Thread: Chat With Coach
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

As BU in B position with R1 at first base, the BR hit a grounder to F4 who throws high to F6 causing him to elevate off the bag on the front end of a double play.

I waited until F6 came down on the bag before calling R1 out at second, and then F6 throws wild to F3 bouncing the ball into the dugout. PU announces dead ball and the BR is awarded 2nd base.

Half the fans and the offensive dugout is going nuts wanting R1 called safe at second as they thought F6 threw to F3 before coming down on the bag at second.

Offensive coach comes to me and wants to know what I saw to call his runner out at second. After telling him what I saw, conversation goes like this:

Coach: yep, that's what I thought you saw. With the fans and my team yelling the way they are, you know I had to come out.

Me: Well coach, since you made the trip I can give you about five more seconds to take your hat off, wave your arms and kick the grass if you want.

Coach: No thanks, with my luck I'd drop my hat and fall over while bending down to pick it up.

It was hard to keep a straight face as the ball was put back in play.

Michael