Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
bob,
I understand there will be variation, but could you approximate a range of measurement, for me, of the height distance between your chin/eyes to top of catchers' helmet, or is it all about the plate?
Thanks,
mick
Based on a rough measurement I just did, my eyes are 52" above the ground.

Of course, I did the measurement in my den, with my sneakers on. If my plate shoes have thicker soles, that will raise my eyes a bit.

Old Sat May 22, 2004, 10:21pm
In Memoriam

What the Hey !!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
bob,
I understand there will be variation, but could you approximate a range of measurement, for me, of the height distance between your chin/eyes to top of catchers' helmet, or is it all about the plate?
Thanks,
mick
Based on a rough measurement I just did, my eyes are 52" above the ground.

Of course, I did the measurement in my den, with my sneakers on. If my plate shoes have thicker soles, that will raise my eyes a bit.

Geez! Ya mean you didn't invite a catcher over justa help me out?

Thank ya, kindly! That'll help me with my spread and feeling for the stance. "Preciate it!
mick
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Being positioned in the same place for every pitch makes more sense to me. But moving with the catcher was what I was taught, and I saw, and still see, the MLB guys doing.

I don't know where you were taught, but I don't believe any proschool, pro ump or serious clinician ever taught this. The only time one moves because of the catcher is if he takes the slot away. If he moves outside, you stay right where you are.

Do some MLB umpires move? Probably. Do physicians with 20 years experience still do everything the way they learned in med school? I haven't finished med school yet, nor am I an MLB umpire. My evaluator still expect me to do it right.

The GD stance, as I understand Carl's description, is partly based off the distance from the catcher. This seems to be a logical and essential element. I don't understand how one can make such a serious alteration in a "system" without affecting the "system".
The GD system is predicated on two principles: (1) It is a good thing to be set before the pitcher releases the pitch; and (2) It is a good thing to see the pitch from about the same position every time.

You can't do that if you slip/slide with the catcher. That two-step is a bad thing.

The point: The catcher's positioning should have NOTHING to do with where you set up. That's entirely governed by the position of the BATTER. If he crowds the plate too much or hangs his arms high and over the plate, he may obstruct your sight of the release point.

So you move. You move not because of the GD system; you move because it is a good thing to track the pitch from the hand to the mitt. That creates good timing, no tunnel vision, and promotes happiness, well-being, and the American way of life.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 06:34am
In Memoriam

cute.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
So you move. You move not because of the GD system; you move because it is a good thing to track the pitch from the hand to the mitt. That creates good timing, no tunnel vision, and promotes happiness, well-being, and the American way of life.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Does the age level of the game you're calling have any affect on the use of the GD stance? I assume many of you do HS and/or Col.
How does it work with Pony-Bronco-Mustang??
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
Does the age level of the game you're calling have any affect on the use of the GD stance? I assume many of you do HS and/or Col.
How does it work with Pony-Bronco-Mustang??
Catchers are smaller.
Pitchers are wilder.
Balls are slower.
Equipment gets used more.

View of the plate remains the same.