru school.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 08:50pm

Re: Re: Priorities vs. goals

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
And that is your opinion. Happy to know you have one.

Quote:
I have never worked at Office Depot before. I am not sure what they make. But I do not know many people that work at jobs like that and can make 200+ over a weekend and not be away from the house 9 or 10 hours after taxes. I know if I wanted to, I could make about $1000 a week if I took enough games. It might be hard, but it has been done. I know many successful people that officiate games they might never work, to help fun their children to some very good and expensive schools. I am not suggesting that all the money earned can fun the entire college bill, but it might fun extra things they want to do for their children and might pay expenses so they can come home more or go see them more often as well. I know many officials that claim the money they make officiating put their kids thru school.

Peace
Argggh...I couldn't make this up! Do you know how to read?
Home Depot...Office Depot??? Or is it that you can't stand seeing my name and need to show everyone that you've got an axe to grind.

Does "fun" mean the same thing as "fund"? You did it twice, by the way, so don't try to say it was a typo.

What exactly is the point of this mess? I have simply said that money should not be ...THE... reason for officiating. If you are only in it for the money, you will burn out very fast. You have to love this job to put up with the grind it puts us through (spelled correctly, by the way).

I know hundreds of guys that officiate. One of them works over 50 Spring H.S. baseball games and doesn't cash the check. In fact, the Board has had to beg him in the past so that they can audit the books. He gets satisfaction from being one of the boys. I know others that were told to get some exercise after they retired. The pocket change is a bonus, but they are out there to keep alive. I know still others that volunteer for their local LL and never take a cent. Every one of these guys is good for their level. Not one is in it for the money. What does it matter? Just that like I said, there are many reasons to join our ranks. Don't do it for solely for the money, you won't last or enjoy it.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 09:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face You cannot disagree without insults I see.

Quote:
Argggh...I couldn't make this up! Do you know how to read?
Home Depot...Office Depot??? Or is it that you can't stand seeing my name and need to show everyone that you've got an axe to grind.

Does "fun" mean the same thing as "fund"? You did it twice, by the way, so don't try to say it was a typo.
If you consider yourself an educated person, you should be able to figure it out. I know when I read the newspaper and you see a misspelling of a word, I do not have a problem understanding the word that was suppose to be typed. I guess you have a problem with analytical thinking.

Quote:
What exactly is the point of this mess? I have simply said that money should not be ...THE... reason for officiating. If you are only in it for the money, you will burn out very fast. You have to love this job to put up with the grind it puts us through (spelled correctly, by the way).
I think you have another analytical problem. I officiate because I enjoy it, but that is not THE ONLY reason I officiate. I have other reasons and I am sure many here do as well. And you might love it because of the money. It is possible that people do not see things you way.

Quote:
I know hundreds of guys that officiate. One of them works over 50 Spring H.S. baseball games and doesn't cash the check. In fact, the Board has had to beg him in the past so that they can audit the books. He gets satisfaction from being one of the boys.
Then why does he just not accept the money or donate the money to the school or entity that gave him the money? I have done that and know others that have. But that is by far the minority in that issue.

Quote:
I know others that were told to get some exercise after they retired. The pocket change is a bonus, but they are out there to keep alive. I know still others that volunteer for their local LL and never take a cent. Every one of these guys is good for their level. Not one is in it for the money. What does it matter? Just that like I said, there are many reasons to join our ranks. Don't do it for solely for the money, you won't last or enjoy it.
Again, if you do not understand the point, it is clear that you are not a very deep thinker. Because all those situations you just talked about are in the minority. Most people I know not only accept the money, but complain if they are not paid in a timely manner. As a matter of fact, it seems to be a major issue with assignors in several sports in this area as to how the officials are paid or the money. I can tell you in football that one of the biggest complaints is when we do double headers, we do not get the similar amount of money that we would get if we did just one game. I know I can get $55 for one Varsity football game, and then only get $10 more for the sophomore game. I know officials that will not work conferences because of what they are paid. It is a constant issue. I know assignors that have complained about the vouchers or the paperwork all the time. So it matters to someone. I know money does not grow on trees and neither does the gas or the time most have to take off from their families and work. Baseball is the most expensive sport to officiate for basic equipment. I know I would like to at the very least break even when I buy new equipment. I know others that would like to do the same.

