The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

As BU in B position with R1 at first base, the BR hit a grounder to F4 who throws high to F6 causing him to elevate off the bag on the front end of a double play.

I waited until F6 came down on the bag before calling R1 out at second, and then F6 throws wild to F3 bouncing the ball into the dugout. PU announces dead ball and the BR is awarded 2nd base.

Half the fans and the offensive dugout is going nuts wanting R1 called safe at second as they thought F6 threw to F3 before coming down on the bag at second.

Offensive coach comes to me and wants to know what I saw to call his runner out at second. After telling him what I saw, conversation goes like this:

Coach: yep, that's what I thought you saw. With the fans and my team yelling the way they are, you know I had to come out.

Me: Well coach, since you made the trip I can give you about five more seconds to take your hat off, wave your arms and kick the grass if you want.

Coach: No thanks, with my luck I'd drop my hat and fall over while bending down to pick it up.

It was hard to keep a straight face as the ball was put back in play.

Michael

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite was with a coach I'd worked with MANY times before. He is known to test young umpires, if for no other reason than to see if they know the "odd" rules, but he no longer tests me. Anyway, after an obstruction call that went against his team, his fans go nuts. He rolls his eyes at his crowd, calls time, approaches me calmly.

During most of this conversation, he's making pointing gestures at different parts of the field or players.

Coach: You know why I'm out here, right?

Me: Yup

Coach: So, how's your daughter - her asthma better?

Me: Doing much better - her doctor said we might only have one more appointment.

Coach: That's great. OK - time to go.

He then throws his hat toward his dugout and walks off the field.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking class act

guys like that are a dream...hope he is as good a coach as he understands the game. Wish they could all be like that.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

I had one last year who came out to discuss a close play at 1B. I called his runner out, but a fraction after the catch the 1B came off the bag. He comes out and says "can you get some help from your partner on that one?" I say no I can't, I have already made the call and I thought it was a good call. He says "well I thought he was off the bag and I realize you are not going to change the call, but at least my players and fans can see me out here questioning the call and if it's all right with you I will wave my hands a little bit and then leave." I said "fine" he wave his hands and then left. He retired at the end of the season.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 08:05pm

My favorite coach's line of all time...

Working in the Appy, about 96 degrees at game time. The lights are on the mosquitos are as big as volkswagens AND it's 25¢ beer night!

I'm lined up down the first base line and a right handed batter gets a hold of one that is screaming at the base. It lands just over the base, kicks up chalk and caroms directly at me. I freeze and my left hand instinctively goes to my side and snags the ball. GREAT CATCH!!! The crowd is silent...the batter is standing half way down the line looking at me. The first baseman is laughing. I wanted to crawl under the bag, because I knew Fitz would be all over me tomorrow. Just then, the defensive coach steps out of the dugout and says, "Throw it to first." As they say...the crowd went nuts and I wound up buying rounds for a long time.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
My favorite coach's line of all time...

Working in the Appy, about 96 degrees at game time. The lights are on the mosquitos are as big as volkswagens AND it's 25¢ beer night!

I'm lined up down the first base line and a right handed batter gets a hold of one that is screaming at the base. It lands just over the base, kicks up chalk and caroms directly at me. I freeze and my left hand instinctively goes to my side and snags the ball. GREAT CATCH!!! The crowd is silent...the batter is standing half way down the line looking at me. The first baseman is laughing. I wanted to crawl under the bag, because I knew Fitz would be all over me tomorrow. Just then, the defensive coach steps out of the dugout and says, "Throw it to first." As they say...the crowd went nuts and I wound up buying rounds for a long time.
Damn... I'm still laughing... I haver never seen anything that funny on a ball field.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

More Funny Stories

I love stories like that. Laughing outloud myself. If you like that though you should read Ken Kaiser's "Planet of The Umps". Very funny and all sorts of 'officials' humor. Like how every ump hated Earl Weaver. Things like that.

Jasper
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 08:18am

Thanks!

Well considering how I've got some members crying and others jumping up and down, I figured that making the rest smile was worth a shot. Every time I see my old partners Christmas card, I think about that moment.

Regardless of your opinion of my posts, I bet that most of them make you think. They might just might make you think about getting out of the way of a screamer, too.