The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Chicago (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14077-chicago.html)

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 04:50pm

Shhhhhhhhh

If you had any pride you would have stopped long ago.

No. We do not want to assign games.
Finally...you kept claiming that Tim and Dave and Bob were members of your group. But yur group doesn't assign highschool baseball games. So, when UMPS claims to have the best umpires, our members actually work the games they are assigned.

You might want to run thsi by Alstadt since you don't have a clue legally. Assignors don't "hire" officials. In Illinois, as in many other states, officials are independent contractors. If someone "hires" someone, they begin and employer/employee relationship and Workmen's Comp and taxation issues enter the equation. So, I guess I do understand it a little better than you.

You come here are run your mouth so much, but it is very clear you are clueless about how assigning is done in other sports. Because I work in the very same conferences that UMPS assigns and the assignors do not assign by association. They assign them by crews or who attends the camps to get evaluated. It works well in other sports, why is this a problem in baseball?

who's running his mouth now? Baseball is a completely different animal by design. The schools in our area formed a consortium (NISOC) and set the ground rules for dealing with assignors and associations. Because UMPS is so big, we are able to lobby for things that you can't. The conferences and schools sign our contract, we don't sign theirs! Our assignors work for us and get paid by our group, not the school or conference. They handle all of the rescheduling issues, not the school. Baseball is a non-revenue producing sport (so they claim) and treat the assigning differently. Basketball games rarely get cancelled due to weather, football has 12 games a year and plays through most everything. These ADs recognized the headache that scheduling and rescheduling 32 games can be. In the Chicgao area, if your talented and want them, you have a game every day. Now, if we operated like other sports and cancelled a game that they want rescheduled for tomorrow - but wait, I already have a game tomorrow, they're screwed. having one assignor handling both area conferences assures that those snafus don't occur. No phone trees or email begging. He knows who is playing and who is available...end of question. I'm not sure, did I answer all of your assigning questions. BTW, we are talking baseball here.

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:08pm

You would know.

Quote:

Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
You might want to run thsi by Alstadt since you don't have a clue legally. Assignors don't "hire" officials. In Illinois, as in many other states, officials are independent contractors. If someone "hires" someone, they begin and employer/employee relationship and Workmen's Comp and taxation issues enter the equation. So, I guess I do understand it a little better than you.
Yes assignor hire officials. They hire them to do a specific job. If I want someone to do a project on my house, I hire them to do that job. Same thing as officiating. :rolleyes:

Quote:

who's running his mouth now? Baseball is a completely different animal by design. The schools in our area formed a consortium (NISOC) and set the ground rules for dealing with assignors and associations.
I do not care what the reasoning is, it should not be that way. I do agree that it is a different animal. Of course it is when the State Finals are not even shown live. Of course it is a different animal.

Quote:

Because UMPS is so big, we are able to lobby for things that you can't. The conferences and schools sign our contract, we don't sign theirs! Our assignors work for us and get paid by our group, not the school or conference.
Well every other level of umpiring and officiating pays an assignor to assign the games. So why is High School Baseball so different in our area?

Quote:

They handle all of the rescheduling issues, not the school. Baseball is a non-revenue producing sport (so they claim) and treat the assigning differently.

So is volleyball, but they go thru assignors.

Quote:

Basketball games rarely get cancelled due to weather, football has 12 games a year and plays through most everything.

Actually, it is nine. But it was a nice try.

Quote:

These ADs recognized the headache that scheduling and rescheduling 32 games can be.

It goes to show how little you know about sports in our state. Who do you think does all the assigning and rescheduling and filling spots? It is not the school at any of these school in the Chicago area.

Quote:

In the Chicgao area, if your talented and want them, you have a game every day. Now, if we operated like other sports and cancelled a game that they want rescheduled for tomorrow - but wait, I already have a game tomorrow, they're screwed.

Again, more evidence you know little about how other sports work.

Quote:

having one assignor handling both area conferences assures that those snafus don't occur. No phone trees or email begging. He knows who is playing and who is available...end of question. I'm not sure, did I answer all of your assigning questions. BTW, we are talking baseball here.
We are and we are not. Because everything you just said is exactly what goes on in Football, Basketball or Volleyball. Schools do not assign reschedules (they happen in those sports more than you think). ADs are not assigning the many officiating changes that happen. In all cases I know of, that is the assignor. The assignor might not do it if an officials gives him a good replacement. But the assignor are the ones that have to replace the game ultimately. The schools play no direct part in that.

Again, you prove to be just completely unprofessional. You have spent the past few months trying to pump up your organization. You have been called on it by a completely uninterested party. The poster just wanted to know information about associations. He can tell you that I told him to contact all of them and figure out who was the best to join. Of course I gave information about my group, but I also told him to look at your organization too. There are good and bad people in all of them. It is for each individual to figure out for themselves what that is.

