The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

In a Legion game a couple weeks ago I had a situation that I'd never encountered before. With two strikes on the batter he swung at a big breaking ball and completely missed it. The ball then continued breaking and hit his rear foot. I called dead ball, and thought it was ruled a foul ball. After reading some of the posts in the "hand part of the bat" thread I'm wondering if I should have called the batter out. If so, how does this effect that fact that the catcher did not catch the ball as it became immediately dead. Would the batter be out without a play anywhere? It was a strange situation for me and nobody complained about it, but I want to get it right if it ever happens again.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 6.05

A batter is out when (f) He attempts to hit a third strike and the ball touches him.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the pitcher balked (OBR). Ball is still dead.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Wink

The one thing you need to remember about a foul ball is that it needs to be hit with the bat before you can call "Foul!" If the ball and bat do not meet you cannot have a foul ball, no matter where it goes. If the ball and a swinging bat do not meet, you will almost always have a strike.

-Craig
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Yes, and the kid is out. HE may not like it and the coach may not like it (they prob'ly don't know the rule or remember). So u just gotta softly explain to the batter why he's out, most are 'cool' enough, they should understand once they know that's the rule. Hey, he'll know for next time, right?
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the info. Like I said, it was a strange play that I'd never seen before. I missed it apparently, but now I'll know next time.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking ahhhh - the board continues to serve

Quote:
Originally posted by dpr528
thanks for the info. Like I said, it was a strange play that I'd never seen before. I missed it apparently, but now I'll know next time.
Good to see that this board is good for teaching, coaching and mentoring - not just berating each other.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass