The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

If a player is ejected during a live-ball situation, is he required to continue his baserunning responsibilities before leaving play? Does the ejection create a defacto dead ball?

What prompted this was Albert Pujols's ejection after a walk. They didn't show if he made it to 1B - but I was wondering if he did. This could happen in many different circumstances, and I'm curious how you'd rule. Consider in your responses only cases where the player is not also ruled OUT for whatever he did to get ejected. What if, in this case, the ball had gotten away. Could runners advance? Could Pujols try for 2B? etc.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

It would be a delayed dead ball sistuation. If a player does something to be ejected in the middle of playing action, the ejection will occour at the end of playing action. So he gets to run all is bases, and then when no one is trying to advance, call time and eject the guy.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
What prompted this was Albert Pujols's ejection after a walk. They didn't show if he made it to 1B - but I was wondering if he did. This could happen in many different circumstances, and I'm curious how you'd rule. Consider in your responses only cases where the player is not also ruled OUT for whatever he did to get ejected. What if, in this case, the ball had gotten away. Could runners advance? Could Pujols try for 2B? etc. [/B]
I don't know what happened here, but assuming the ball was alive, wouldn't Pujols be OBLIGATED to go to first? If he did not, wouldn't he have to be called out for abandonment?

Of course, such silly legalism would/should probably not be permitted at the major league level. What should we do if this happens in our high school or legion games (heaven forbid)? I would think that we could simply wait until we can call time, then announce the ejection.

P-Sz
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski

Of course, such silly legalism would/should probably not be permitted at the major league level. What should we do if this happens in our high school or legion games (heaven forbid)? I would think that we could simply wait until we can call time, then announce the ejection.

P-Sz
I don't know what the rule reference is, but the rule book says the offender will be ejected at the end of playing action.

[Edited by LDUB on May 3rd, 2004 at 04:03 PM]
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

When Pujols was ejected, a pinch runner was sent in to 1B. There was no need for Albert to take the base, then leave the game.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game. Albert was ejectd by Angel Hernandez about 5 steps down the first base line after getting ball four. Albert was standing at first when he realized he was ejected. so I don't know if he had to go all the way to first, but he did get there.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see it. What was he ejected for? Seems funny to be ejected on a walk?
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

The count was 3-1. Albert takes the pitch. He thinks it is a ball, but it is called a strike. Now 3-2. Pitch is ball. He says something to the umpire, as he was on his way to first, about the 3-1 pitch. Guess it must have been bad enough to get ejected.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
When Pujols was ejected, a pinch runner was sent in to 1B. There was no need for Albert to take the base, then leave the game.
Why not? There can be no substitution until the ball becomes dead. Now certainly major league umpires will often call time before a walked BR reaches first base, but that is always when it is obvous that the BR is going to first. Here, if indeed the ball was alive, Pujols would be obligated to advance to first base or be called out for abandonment (desertion), since he is still in the game until the end of playing action.

Right? Where's the flaw in that logic?

P-Sz
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Why not? There can be no substitution until the ball becomes dead. Now certainly major league umpires will often call time before a walked BR reaches first base, but that is always when it is obvous that the BR is going to first. Here, if indeed the ball was alive, Pujols would be obligated to advance to first base or be called out for abandonment (desertion), since he is still in the game until the end of playing action.

Right? Where's the flaw in that logic?

P-Sz
The flaw is that it is unnecessarily picky. You've just ejected a player -- are you going to now tell him to walk down to first base?

No, you're going to put his replacement on first base and start the game.

--Rich
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Right, that's what I was thinking. It would be quite absurd.

P-Sz
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Let's assume Pujols had watch strike 3 go by (no swing) and subsequently the ball was uncought and roles to the backstop. Pujols gives the ump a f-bomb and then realizes he can run. I think that is the sitch the question was getting at and as we've said let him run then toss'em.

My question is what if a player does something really really offensive, ie BR punches the first baseman as he rounds first with no play (otherwise interference and call him out and eject). Or even something that requires immediate interjection such as the BR has first baseman in a headlock and is pounding him while R1, R2, and R3 are all scoring on a ball rolling around in the outfield corner. How is the BR's placement on the bases handled. He hasn't done anything to be out by rule, and most likely the defense is going to be more worried about breaking up the fight than making an out. Assuming the BR hasn't left the basepath or abandoned his responsibilty as a baserunner where do you put him (or rather his eventual replacement).
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I say you leave him at first. If he wants to stop trying to advance to put first baseman in a headlock, that is his fault. You should not have to give him extra bases.