The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Chicago (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14077-chicago.html)

GregR072 Wed Jun 09, 2004 05:51pm

Hi anyone work out of Chicago, either High School or College, summer or all of the above?

I'm moving to Chicago here in July, I'll be living in the north part of the city and looking to get hooked up with an association, thanks for any help!

LDUB Wed Jun 09, 2004 09:56pm

Don't know if this will work for you, but check this out.

http://www.fvbumpire.com/

JRutledge Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14pm

Some links.

This is the link to most of the main assignors in the area.

http://www.iacao.org/area_assignments.htm

This is the link to all the associations in the area.

http://www.iacao.org/iacao%20members.htm

If I were you, I would contact the associations first and go from there.

You do not have to join an association to work games in baseball, but it is a great place to make contacts and to learn more about the system in our area.

Peace

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 10, 2004 01:05pm

umps.org is the answer

Welcome to the Second City!

Where will you working? That'll make it easier to grab a game during the week, if you want.
Go to umps.org if you are interested in working competitve high school baseball.

We offer a great training program, support and work the best games in the area. The baseball assigning area is split, so you'll want to contact Kurt Pingel for the northside. His phone is listed on the site.

Good luck and we hope to see you soon.

GregR072 Fri Jun 11, 2004 09:28am

Thanks, Yeah I'll be in Rogers Park, right close to Evanston. I'll be coming in the end of July so I may not get many games this year, I dunno, but next year I'm looking forward to getting into the swing fo things with a new group.

brian43 Wed Jun 16, 2004 09:30am

check out the link LDUB posted about FVB. FVB (Fox Valley Blues) is probably your best bet as far as joining an association. we have a massive amount of territory and everything from LL to College level all around the chicago area. theres TONS of games up north, more in the suburbs than where you are, but you are still north of the city.

the site will tell you everything you want to know, just contact jeff (email is on the site) and he will get you setup.

WindyCityBlue Wed Jun 16, 2004 02:54pm

Don't settle for second best

If you live in Rogers Park, you will not want to drive 30 miles each way for a game. If you look at the umps.org home page, you'll see why you don't want to choose a lesser group.
You'll get the BEST games and plenty of them. In fact, this year's AA champ is one of our schools. Kurt Pingel has been doing our assigning for 27 years. He knows how to make sure that you work the games you want and gives you the exposure you need to get playoff assignments. Year after year, we prove it - no one gets more officials assigned to the IHSA playoffs. YOU'RE NEXT!

brian43 Wed Jun 16, 2004 03:01pm

FVB..UMPS...FVB....UMPS

its just going to go back and forth between members of each group, so just go check both sites and see which you like better. each group has their advantages (FVB has bigger territory, UMPS apparently gets people into the IHSA playoffs)

WindyCityBlue Wed Jun 16, 2004 05:13pm

Not really, the answer is obvious

its just going to go back and forth between members of each group, so just go check both sites and see which you like better.

Yes, the way to judge a group is web graphics, not experience, reputation and commitment.

each group has their advantages (FVB has bigger territory,
Read: You'll be in your car longer.

UMPS apparently gets people into the IHSA playoffs)
Read: Must be doing something right. More people get the exposure rather than a select few. Oh, Kurt doesn't work anymore, so he doesn't have to cherry pick the prime assignments.

It comes down to whether or not you want to receive credit for busting your *** on the field. You spend a lot of time getting better, a lot of money buying gear and a lot of sweat on the field...don't you want an organization that will promote you to the people that matter? Why shouldn't it be you that gets the good games?

JRutledge Wed Jun 16, 2004 08:04pm

You can get into the playoffs regardless of what organization you belong to. You playoff position is based on your individual ratings and individual rankings. If you are not a Certified Umpire with high ratings, you are not doing a State Final just because you are an UMPS or FVB member. Name one umpire or official that has worked a Super-Sectional by not being Certified (scheduled originally now). The problem is that no one can. All joining a group is going to do for you is determine where you work some of your games. There are some umpires that belong to both organizations.

Baseball is no different than other sports, no matter how much people would like to convince everyone here of that crap. I belong to by far one of the best football organizations, not only in the state but in the country. Our officials are successful in that organization because they are trained well and handle themselves on the field. And we have guys that are not very good in our organization (just like any organization) and those guys do not get the opportunities, because they do not put in the work or are not respected by the coaches and fellow officials. Because if the coaches and officials do not respect you, the IHSA office is not going to assign you a playoff game. And it is the IHSA office and the individuals that make these decisions.

