The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Under OBR, a pitcher, after coming set, cannot come to balance and then, in one continuous move, spin and throw to the base BEHIND him. First for a righty and third for a lefty. If they do, it would be a balk, as the pitcher didn't go directly to the base.

However, a pitcher can come to balance and then throw to the base he is FACING, first for a lefty and third for a righty. Why is coming to balance OK for one and not the other? G.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
8.05a

If the pitcher's foot breaks the plane of the rubber he must 1) throw home or 2)throw to second.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Under OBR, a pitcher, after coming set, cannot come to balance and then, in one continuous move, spin and throw to the base BEHIND him. First for a righty and third for a lefty. If they do, it would be a balk, as the pitcher didn't go directly to the base.

However, a pitcher can come to balance and then throw to the base he is FACING, first for a lefty and third for a righty. Why is coming to balance OK for one and not the other? G.
Because it's a direct motion to the base in one instance and not a direct motion to the base in the other.

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

"SNIP"

"Because it's a direct motion to the base in one instance and not a direct motion to the base in the other."
-------------------------------------

Have a hard time going along with that. What you're saying is that every time a left hander came to balance with an R1, it would be a direct motion to first and if he didn't step and throw, TO FIRST, it would be a balk. G.

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
"SNIP"

"Because it's a direct motion to the base in one instance and not a direct motion to the base in the other."
-------------------------------------

Have a hard time going along with that. What you're saying is that every time a left hander came to balance with an R1, it would be a direct motion to first and if he didn't step and throw, TO FIRST, it would be a balk. G.

That's not what I said at all.

Raising your foot toward the balance point is a motion associated with either a throw to the plate, or a throw to the base being faced, or a throw to second. It's not a motion associated with a throw to the base behind.

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

"Raising your foot toward the balance point is a motion associated with either a throw to the plate, or a throw to the base being faced, or a throw to second. It's not a motion associated with a throw to the base behind."

It is a motion associated with thrownin got the behind base if I do it when I throw to the base behind... is there somewhere in the book where it says this? I would think its ok to go to a balance and step backwards to first (as a righthanded pitcher)... a balance is not an intent or motion to do ANYTHING... I would consider it neutral... but again I like to see written out rules...

I'm raising straight up then stepping straight backwards to first... why is that associated with home, third, and second?

This one I've always wondered about... can anyone give a correct ruling on it with a source?