The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Where should the first batter stand when the opposing pitcher is warming up?

I always thought that the batter was required to be in the on deck circle and not up near the plate timing the pitchers pitches.

Is there something in the rulebook to cover this in NFHS or OBR?

How do you handle it?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

FED rule 3-3-3.

Players loosening up to bat shall remain in the area of their team's on-deck circle when the pitcher is warming up.

PENALTY: The umpire shall issure a team warning to the coach of the team involved. The next offender on that team shall be ejected.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Aside from FED, which has it's specific ruling, in other games (ie OBR) I would position myself between the batter and the catcher with brush in hand and ask the batter to back up while the pitcher warms up. You generally see this in the younger players because the higher up you go the more likely the first pitch will be high and tight, if the batter has been near the plate during warmups. I saw a batter stand near the plate in game a couple nights ago, while I was getting a drink of water, so I was not able to get between the batter and the catcher. I told the coach that he needed to get his players away from the warmup area for the reasons I just mentioned. The coach was a former pitcher, and he completely understood.