Peace

brian43 Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:38am

Re: Not really, the answer is obvious

Quote:

Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
its just going to go back and forth between members of each group, so just go check both sites and see which you like better.

Yes, the way to judge a group is web graphics, not experience, reputation and commitment.

each group has their advantages (FVB has bigger territory,
Read: You'll be in your car longer.

UMPS apparently gets people into the IHSA playoffs)
Read: Must be doing something right. More people get the exposure rather than a select few. Oh, Kurt doesn't work anymore, so he doesn't have to cherry pick the prime assignments.

It comes down to whether or not you want to receive credit for busting your *** on the field. You spend a lot of time getting better, a lot of money buying gear and a lot of sweat on the field...don't you want an organization that will promote you to the people that matter? Why shouldn't it be you that gets the good games?

did you even read the FVB website? im guessing you just checked out the first page and didnt read anything. there are 11 members who have in the last few years, or are currently, working professional baseball. your "must be doing something right" quote applies here.

JRutledge is right on the playoffs thing. anyone can get in.

read the info and decide for yourself. read being a key word.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:40am

Wow, eleven guys?!?

I am actually one of the UMPS members who currently works Minor League baseball. We have had three that actually worked Major League Baseball, in addition to the several dozen who have worked in the Minors.

I could have sworn that Brian was looking for High School and maybe a little college baseball when he moved to the Rogers Park area. How many FVB members do you have that live and work in the City? besides being prudent about spending all day in a car to make $52, I thought that he might like working with a group that has a proven track record.

I did read the FVB site, entirely. (They should change their password, since one of my friends let's me use his.)
While your talent will get you playoff assignments, if you are working crap ball in the sticks, you won't get seen as easily. Jeff received his first baseball playoff game this year with the IHSA. So did, 18 Registered and 22 recognized officials throughout the state. By the way, when was the last time that an umpire was assigned beyong the Sectionals, that was independent and lived in the Chicago area?

The purpose of an organization like UMPS is to train you, support you and promote you. Our membership excels year after year because we push each other. Remember, four of the six umpires for the state AA final are ours (including the Plate!). Oh, the Umpire in Chief for the series was ours, as well. Seven of the IHSA Certfied Clinicians are UMPS members - and not one of them is a member of FVB, as well.

I offered Brian the chance to make himself a better umpire and work games that will make a difference. If he takes us up on the offer, he will be welcomed.

brian43 Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:10am

do you work in sales?

to the guy that started the thread, both are good groups, choose whats best for you.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:34am

Cool, I got a freshman game in Crystal Lake

GregR072 -
Brian's right. Check out both groups.
No one group is for everybody.

Besides, you make like driving a long way for underlevel games.

GarthB Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by GregR072
Hi anyone work out of Chicago, either High School or College, summer or all of the above?

I'm moving to Chicago here in July, I'll be living in the north part of the city and looking to get hooked up with an association, thanks for any help!

Email Bob Jenkins, one of the moderators, privately and I'm sure he'll give you the information you need without putting a spin on it.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:48am

Re: Cool, I got a freshman game in Crystal Lake

Quote:

GregR072 -
Brian's right. Check out both groups.
No one group is for everybody.

Besides, you make like driving a long way for underlevel games.

I'm not a baseball umpire. Useta be many years ago. I still do football and basketball. I am a baseball fan however, so I read this forum too to try and kinda keep current of the rules-mostly OBR.

Just an observation. We are all supposed to be members of the Fraterity of Officials. Why do you insist on denigrating another group of officials at the same time that you are trying to promote your own group? Not very professional at all, imo. I've always been kind of leary of people or groups that use this tactic.

As I said, it's just an observation. Take it for what you think it's worth. Or not worth.

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:20pm

Wrong. Enough with the UMPS talk.

Quote:

I did read the FVB site, entirely. (They should change their password, since one of my friends let's me use his.)
While your talent will get you playoff assignments, if you are working crap ball in the sticks, you won't get seen as easily. Jeff received his first baseball playoff game this year with the IHSA. So did, 18 Registered and 22 recognized officials throughout the state. By the way, when was the last time that an umpire was assigned beyong the Sectionals, that was independent and lived in the Chicago area?

No, Jeff got his first IHSA assigned Baseball playoff and 5th total assignment between all the sports. This was my first since I reapplied in baseball. The Regional level used to be assigned by assignors and schools about 5 years ago. They changed that and this was my first since I reapplied for a baseball license.

