The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

The other day I saw this in a tournament game (which I was not working). FED rules. Runner on second, ball hit to the outfield, R2 about to make a wide turn at third when the third base coach maneuvers himself directly into the runner's path. No contact is made and I'm not even sure he left the coach's box, but his intention was obviously to hold up the runner by blocking his path. My question is this: Does this qualify as "physically assisting" or does the coach actually have to grab him to get the call? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by C'monBlue
The other day I saw this in a tournament game (which I was not working). FED rules. Runner on second, ball hit to the outfield, R2 about to make a wide turn at third when the third base coach maneuvers himself directly into the runner's path. No contact is made and I'm not even sure he left the coach's box, but his intention was obviously to hold up the runner by blocking his path. My question is this: Does this qualify as "physically assisting" or does the coach actually have to grab him to get the call? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Let's look at it this way. Suppose the coach held his hands up using the gesture for stop and even yelled "right here, right here" and stood in the same place and again did not make contact.

Would you call physically assisting the runner then?

If not, and I would not, why consider it in your situation?
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Mr. U,

I think you are probably right. Even though the coach was physically and intentionally planting himself in the runner's way, it might be a stretch to get him for obstruction. Now, if the two collide, we might have a different story. Thanks!

Ed
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 09:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Do not go looking for stuff to call. Use common sense. Making a call like this would not be using any if you ask me.

Peace

Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The other day I saw this in a tournament game (which I was not working). FED rules. Runner on second, ball hit to the outfield, R2 about to make a wide turn at third when the third base coach maneuvers himself directly into the runner's path. No contact is made and I'm not even sure he left the coach's box, but his intention was obviously to hold up the runner by blocking his path. My question is this: Does this qualify as "physically assisting" or does the coach actually have to grab him to get the call?

Physically assisting is EXACTLY what it says. You see plenty of coaches Pointing to the base, putting their hands up, shouting Right Here! Right Here! - That's his /her job. The runner initially picks up the ball to get an idea of where it is, but when he /she is heading for third, they look at the base coach to see if:

(1) They are being waved in
(2) They should stop

As long as the coach doesn't grab the player and stop him /her in their tracks or puchses them to get extra momentum in going home - it's nothing.

Side Note: Since you said FED rules, if a player hits an HR and rounds third and stumbles and the coach physically assits the runner, it is ok since the ball was dead.

Reference: FED Case Play 3.2.2A
B1 hits an HR, out of the park and, while rounding third, trips OVER the base. The 3rd base Coachs helps B1 to his feet.

RULING: The ball is dead and since B1 is awarded four bases for the HR, he is allowed to score with this type of assistance by the 3rd base coach.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mr. U,

I think you are probably right. Even though the coach was physically and intentionally planting himself in the runner's way, it might be a stretch to get him for obstruction. Now, if the two collide, we might have a different story. Thanks!

Ed
I think if the two collide you still have to decide if the coach physically assisted the runner with returning to or leaving third base. He may have actually hindered the runner.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking technical term

There is a technical term for this type of call...Booger Pickin'.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone here 100%, and I appreciate you calling them as you see 'em. There is absolutely no doubt that it is booger pickin'. Lately, though, I've been working some extremely low-grade summer ball. Rather than teach complicated things like hitting, fielding, and baserunning, coaches here seem more concerned about things that are irrelevant to the actual game. (Just last week, a guy was upset because the opposing pitcher's hat was on slightly crooked. Another wanted a charged conference because the other coach was talking to his pitcher between innings.) I guess I was just looking to do a little preventive boogering with my question.

Along the same lines, then, what is the most ridiculous thing that a coach has ever tried to pull on you?
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mr. U,

Ed
"it might be a stretch to get him for obstruction."

The "stretch" would be your neck. If you make an obstruction call on a base you, you should be hanged.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Rather than teach complicated things like hitting, fielding, and baserunning, coaches here seem more concerned about things that are irrelevant to the actual game. (Just last week, a guy was upset because the opposing pitcher's hat was on slightly crooked. Another wanted a charged conference because the other coach was talking to his pitcher between innings.)
Don't know if you are a subscriber to the paid part of this site. Peter Osborne has a series of articles about creative ejections that would be a good read for you. You may not subscribe to his methodology, but you will learn something about game management. IMHO, at levels where the ball SUX, game management is about the only thing going.

Have you tried bringing up your concerns with the UIC or the board?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass