The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Angry

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to come here. Of course
there often are interesting and thought-provoking discussions.But quite often there is so much bickering,name-calling,and finger-pointing it isn't worth the trouble.
The "I'm the best umpire in the world" crowd finds more
to criticize about than to offer helpful tips or advice to those who are looking for it.
Not everyone here is working pro or college ball,and likely many aren't even doing Fed games.that being said,I feel some posters should remember that they didn't start their careers in college ball,and that LL or other youth program umpires take their assignments just as seriously.
There are a few guys posting here that just seem to look for a reason to "puff out" their chests,and pretend they never made a mistake.Well I for one have missed calls,and I feel quite sure I will miss more.
Lighten up,and enjoy the greatest game on earth.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm thankful for this board. Haven't posted but have done lots and lots of reading on it. I also frequent Eteamz. Umpduck, while i can see where you're coming from, take a few moments to visit the eteamz site and you will see quite a bit more than you do here.

Josh
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder why I come here also, there is so much odor being spread, it's incredible. But sometimes I learn something, either from the posts, or because I have to look something up to respond to a post, so I keep coming back. And being an umpire, I can't help but post.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'd guess you've never visited McGriffs
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

One site is enough. My knees already hurt, I ain't looking for more pain.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 03:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I never read all posts.

You have to take this site or any site for what it is worth. It is the internet and anyone can post anything and claim anything. I know I would not date over the internet, so I am not going to take advice from people over the internet either without some kind of personal filter. This is a great place on many levels, but is terrible on others.

I have always posted my name because I would like to be identified offline as well as on. I want people to know this is who I am and this is what I stand for. Unfortunately there are many that will never do that and will do that and can do nothing but name call and puff out their chests. And I have been approached by many officials/umpires that love my posts and love the things I say here and in person.

You have to take this site for what it is worth. It is a just one of many resources you can use. Never go away from your mentors, you association meetings or clinics because this place is here. This is a wonderful place to bounce off situations and plays, but I would do the very same things with the people you work with and know outside of the internet. You will get ideas to think about and you will see ways you never want to handle.

The internet is the same place you can watch an man being beheaded by terrioist, but the very same place where people can go to communicate with others and learn about anything imaginable. No matter where you go, there is always going to be good with the bad. Take what is good, throw out or ignore what you feel is bad. I do it all the time and have been doing it for years.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11

there often are interesting and thought-provoking discussions.But quite often there is so much bickering,name-calling,and finger-pointing it isn't worth the trouble.
to criticize about than to offer helpful tips or advice to those who are looking for it.
Not everyone here is working pro or college ball,and likely many aren't even doing Fed games.that being said,I feel some posters should remember that they didn't start their careers in college ball,and that LL or other youth program umpires take their assignments just as seriously.
There are a few guys posting here that just seem to look for a reason to "puff out" their chests,and pretend they never made a mistake.Well I for one have missed calls,and I feel quite sure I will miss more.
Lighten up,and enjoy the greatest game on earth.
Try this experiment: Confine your internet activity to gmcgriff.com/refonline for just one week. And then come back here and we'll talk about "bickering, name-calling and finger-pointing."

Official Forum ain't perfect, but it is a huge step up from McGripes, Sleazeteams and U(seless)RC.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by umpduck11

What I find amazing to use a Papa C expression is that most who post here are umpires and should be used to redicule, after all it's part of the job. We learn to basically ignore comments from the Fans, and tools to use in dealing with coaches / players, yet when some come to his Board, IMO are way to sensitive.

When you post something especially if you want opinions, is just like umpiring a game. You will receive all sorts of replys. My advice just like on the ball field is to ignore those that you do not like and read the ones which offer you good sound advice. Defending yourself, just like trying to defend your call on the ball field is counter productive.

Another paradox about posting is that a poster gives a sitch, explains his /her call and asks if the call was correct. When they receive a response which is contradictory to their call, then (here's the paradox) they start defending their ORIGINAL call. If that's the case then why post at all.

Lastly, except in some cases, you do not KNOW most of the posters from Adam so keep that in mind. There's plenty of useful information.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Lastly, except in some cases, you do not KNOW most of the posters from Adam so keep that in mind.
I'm Adam. Nice to meet you.

-- Adam Kalsey
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 04:38am
In Memoriam

Cool back and forth

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Lastly, except in some cases, you do not KNOW most of the posters from Adam so keep that in mind.
I'm Adam. Nice to meet you.

-- Adam Kalsey
MadamImadaM