Quote:

By the way, when was the last time that an umpire was assigned beyong the Sectionals, that was independent and lived in the Chicago area?
Who cares? I do not know the answer to this and it is not relevant to the individual that asked the question. He is looking to join an association, not make the State Finals next year. If he lives in Evanston, going to some of those schools that UMPS has might be far as well. Not sure I would want to travel from where I live to near Evanston on a regular basis.

If you want to pump up UMPS, that is your right. But this is not about any one organization. He could belong to many if he wants to. Others do it and they are on this board. Bob is a member of multiple organizations. I am a member of multiple organizations. Dave Alstadt (AOA Bastball Board President) is a member of multiple organizations. Bob Copas(worked the Class AA State Finals) is a member of multiple organizations. We all choose the ones that works for us and we work the season.

Peace

Jerry Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:34pm

Anyone in the Chicago or Cleveland area . . . check out "www.wbua.org" for possibilities in "Women's Baseball". I believe Chicago plays near Lincolnshire.

You can also check out "www.detroitdanger.com" for more info.

Jerry

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:36pm

You said it all JR.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Just an observation. We are all supposed to be members of the Fraterity of Officials. Why do you insist on denigrating another group of officials at the same time that you are trying to promote your own group? Not very professional at all, imo. I've always been kind of leary of people or groups that use this tactic.

As I said, it's just an observation. Take it for what you think it's worth. Or not worth.

Exactly.

I am a member of about 5 or 6 organizations or divisions. When I moved here about 5 years ago, I joined the groups that I personally got something out of. Some of it was based on geography. Some of it was based wanting to improve to a certain level. Some of it was to just make more contacts than I already have. Those choices were personal to me and at the end of the day, I do not care what others think about my decisions. All an organization is going to do for you in the Chicago area, is add to your contacts. You still have to perform on the field or gain the respect of the coaches and fellow officials by working great games. Just join an association that you are happy with it and stick with them. If you do not like that organization, join another one. It is like dating a girl, some dates are great and you want to continue the relationship. Other dates are horrible and you never want to see them again. Contact all of the organizations. Attend some of the meetings. Talk to the assignors and pick one (or two). I am not the one that is going to know when you get off of work or know how much time you need to spend at home with your wife and children.

Peace

brian43 Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:43pm

like JRutledge said, being a part of more than one might not be a bad idea. he mentioned dave alstadt, who is a part of FVB, does his AOA thing, and im sure he does other stuff as well. he was one of the instructors at a winter clinic i was at and hes a pretty sharp guy. he was assigned to the class A state finals as well i believe.

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brian43
like JRutledge said, being a part of more than one might not be a bad idea. he mentioned dave alstadt, who is a part of FVB, does his AOA thing, and im sure he does other stuff as well. he was one of the instructors at a winter clinic i was at and hes a pretty sharp guy. he was assigned to the class A state finals as well i believe.

Bob Copus is and AOA and UMPS guy. He was the President before Dave. I was the Vice-President when Bob was at that position. Bob recieved a Class AA State Finals. Bob Jenkins is an AOA, FVB and UMPS guy. He has done multiple Sectionals and is a moderator here. Bob J. is currently our Vice President. Tim Kiefer who is the webmaster of the AOA and IACAO and worked with me at the JUCO All-Star game (in the middle of the picture) and is an AOA and UMPS member. He recieved his first playoff game this year as well. And finally Dave Alstadt is a IHSA Baseball Clinician and a D1 Umpire. And the AOA is one of the few organizations that do not assign anything league and we like it that way. We just want to teach and anyone is welcome to join. So being a member of more than one organization is rather common.

Find a group you like, and pay the dues. It really is not that difficult to figure out. ;)

Peace

brian43 Thu Jun 17, 2004 01:02pm

well said, very well said.

before the thread gets back to useless bickering, maybe it should be closed.

FVB is good, UMPS is good, ice cream is good, the cubs are good. its all good.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 02:04pm

#1 for a reason, no one like Rut

Bob Copus is and AOA and UMPS guy. He was the President before Dave.

He gets his baseball schedule from UMPS, though.

Bob Jenkins is an AOA, FVB and UMPS guy. He has done multiple Sectionals and is a moderator here. Bob J. is currently our Vice President.

Believe it or not, I've worked with him. He's a pretty good umpire.

Tim Kiefer who is the webmaster of the AOA and IACAO and worked with me at the JUCO All-Star game (in the middle of the picture) and is an AOA and UMPS member. He recieved his first playoff game this year as well.

Does AOA assign Tim's high school baseball games?

And finally Dave Alstadt is a IHSA Baseball Clinician and a D1 Umpire.
Another good guy and pretty good umpire. Doe she get his games from FVB or AOA? Did you read the post where FVB9 told you to shut up? Apparently he doesn't need or want your help with FVB.

So, I guess the bottom line is what can my organization do for me that I can't do myself? The Chicago area has conferences that contract for all of their schools in that particular sport. Since these conferences only work with 2 or three associations, you need to find one that is convenient to where you live and work, gives you the best games for your ability and provides the support you'll need to get recognized. FVB does this well for the far Northwest suburbs. UMPS does it very well in the near north and western suburbs. Since we also handle a few City schools, we have a pretty large area of dominance.
To Jurassic Ump: Recruiting and retention is what association do. If you have never sat on a Board and had the responsibility of procuring new officials because more schools want your group, then you wouldn't understand. UMPS is the biggest, oldest and most accomplished umpires group in Illinois. Our reputation for producing the best involves turning over every stone looking for the next diamond. It also involves reminding others of why we have a better product. If that disturbs you, then you shouldn't watch TV for the next few months. The election will probably kill you.

Find a group you like, and pay the dues. It really is not that difficult to figure out.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 17, 2004 02:59pm

Re: #1 for a reason, no one like Rut

Quote:

To Jurassic Ump: Recruiting and retention is what association do. If you have never sat on a Board and had the responsibility of procuring new officials because more schools want your group, then you wouldn't understand. UMPS is the biggest, oldest and most accomplished umpires group in Illinois. Our reputation for producing the best involves turning over every stone looking for the next diamond. It also involves reminding others of why we have a better product. If that disturbs you, then you shouldn't watch TV for the next few months. The election will probably kill you.

Well, WBC, I just mighta had a little experience in recruiting, training, assigning, retention, etc. in other sports over the years. Not that anyone here basically gives a sh*t anyway. It certainly doesn't make my opinion of any greater validity or any less valid than anybody else that posts here. However, I still would never dream of trying to push my own association while I was simultaneously flaming or denigrating other associations. Or members of those other associations either. I just personally find it very unprofessional for any official in any sport to run down other officials' groups, especially competing ones. We get enough crap from coaches and fans without having to worry about turning our back on one of our so-called "own".

All I gave you was my opinion. Obviously you don't agree with it. And equally obviously "professionalism" isn't really a concern of yours either. That's fine. I'm certainly not representing my opinion as actually being "fact". I was kinda wondering why you are so adamantly representing YOUR opinion as being fact though. I think that I got my answer. Carry on with what you were doing. I won't bother you again.

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:20pm

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Well, WBC, I just mighta had a little experience in recruiting, training, assigning, retention, etc. in other sports over the years. Not that anyone here basically gives a sh*t anyway. It certainly doesn't make my opinion of any greater validity or any less valid than anybody else that posts here. However, I still would never dream of trying to push my own association while I was simultaneously flaming or denigrating other associations. Or members of those other associations either. I just personally find it very unprofessional for any official in any sport to run down other officials' groups, especially competing ones. We get enough crap from coaches and fans without having to worry about turning our back on one of our so-called "own".

All I gave you was my opinion. Obviously you don't agree with it. And equally obviously "professionalism" isn't really a concern of yours either. That's fine. I'm certainly not representing my opinion as actually being "fact". I was kinda wondering why you are so adamantly representing YOUR opinion as being fact though. I think that I got my answer. Carry on with what you were doing. I won't bother you again.

Very well said JR. Very well said!!!

Peace

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:21pm

Why are you compelled to answer a question posed DIRECTLY to someone else?

Secondly, I promote my group because that is called recruiting. You promote AOA and IACAO (Lord knows, you include links every chance you get). So, if I have this right, it's okay for you to promote your affiliations, but I can't.

You commented that there is a problem with conferences wanting one assignor to deal with instead of using independents or mixing associations. Why is that a problem? Because you can't get those schools, maybe. Our AD's required it, they don't have the time or energy to make the hundreds of phone calls when it rains. (Not a problem in most every other sport!) They want continuity and accountability. I guess we must be doing it well, because they keep coming back.

Don't give me any B.S. about not being biased against my group, either. Several times you've posted about FVB and AOA when a rookie has a question. You said your not affiliated with them, yet you've accepted games from Jeff. So is that a lie? By the way, you never answered the question...does AOA assign high school baseball games? Is that how you can claim that Tim Kiefer and Bob Copas are AOA first - because of their heavy AOA schedules?

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:30pm

Not so fast Jurassic Referee...

However, I still would never dream of trying to push my own association while I was simultaneously flaming or denigrating other associations. Or members of those other associations either.

What kind of PollyAnna world do you live in? Only say good things when speaking of others? Only promote your group through positive statements?

I just personally find it very unprofessional for any official in any sport to run down other officials' groups, especially competing ones. We get enough crap from coaches and fans without having to worry about turning our back on one of our so-called "own".

As unprofessional as, say, ripping another official for having an opinion. Do as I say, not as I do. Maybe you're just intolerant of others that disagree with your opinion.

I was kinda wondering why you are so adamantly representing YOUR opinion as being fact though.

Wow, backing up my opinions with facts. Like our history or current accomplishments or directing someone to my website or pointing out that if you live in Evanston, the closest FVB game is over thirty miles away - stuff like that???

I won't bother you again.
Stop teasing.

brian43 Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:53pm

Quote:

Secondly, I promote my group because that is called recruiting. You promote AOA and IACAO (Lord knows, you include links every chance you get). So, if I have this right, it's okay for you to promote your affiliations, but I can't.
its called a signature. put the UMPS link in your sig and it will show up on every post and thousands of people will see it daily.

free advertising/recruiting and all you have to do is post.

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 04:09pm

Quote:

Why are you compelled to answer a question posed DIRECTLY to someone else?

I do not just belong to the AOA, FVFO, COA and Far West Basketball Officials Member. I also belong to FVB, but just recently. I post the link to the AOA because it is a very good and interactive site. There is always new information put on that site. The COA does not have a very good site right now, but that is being worked on. IACAO is promoted by all thosse organizations I mentioned. And really the best site to learn about all groups. I just might post the other links if it makes you happy. ;) Also, at the IACAO website, there are links to all groups that have a website and contact information to all individuals associated with those groups.

Quote:

You commented that there is a problem with conferences wanting one assignor to deal with instead of using independents or mixing associations. Why is that a problem? Because you can't get those schools, maybe.

It is a problem because of people like you. All you seem to be worried about is what school you belong to your group, rather than giving the games to people that want to work the conference. It works well in the many other sports. They hire the best at all levels, not just people from one organization.

And on a personal note, I try not to do as much traveling all over the area for baseball. It is not an issue to do that once a week during the football season or just on the weekends. It is also quite another thing to have to get to a site at 7:00 or 7:30 during the football and basketball seasons. I mainly work a conference that has no ties to any association and it works out well for me. Someone needs to realize that everyone does not have your priorities.

Quote:

Because you can't get those schools, maybe. Our AD's required it, they don't have the time or energy to make the hundreds of phone calls when it rains. (Not a problem in most every other sport!) They want continuity and accountability. I guess we must be doing it well, because they keep coming back.
No, they can hire an assignor like they do in every other sport and the assignor can hire who they want to. Not hire people based on who pays dues to a particular organization. Hell, the football assignor work very well together in our area and hire folks from all over the area.

Quote:

Don't give me any B.S. about not being biased against my group, either. Several times you've posted about FVB and AOA when a rookie has a question. You said your not affiliated with them, yet you've accepted games from Jeff. So is that a lie?
I have problems with the system and have been in IACAO meetings and said so. I have also been at AOA meetings and said so. I have worked for the past 3 years some games for the assignor of FVB. I just decided to join this year. Why, because a few of the schools are right in the area in which I live. But I had over 40 games a year not being a member of your group or FVB. I was just an AOA member.

Quote:

By the way, you never answered the question...does AOA assign high school baseball games? Is that how you can claim that Tim Kiefer and Bob Copas are AOA first - because of their heavy AOA schedules?
No. We do not want to assign games. That is not the mission of our group and is the reason the AOA and many changed our mission statement to not put ourselves in legal issues like another group in our area. And the AOA was not the only one that did that. They did it in the COA and we have even backed off as FVFO members to not tie ourselves to a conference. And I will not mention names, but there are individuals that work for UMPS, but work other games as well. That is there choice and a personal decision.

You come here are run your mouth so much, but it is very clear you are clueless about how assigning is done in other sports. Because I work in the very same conferences that UMPS assigns and the assignors do not assign by association. They assign them by crews or who attends the camps to get evaluated. It works well in other sports, why is this a problem in baseball?

Peace

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 17, 2004 04:35pm

Quote:

What kind of PollyAnna world do you live in? Only say good things when speaking of others? Only promote your group through positive statements?