It might not be THE reason that umpires and officials start, but it might be the reason they do not continue or why they do not get started. You claimed your issue was about rookies, but I know an umpire starting out has to pay about $400 to get started. That is if they want to have equipment that lasts or is worth maintaining.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Aug 8th, 2004 at 08:07 PM]
Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
I work baseball because I enjoy it. I enjoy being part of the game, even though I don't play anymore.

As far as money, that is definitely a bonus, but it does not enter into my mind as a reason to accept an assignment or not. Our leagues around here, at least during kiddy ball, pay anywhere from $20 per game to $40. I do not turn down the money or donate it to a school, but I do not think of the money factor hardly at all. I made $180 this weekend, umpiring 6 kiddy ball games. I am going to use that money to buy better equipment.

What I am getting at is that there are many reasons to officiate, and you should not bash someone for THEIR reason. I know plenty of umpires who did not want to umpire when they started, but they were good at it and liked the money. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with someone telling me why I can or cannot umpire because of the reasons I choose.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Jim,

I think you summerized the issue perfectly. When we set goals, we might change the game in the middle based on some other factors in life.

Great post.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Yep,

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tim C [/i
Each umpire should at least have a purpose for umpiring.

It is not my position to tell anyone why they should umpire.

I just hope as a trainer and teacher that I can find the correct button to push for each student.

Your post dwells on the dollars and cents aspect of defining a "Big Game."

That is hardly how I define "Big Games" at all . . .

As I have noted several times I umpire for two reasons: power and money. BUT, the money part is just score keeping. I make plenty enough money as my chosen profession that the money made umpiring is basically to replace old gear (or try out new technology) used umpiring.

"Big Game" umpires are a cut above the regular umpire and not in the same universe as "Smitty" . . .

A "Big Game" can change by definiton each day . . .

The game could be between two average teams that had a big confrontation the last time they played. Your assignor could be sending you there because you are an "elephant hunter": he could be sending you because the game is between two teams fighting for the championship (or last playoff spot), or (more alturistically) he may be sending you to a game that maybe in the press where he cannot afford (for his personal well being)a screw up.

"Big Games" to some are normal games to others.

Pete, I set goals each year.

After 35 years and THOUSANDS of games it is still easy to set "performance" goals. I have found that if I set goals for HOW I umpire (and attain them) I will get more than my share of "Big Games."

I want the "Big Game", I want to be in the "Big Inning" and I want the last "Big Call" to come my way . . . I want the 3-2 pitch, with the bases full, in the bottom of the last inning with the score tied. (i.e. I had F6 ask me once what I was saying during a pitch, I told him 'I said, hit it to me, hit it to me.')

I don't want the "big call" to prove I have a big sack, I want the "big call' because that is what I have trained for all my life.

And the reason I get "Big Games" is best defined by my assignor when he said, "Tee, I have NEVER had a call after a game you worked that was anything but positive." That is OK, but it is better when the losing coach calls.

Perfomance goals should be established even by "Smitty" -- but it is not my place to evaluate any umpire for how far (i.e. how big of games he wants) or how low an umpire wants to work.

That comes from inside people and is defined by what THEY want not someone else.

Sorry about the length,

Tee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

TEE, you are dead on. Only 11 years here and perhaps a couple thosand games, from the 9-10's to the old man crap....meaningless to championship PONY regions and FED sections. Put me in the fire.....tiss where I belong. Great umps can handle it, others are not so gifted.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What was the question?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Unless you are unemployed, MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE THE REASON YOU OFFICIATE.
Why not? It cost money to travel to a game? The equipment cost money. You accept the money they give you right? I know I accept the money.

If anyone that knows me realizes that I might go further than most in my sports when I officiate. And in the long run I might actually lose money based on what they are paying me for the game, but I would not be honest with myself if I said I did not do it for the money at all. Of course it is not the only reason, but it is a reason. I know if I was not getting paid, it would be really hard to go to many games if I was never compensated.

Peace
Reading 101 - MONEY SHOULD NEVER BE...THE...REASON YOU OFFICIATE.

If you are umpiring/refereeing/officiating solely for the money, then you made a serious career error.

At the beginning - remember, this post was targeted at new officials setting their goals - the money sucks and the aggravation immense.

READING 102 - GOALS ARE NOT PRIORITIES

Most new officials don't enter this trade with dollar signs in their eyes. Most of the guys I work with don't walk off the field saying "I earned my money today." We walk off and talk about the game. That is why I enterred the profession.

