The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   visits to the mound (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14513-visits-mound.html)

mike clauson Sat Jul 10, 2004 09:01am

When is it considered an official trip to the mound by a manger? I had a situation last night where the manager came out to talk to his pitcher before the inning had started. The game had started, but we were between innings. Does this count as an official visit? Does the same logic apply between 1/2 innings. i.e. can the manager of the visiting team go to the mound before the bottom half of the inning begins and not have it count as an official visit? Please clarify. Thanks

bob jenkins Sat Jul 10, 2004 09:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by mike clauson
When is it considered an official trip to the mound by a manger? I had a situation last night where the manager came out to talk to his pitcher before the inning had started. The game had started, but we were between innings. Does this count as an official visit? Does the same logic apply between 1/2 innings. i.e. can the manager of the visiting team go to the mound before the bottom half of the inning begins and not have it count as an official visit? Please clarify. Thanks
If it doesn't delay the game, don't count it as a visit. (Unless it's LL and if they have a specific different interp.)

mike clauson Sun Jul 11, 2004 08:03am

It is a Junior level LL game. I don't see anywhere in the rules where it covers this. I had some fans pretty upset when I ruled it didn't count.

GarthB Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by mike clauson
It is a Junior level LL game. I don't see anywhere in the rules where it covers this. I had some fans pretty upset when I ruled it didn't count.
Fans:

1. Have the inalienable right to be stupid.
2. Can always see better from 150 feet than a base umpire can from 12.
3. Can always see pitches better from thirty feet, a side angle, being elevated on stands and through the umpire and catcher than the plate ump ever could.
4. Know the rules better than anyone especially the ones covering the hands being part of the bat and the tie going to the runner.

And

5. Have the right to express their opinions based on the above as loudly as possible with the slightest fear being corrected.

However, you should never take their opinion or reaction into consideration when making a ruling or a call.

[Edited by GarthB on Jul 11th, 2004 at 12:44 PM]

rmstone Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:29am

In our league we have a rule that says the third out of hte previous inning is the immediate beginning of the next inning... so there is no "Between Innings" if he goes out its a trip because the inning already started... so you might wanna check to see if you league has a rule like that...

GarthB Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by rmstone
In our league we have a rule that says the third out of hte previous inning is the immediate beginning of the next inning... so there is no "Between Innings" if he goes out its a trip because the inning already started... so you might wanna check to see if you league has a rule like that...
Only, of course, if you want to pick nits and boogers while looking for the sh!##y end of a stick to hold while waiting for your memberhsip in the OOO association to be approved.

jumpmaster Mon Jul 12, 2004 09:30am

coaches

I had a coach try and pull this on me this year. American Legion AA game.

Coach: "isn't that a trip to the mound?"
Me: "what code are we playing by?"
Coach: "code?"
Me: "rules. HS, College, Major League, Legion"
Coach: "I don't know"
Me: "no it's not a trip. this isn't little league."
Coach: "oh" as he wanders off scratching his head.

I got a chuckle out of it.

DG Mon Jul 12, 2004 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rmstone
Do you have time limits in your league? If so, this rule would apply to when the time limit is up, but not to what is a trip? If the coach talks to his pitcher on the field during the time he is given to warm up, it should not be considered a trip.

DG Mon Jul 12, 2004 07:08pm

Item 143 in The 2004 BRD:

FED: If the coach stands with his pitcher at the mound during half innings, he is not charged with a conference. PENALTY: If the coach's presence creates a delay, the umpire "may" charge a conference.

OBR: Point not covered. OFF INTERP: Same as FED. PENALTY: If such a "conference" delays the game: Following the first delay, the umpire should warn the coach that on the next delay he will be charged with a trip to the mound. A team must be warned once per game before the penalty is invoked.