Yeah, I do try to stay positive of ALL officials' groups in all sports, while also recognizing that ALL officials' groups are composed of good, average, and maybe some other officials that really shouldn't be there. I also don't believe in back-stabbing as a means of promoting any one particular group over another group. Call me Pollyanna for that if you want to. Kind of a compliment really, I think. But as I said before, that's just my opinion, and my opinion only. I don't have any axe to really grind with anyone in this particular argument, being hundreds of miles away from Chicago and not knowing any of the local antagonists. I was just kinda surprised to see your almost unique way of promoting your group over others. Please carry on promoting your group as you see fit.

Btw, not that you are probably interested, but I also never base my opinion of any group on the actions of any one particular member of that group either.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jun 17, 2004 04:50pm

Shhhhhhhhh

If you had any pride you would have stopped long ago.

No. We do not want to assign games.
Finally...you kept claiming that Tim and Dave and Bob were members of your group. But yur group doesn't assign highschool baseball games. So, when UMPS claims to have the best umpires, our members actually work the games they are assigned.

You might want to run thsi by Alstadt since you don't have a clue legally. Assignors don't "hire" officials. In Illinois, as in many other states, officials are independent contractors. If someone "hires" someone, they begin and employer/employee relationship and Workmen's Comp and taxation issues enter the equation. So, I guess I do understand it a little better than you.

You come here are run your mouth so much, but it is very clear you are clueless about how assigning is done in other sports. Because I work in the very same conferences that UMPS assigns and the assignors do not assign by association. They assign them by crews or who attends the camps to get evaluated. It works well in other sports, why is this a problem in baseball?

who's running his mouth now? Baseball is a completely different animal by design. The schools in our area formed a consortium (NISOC) and set the ground rules for dealing with assignors and associations. Because UMPS is so big, we are able to lobby for things that you can't. The conferences and schools sign our contract, we don't sign theirs! Our assignors work for us and get paid by our group, not the school or conference. They handle all of the rescheduling issues, not the school. Baseball is a non-revenue producing sport (so they claim) and treat the assigning differently. Basketball games rarely get cancelled due to weather, football has 12 games a year and plays through most everything. These ADs recognized the headache that scheduling and rescheduling 32 games can be. In the Chicgao area, if your talented and want them, you have a game every day. Now, if we operated like other sports and cancelled a game that they want rescheduled for tomorrow - but wait, I already have a game tomorrow, they're screwed. having one assignor handling both area conferences assures that those snafus don't occur. No phone trees or email begging. He knows who is playing and who is available...end of question. I'm not sure, did I answer all of your assigning questions. BTW, we are talking baseball here.

JRutledge Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:08pm

You would know.

Quote:

You might want to run thsi by Alstadt since you don't have a clue legally. Assignors don't "hire" officials. In Illinois, as in many other states, officials are independent contractors. If someone "hires" someone, they begin and employer/employee relationship and Workmen's Comp and taxation issues enter the equation. So, I guess I do understand it a little better than you.
Yes assignor hire officials. They hire them to do a specific job. If I want someone to do a project on my house, I hire them to do that job. Same thing as officiating. :rolleyes:

Quote:

who's running his mouth now? Baseball is a completely different animal by design. The schools in our area formed a consortium (NISOC) and set the ground rules for dealing with assignors and associations.
I do not care what the reasoning is, it should not be that way. I do agree that it is a different animal. Of course it is when the State Finals are not even shown live. Of course it is a different animal.

Quote:

Because UMPS is so big, we are able to lobby for things that you can't. The conferences and schools sign our contract, we don't sign theirs! Our assignors work for us and get paid by our group, not the school or conference.
Well every other level of umpiring and officiating pays an assignor to assign the games. So why is High School Baseball so different in our area?

Quote:

They handle all of the rescheduling issues, not the school. Baseball is a non-revenue producing sport (so they claim) and treat the assigning differently.

So is volleyball, but they go thru assignors.

Quote:

Basketball games rarely get cancelled due to weather, football has 12 games a year and plays through most everything.

Actually, it is nine. But it was a nice try.

Quote:

These ADs recognized the headache that scheduling and rescheduling 32 games can be.

It goes to show how little you know about sports in our state. Who do you think does all the assigning and rescheduling and filling spots? It is not the school at any of these school in the Chicago area.

Quote:

In the Chicgao area, if your talented and want them, you have a game every day. Now, if we operated like other sports and cancelled a game that they want rescheduled for tomorrow - but wait, I already have a game tomorrow, they're screwed.

Again, more evidence you know little about how other sports work.