Peace

GarthB Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:09am

Would you guys please take this back to McGriff's, where it fits so much better.

Thank you.

His High Holiness Fri Jun 18, 2004 07:03am

They can't

Quote:

Originally posted by GarthB
Would you guys please take this back to McGriff's, where it fits so much better.

Thank you.

GarthB;

McGriffs does not appear to be working. I tried making a post in reply to Rich and was rejected. I don't see any posts since early yesterday afternoon, so it appears to be a problem for everyone. It's kind of like Microsoft. Brand new software that does more and works less.

I agree with you, however. The war between Chicago umpires has gotten out of hand. I'm glad I am not umpiring there. It makes one nostalgic for the buttsnuffler wars of old.

So, heres to you, KING OF THE SNUFFLERS :D

Peter

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:08am

HHH & G, et al

Peter and Garth,

I will stop discussing the association rivalry in Chicago

It seems that logic, reason and fact cannot deter Jeff Rutledge from proving what everyone keeps saying about him. As I have only been on this Board for the last year, I was unaware that trying to reason with him would be futile.

My apologies for the attempt.

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:16am

that post is glowing with sarcasm

His High Holiness Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:29am

Re: HHH & G, et al

Quote:

Peter and Garth,

It seems that logic, reason and fact cannot deter Jeff Rutledge from proving what everyone keeps saying about him. As I have only been on this Board for the last year, I was unaware that trying to reason with him would be futile.

My apologies for the attempt.

By all means, don't stop with that. You will never convince him of anything but it's great entertainment to watch.

Peter

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 09:11am

Thank you

Mr. Curtin (brian 43),

I think you mean "dripping" with sarcasm.

But, thank you, none the less.

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 09:43am

you really do take advantage of knowing your friend's password to the FVB site dont you?

dripping, glowing, sopping, saturated, etc. theres many words i could have used.

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:51am

No password needed, your the only Brian on their Roster.

Oh, that and the fact that you guys feel compelled to wear your numbers on your shirt sleeve, in violation of the IHSA uniform code.

Sometimes, this is too easy.

JRutledge Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:00pm

We know you are.

Quote:

No password needed, your the only Brian on their Roster.

Oh, that and the fact that you guys feel compelled to wear your numbers on your shirt sleeve, in violation of the IHSA uniform code.

Sometimes, this is too easy.

There are other games that members can do that are not associated with the IHSA. But you knew that right? :rolleyes:

Peace

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:16pm

No...

Why would you have an IHSA patch on a baseball umpire's shirt that has numbers?

1) You are too cheap to buy a second shirt for doing non-IHSA baseball.

2) You don't care how it looks.

3) Yu are trying to show up a partner that doesn't belong to your group.

There might be another reason or two, but when I see a guy walk on a high school field (in Illinois) with numbers, I laugh. And don't forget up until last year, the left sleeve had teh IHSA Official's insignis and the right sleeve had the Sportsmanship patch. Those who had numbers on their right sleeve should not be wondering why they did not get playoff assignments when they couldn't adhere to policy.

JRutledge Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:30pm

Re: No...

Quote:

Why would you have an IHSA patch on a baseball umpire's shirt that has numbers?

1) You are too cheap to buy a second shirt for doing non-IHSA baseball.

2) You don't care how it looks.

3) Yu are trying to show up a partner that doesn't belong to your group.

There might be another reason or two, but when I see a guy walk on a high school field (in Illinois) with numbers, I laugh. And don't forget up until last year, the left sleeve had teh IHSA Official's insignis and the right sleeve had the Sportsmanship patch. Those who had numbers on their right sleeve should not be wondering why they did not get playoff assignments when they couldn't adhere to policy.

I cannot speak for everyone and I will not. But I did not see anyone wear numbers on a shirt, unless it was a college game. If I saw any numbers on the shirt during a HS game, it was not on a member of that organization. And one of those individuals got a Sectional this year.

But I forgot, you are all knowing. :rolleyes:

Peace

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45pm

Just the facts

Uh, oh...
I know of several guys wearing their numbers during Sectionals and know of at least two that sported them in a Super-Sectional. They did have IHSA caps, though, so they had that going for them.

The best part...I know that one IHSA evaluator was present for the Sectional. Two evaluators were at their Super.

P.S. Did we really agree on how to handle chirping from the bench?

Cubbies87 Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:17pm

The UMPS patch

Not to cause any more trouble, but which IHSA uniform code policy is being violated by wearing numbers as long as you have the IHSA patch displayed 2-3" below the left shoulder line? Along those lines, wouldn't wearing the two UMPS patches I was provided with on the left breast pocket also be a violation of IHSA uniform code? However, I will be the first to admit that I'm new to both IHSA and UMPS and may not know the fine print of either.