READING 103 - I HAVE WORKED MANY TIMES FOR FREE, USUALLY TEACHING CLINICS

I will gladly accept remuneration for my efforts. It is not the reason I accepted the game, bought gear and travelled. Like I said, unless you have to accept the game in order to eat, most of us have a choice in working the game. If you are soley officiating because of the money, you are either a professional (making huge bucks) or need to reevaluate your priorities. The game deserves better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Very interesting. Here's my screwed up opinion. I started officiating back in 92, so I would have a great understanding of applicable rules. Did a lot of free games, learned the trade. NOW, money is coming in. I am coming of age and getting some good games, PONY loves me, FED loves me.....wow....JUCO calls are coming in.

Now, this may seem selfish, but I have a "product" to offer, ME! As is my career, I do not work for free, nor do I expect anyone to do so. You have a talent, charge accordingly. I tok this past season off to coach my son's Mustang team, I worked 3 behind the dish when ump no-showed(yes, gear is set up in car, baseball/football), accepted no moneys, had fun with the kids. That is alll good, but....there comes a time where my time is money...simply put.....ya get what ya pay for
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:25pm

Thesis submitted

Jim -
I agree, your response was well spoken.

We disagree on some semantics, though.
Few college freshman know what they want to do professionally after graduation. They may have an idea, but that it why most universities allow the student to defer his/her commitment (Read "goal") until they have experienced a generalized curriculum. Yes, there are exceptions, but most don't have a clue.

The same goes for new officials. The rare ones know that they will have to work hard and be very disciplined in order to achieve in this field. I'm not referring to the guy who is just picking up a few bucks working a handful of games for his local park district. I am specifically referring to the individual that has made a conscious effort to purchase good gear, attend training sessions and work a solid schedule. Every year we see these rookies and mentor them to expect a rough few years. We ask them why they got into the trade and what drives them to do this. Some say they need the income, some say they miss the game. The following year, the guys that return are the ones that had their priorities right. Learn...then earn.

I'm not asking anyone to give up the paycheck or respect the game more. I am reminding my fellow members that like anything in life, if you have a very narrow focus on something (working solely for the money) you may achieve your goals, but the journey won't be as much fun. I challenge any member to show me anyone who has officiated for twenty years or more and does it SOLELY for the money. Even Trump does some things because they are fun (take Milania , for instance).

Providing for your family, having a little extra fun money or putting it away for retirement - these are all noble endeavors. The guy who volunteers his time and talent is no more loved and respected, but has set different priorities. The overweight guy who wants to see his daughter walk down the aisle, same boat. Let's not forget the retiree who just wants to keep his mind sharp and enjoy the sun. All of these guys have different priorities and love officiating. My point was and remains, discover something you love to do and find reasons to do it. (Reasons - plural.) Life will be better that way.

[Edited by WindyCityBlue on Aug 10th, 2004 at 10:34 AM]
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

My goals when I started four years ago were to 1) meet people within the community and 2) help pay for the house full of furniture I had just bought. For two years I took every game offered to me, even made myself available when umpires were need on a moments notice...I live about 2 miles from the park. Since then, I've re-discovered my love of the game even though I haven't played seriously for 20 years and having picked up hockey on my 30th birthday (speaking of which, why is it easier to find adult hockey leagues than adult baseball leagues?). I also discovered how much I enjoyed being a part of the group at the park, both older and younger guys. One of my favorite partners is 17 and going to be a senior in HS this year. He had one of the most outstanding ejections I've ever seen! But since that first two years and the addition of a wife and a son, my priorities have changed.
Even when the games are over in an hour, at $40 each, its now to the point where I no longer want to sweat profusely, spend hours on the field away from my family, listen to bickering from the dugout or the stands over how a caught tipped ball is still in play or the IFR for the millionth time. Its nice to pay for my ice time or to fund whatever project my wife has gotten into this month, but its simply a matter of not wanting to do it any more and having lost my enthusiasm for doing so. Some have suggested I just need a break, so I'm not calling any fall games. I don't care about the level of play, or age, I'm just tired of it for now. Anyone else feel that way? I see some of the people here who have been doing this for 15, 20 years and it just amazes me.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

And,

Some of us just finished our 35th season.

Tee