Quote:

having one assignor handling both area conferences assures that those snafus don't occur. No phone trees or email begging. He knows who is playing and who is available...end of question. I'm not sure, did I answer all of your assigning questions. BTW, we are talking baseball here.
We are and we are not. Because everything you just said is exactly what goes on in Football, Basketball or Volleyball. Schools do not assign reschedules (they happen in those sports more than you think). ADs are not assigning the many officiating changes that happen. In all cases I know of, that is the assignor. The assignor might not do it if an officials gives him a good replacement. But the assignor are the ones that have to replace the game ultimately. The schools play no direct part in that.

Again, you prove to be just completely unprofessional. You have spent the past few months trying to pump up your organization. You have been called on it by a completely uninterested party. The poster just wanted to know information about associations. He can tell you that I told him to contact all of them and figure out who was the best to join. Of course I gave information about my group, but I also told him to look at your organization too. There are good and bad people in all of them. It is for each individual to figure out for themselves what that is.

Peace

GarthB Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:09am

Would you guys please take this back to McGriff's, where it fits so much better.

Thank you.

His High Holiness Fri Jun 18, 2004 07:03am

They can't

Quote:

Originally posted by GarthB
Would you guys please take this back to McGriff's, where it fits so much better.

Thank you.

GarthB;

McGriffs does not appear to be working. I tried making a post in reply to Rich and was rejected. I don't see any posts since early yesterday afternoon, so it appears to be a problem for everyone. It's kind of like Microsoft. Brand new software that does more and works less.

I agree with you, however. The war between Chicago umpires has gotten out of hand. I'm glad I am not umpiring there. It makes one nostalgic for the buttsnuffler wars of old.

So, heres to you, KING OF THE SNUFFLERS :D

Peter

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:08am

HHH & G, et al

Peter and Garth,

I will stop discussing the association rivalry in Chicago

It seems that logic, reason and fact cannot deter Jeff Rutledge from proving what everyone keeps saying about him. As I have only been on this Board for the last year, I was unaware that trying to reason with him would be futile.

My apologies for the attempt.

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:16am

that post is glowing with sarcasm

His High Holiness Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:29am

Re: HHH & G, et al

Quote:

Peter and Garth,

It seems that logic, reason and fact cannot deter Jeff Rutledge from proving what everyone keeps saying about him. As I have only been on this Board for the last year, I was unaware that trying to reason with him would be futile.

My apologies for the attempt.

By all means, don't stop with that. You will never convince him of anything but it's great entertainment to watch.

Peter

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 09:11am

Thank you

Mr. Curtin (brian 43),

I think you mean "dripping" with sarcasm.

But, thank you, none the less.

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 09:43am

you really do take advantage of knowing your friend's password to the FVB site dont you?

dripping, glowing, sopping, saturated, etc. theres many words i could have used.

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:51am

No password needed, your the only Brian on their Roster.

Oh, that and the fact that you guys feel compelled to wear your numbers on your shirt sleeve, in violation of the IHSA uniform code.

Sometimes, this is too easy.

JRutledge Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:00pm

We know you are.

Quote:

Oh, that and the fact that you guys feel compelled to wear your numbers on your shirt sleeve, in violation of the IHSA uniform code.

There are other games that members can do that are not associated with the IHSA. But you knew that right? :rolleyes:

Peace

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:16pm

No...

Why would you have an IHSA patch on a baseball umpire's shirt that has numbers?

1) You are too cheap to buy a second shirt for doing non-IHSA baseball.

2) You don't care how it looks.

3) Yu are trying to show up a partner that doesn't belong to your group.

There might be another reason or two, but when I see a guy walk on a high school field (in Illinois) with numbers, I laugh. And don't forget up until last year, the left sleeve had teh IHSA Official's insignis and the right sleeve had the Sportsmanship patch. Those who had numbers on their right sleeve should not be wondering why they did not get playoff assignments when they couldn't adhere to policy.

JRutledge Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:30pm

Re: No...

Quote:

There might be another reason or two, but when I see a guy walk on a high school field (in Illinois) with numbers, I laugh. And don't forget up until last year, the left sleeve had teh IHSA Official's insignis and the right sleeve had the Sportsmanship patch. Those who had numbers on their right sleeve should not be wondering why they did not get playoff assignments when they couldn't adhere to policy.

I cannot speak for everyone and I will not. But I did not see anyone wear numbers on a shirt, unless it was a college game. If I saw any numbers on the shirt during a HS game, it was not on a member of that organization. And one of those individuals got a Sectional this year.

