View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by C'monBlue

The other day I saw this in a tournament game (which I was not working). FED rules. Runner on second, ball hit to the outfield, R2 about to make a wide turn at third when the third base coach maneuvers himself directly into the runner's path. No contact is made and I'm not even sure he left the coach's box, but his intention was obviously to hold up the runner by blocking his path. My question is this: Does this qualify as "physically assisting" or does the coach actually have to grab him to get the call?

Physically assisting is EXACTLY what it says. You see plenty of coaches Pointing to the base, putting their hands up, shouting Right Here! Right Here! - That's his /her job. The runner initially picks up the ball to get an idea of where it is, but when he /she is heading for third, they look at the base coach to see if:

(1) They are being waved in
(2) They should stop

As long as the coach doesn't grab the player and stop him /her in their tracks or puchses them to get extra momentum in going home - it's nothing.

Side Note: Since you said FED rules, if a player hits an HR and rounds third and stumbles and the coach physically assits the runner, it is ok since the ball was dead.

Reference: FED Case Play 3.2.2A
B1 hits an HR, out of the park and, while rounding third, trips OVER the base. The 3rd base Coachs helps B1 to his feet.

RULING: The ball is dead and since B1 is awarded four bases for the HR, he is allowed to score with this type of assistance by the 3rd base coach.

Pete Booth