The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

What would be the best position with a R3? B or C?
a. less than two outs
b. two outs.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

On the 90' diamond, we use C if less tha two outs, B if two outs.

With less than two outs, there is still a possibility of a play at third (pickoffs, throwing behind the runner, etc). With two outs, the chances of the infield going to 1B with the play are ALMOST 100%.

If there is a reasonable chance for a play at 3B, you are better off in C (usually). With two outs, the almost 100% chance of the first play going to 1B means you are better off in B.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

OK,

Please show me in the Federation Manual, the NCAA manual or the NAPL manual where it says "go to 'B' with two outs".

In fact the CCA manual says clearly, "outs do not matter".

Iffin' you want to do it by the book stay in "C" -- if your local area suggests you move to "B", don't buck the trend.

BTW, there is no logical reason to move to "B" IF you are a reasonably good, experienced umpire.

Oh yeah, I go to "B" with two out.

Tee
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 08:14am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Please show me in the Federation Manual, the NCAA manual or the NAPL manual where it says "go to 'B' with two outs".

In fact the CCA manual says clearly, "outs do not matter".

Iffin' you want to do it by the book stay in "C" -- if your local area suggests you move to "B", don't buck the trend.

BTW, there is no logical reason to move to "B" IF you are a reasonably good, experienced umpire.

Oh yeah, I go to "B" with two out.

Tee
Good one, Tee!
mick
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Stay in B

Quote:
Originally posted by teacherspit
a. less than two outs
b. two outs.
We simply stay in B. No need to go to C.

Have a great angle of the play from B so there's no flip/flops depending on outs etc.,

Gosh I've been watching too much politics ugh!

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 12:08pm

Lightbulb A different philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
a. less than two outs
b. two outs.
We simply stay in B. No need to go to C.

Have a great angle of the play from B so there's no flip/flops depending on outs etc.,
There are reasons to adjust; depending on the quality of players (does the catcher have a snap throw?), score of the game (is it a blowout?), right handed or left handed pitcher, is third creeping in and your level of conditioning are just a few.

You should be in a good starting position and anticipate what could be a problem. The original post said there was a runner on 3rd, but there could also be a runner on 2nd or 1st, and you need to adjust.

The NCAA and CCA manuals have changed a great deal over the last few years. I've never worked a D-1 game without two partners, and the D-1 guys drive the engine of change. It is not surprising that the rules guys haven’t come around to the mechanic originally mentioned. Don’t be surprised if you see it taught at a clinic in the near future, though.

Proponents of it insist that most 3rd outs from the infield are made at first. Unless the runners are moving and the ball is hit right at 2nd or 3rd, the infielder characteristically gets the batter/runner at 1st. I used this mechanic during the last year and had no trouble.

However, staying in “B” no matter what, is a mistake. If you have a runner on 2nd, you need to be ahead of him, otherwise your looking up his backside on a steal or sliding play. I see a lot of guys with runners on 2nd and 3rd drop back to “B” with two outs and don’t understand the advantage gained. In fact, if the catcher throws back to 3rd, your farther away for a tough call!
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
a. less than two outs
b. two outs.
In games were the players shave, I could probably count on my right hand the number of times a pitcher has attempted a pickoff at third. Throwing behind the runner? Two to three steps toward the back of the mound from the "B", and I am in perfect position to see it.

On a ground ball to the infield, most of the time the runner at third will be looked back and then a play at first will happen, except if the runner attempts to go home. So if most of the time I need to be closer to first, why not start in the "B" position.

In lower level ball I may adjust to the conditions.

R2,R3 always in the "C" position. My first move for a play to third is 2-3 steps toward home plate, right turn and guess what I have a great view of.

Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I get in C for an R3 only situation, which is by the book in the books I have. However, if the 3b man is so far from 3B there is slim chance of a pickoff or throw back from the catcher, then I move to B, for the more likely play at 1B.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

With the infield in. a. 3rd only b. 2rd and 3rd c. loaded.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Be ready to get out of the way.

Quote:
With the infield in, and 2-man mechanics, there isn't a lot of room for anywhere besides right behind the pitcher - I would choose the "C" side but it is only one step from the "B" side so it kind of depends upon positioning of F6 and F4.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:01pm
etihwsamoht

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
a. less than two outs
b. two outs.
In games were the players shave, I could probably count on my right hand the number of times a pitcher has attempted a pickoff at third. Throwing behind the runner? Two to three steps toward the back of the mound from the "B", and I am in perfect position to see it.

On a ground ball to the infield, most of the time the runner at third will be looked back and then a play at first will happen, except if the runner attempts to go home. So if most of the time I need to be closer to first, why not start in the "B" position.

In lower level ball I may adjust to the conditions.

R2,R3 always in the "C" position. My first move for a play to third is 2-3 steps toward home plate, right turn and guess what I have a great view of.

Where have you been, a man with brains not set in concrete.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:25pm

Quote:
a) C b) C c) C

Infield in) C [moving to the left for F6]

Infield out) C

Infield DP depth) C

When am I in B? R1 only.

It's the way I was taught. Old dog, new tricks?...nah.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I am sincerely curious and by no means intend any insult; but what kind, or level, of baseball refers to the base umpire as an FU?
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well, when I have been on the field, "FU" has been mentioned before.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:42am

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
I am sincerely curious and by no means intend any insult; but what kind, or level, of baseball refers to the base umpire as an FU?
The CK umpires.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25