But I forgot, you are all knowing. :rolleyes:

Peace

WindyCityBlue Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45pm

Just the facts

Uh, oh...
I know of several guys wearing their numbers during Sectionals and know of at least two that sported them in a Super-Sectional. They did have IHSA caps, though, so they had that going for them.

The best part...I know that one IHSA evaluator was present for the Sectional. Two evaluators were at their Super.

P.S. Did we really agree on how to handle chirping from the bench?

Cubbies87 Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:17pm

The UMPS patch

Not to cause any more trouble, but which IHSA uniform code policy is being violated by wearing numbers as long as you have the IHSA patch displayed 2-3" below the left shoulder line? Along those lines, wouldn't wearing the two UMPS patches I was provided with on the left breast pocket also be a violation of IHSA uniform code? However, I will be the first to admit that I'm new to both IHSA and UMPS and may not know the fine print of either.

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:28pm

Quote:

yes that is a violation, but i do not have numbers on any of my shirts (if that was directed at me). the 43 in my name is my number from playing baseball in college.

[Edited by brian43 on Jun 18th, 2004 at 02:36 PM]

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:33pm

Re: Re: No...

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

I cannot speak for everyone and I will not. But I did not see anyone wear numbers on a shirt, unless it was a college game. If I saw any numbers on the shirt during a HS game, it was not on a member of that organization. And one of those individuals got a Sectional this year.

But I forgot, you are all knowing. :rolleyes:

Peace

i saw several FVB members work games at Waubonsie Valley HS that had numbers on their sleeves. i saw this at the varsity, sophomore, and freshman levels because i have 3 brothers that go there, one at each level.

im still a proud FVB member and if some people wear numbers on their shirts, thats their deal.

[Edited by brian43 on Jun 18th, 2004 at 02:35 PM]

JRutledge Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:39pm

Re: Re: Re: No...

Quote:

i saw several FVB members work games at Waubonsie Valley HS that had numbers on their sleeves. i saw this at the varsity, sophomore, and freshman levels because i have 3 brothers that go there, one at each level.

I understand. I did not say that no one ever did it. I am just saying that I did not personally witness it. I have seen guys with the numbers that were not FVB members (guys in the city for example). I do not wear them either. I will not wear them during HS games. I just got a number and will only wear it during college games. But it is not like any one group has the license on wearing things they are not suppose to. I have seen guys not wear patches, wear the wrong color shirts or try to. I even worked with a guy that did not wear a regular shirt at all. He just wore a umpire undershirt that was blue. I have seen it all. There is a reason that some guys get respect and other guys do not. The way you look has a lot to do with that.

Peace

brian43 Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:45pm

yeah i know what you mean. no matter what group you look at, theres going to be someone trying to avoid a policy and when someone sees that they try to tag the entire group.

is this ever going to end?

JRutledge Fri Jun 18, 2004 01:47pm

Quote:

yeah i know what you mean. no matter what group you look at, theres going to be someone trying to avoid a policy and when someone sees that they try to tag the entire group.

is this ever going to end?

Probably not. ;)

Peace

WindyCityBlue Mon Jun 21, 2004 01:28pm

Uniform question

Cubbies87/Larry...
I just got back from watching some indcredible games at the CWS and saw your post -

Not to cause any more trouble, but which IHSA uniform code policy is being violated by wearing numbers as long as you have the IHSA patch displayed 2-3" below the left shoulder line?

IHSA OFFICIALS UNIFORM FOR BASEBALL. On your left sleeve you MUST have the IHSA Official patch - you are allowed to wear the patch denoting “State Final Official” under it if you’ve earned it. On the right sleeve you are allowed to wear the American flag (the one that looks backward, but is correct when displayed on the right). You are not required to wear the flag.

Along those lines, wouldn't wearing the two UMPS patches I was provided with on the left breast pocket also be a violation of IHSA uniform code?

NO - there is no requirement for what is on the pocket during regular seaosn contests.
However, for IHSA Championship Series Assignments (Playoffs), you are asked to wear an IHSA hat and no association patches. You will never see an association patch worn by one of the umpires at the State Finals.

However, I will be the first to admit that I'm new to both IHSA and UMPS and may not know the fine print of either.

It’s okay and welcome to UMPS. The reason that the IHSA doesn’t like numbers, is that there is no central registry and officials can and do work with colleagues from all over. I once worked with two guys that each wore the #5. They were from different organizations - one wore a red #5 and the other was white.
I was told that the crew working the Super-Sectional at DeKalb were wearing their IHSA shirts with their numbers on the right sleeve. The funniest part was that the IHSA Executive Assistant in charge of baseball was there along with another evaluator. Want to bet that they took notice?