The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 12:46pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
What LL is really about...

This is LL, we should be aware of the parents. LL is for learning not winning. Winning is secondary unless you are in the World Series. LL is for teaching CHILDREN how to be upstanding and fair young men and women, how to be gratious in defeat and humble in victory. If a parent of fan is exhibiting unacceptable behavior they need to be taken care of immediately, they should know better. And the other parents should tell them to grow up or they are just as bad.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate all the good comment. I understand the point about not allowing the coach to 'manipulate' the sit by constantly complaining about the pitcher's mannerisms, but I also see the learning point for the player in that, since he would be called for a balk sometime in future (if he continued to pitch as he got older) for doing that, then LL was a good place/time to get out of the habit of putting his pitching hand to his mouth while on the rubber. From time to time I have corrected players at the plate for *nearly* doing illegal things (foot out of the box, etc) before they actually drew a penalty, reasoning that LL is the place to learn how to do it right more than ring kids up right and left....now if they do it anyway after a warning, thats a different story.

Ive been involved in LL in my town for about 5 years and this is actually the first time Ive seen a spec/parent this unruly, so hopefully it was an isolated event. It did stick in my mind enough that I asked for input from your experiences, and I appreciate the feedback.

Old Mon May 10, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Little League is about winning

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
This is LL, we should be aware of the parents. LL is for learning not winning. Winning is secondary unless you are in the World Series. LL is for teaching CHILDREN how to be upstanding and fair young men and women, how to be gratious in defeat and humble in victory.
You are very confused. Let me explain to you what LL is about.

1. LL is about parents living out their dreams through their children.

2. LL is about coaches living out their dreams of greatness through the kids. Winning is the primary goal so that the coach can be selected for the AllStar team and have a shot at the LLWS. Why else would the coach with the best record be selected for the AllStar team?

3. LL is about learning how to cheat and not get caught. That is very useful in preparing for the SAT's and other college admission obstacle courses. The best cheaters get to be the executives of large corporations.

4. LL is about learning the nasty lessons of life such as losing is only for inferior human beings and losers deserve to be humiliated.

5. LL is about learning to disrespect umpires and other authority figures.

What planet are you from anyway that you don't know the true goals of LL? Sounds like you believe that communist propaganda that LL puts out.

Peter
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 03:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I don't do LL, never have. There is not much LL in my area. I know very little about LL rules. And thank goodness I don't, if LL does not expect a manager to have some control over his fans.
Fans do not belong to a team or a manager. If they did, then I would like to dress in the opponent's colors and sit on their side in order to get that coach in trouble.

ALL fans, from BOTH sides, belong to game management. If that's the home coach, great. If that's a neutral party, great. But a coach is not responsible just based on which team a fan is rooting for.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, someone finally echoes me.

COACHES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PARENTS.

Coaches have enough to worry about on the field, and according to rule 3.14 or 3.15 or something..... players, coaches, etc are not to leave the field of play during a game.

They put in the time and effort, and if a grown person cannot control themselves, then why is it the fault of the person that has put countless hours into helping the kids learn the game of baseball?

It is ludacris to toss a skipper for a parent that is out of control.

What if the parent is someone who just came to watch the game for fun? How do you know what side they belong to?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Little League is about winning

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness [/B]
You are very confused. Let me explain to you what LL is about.

1. LL is about parents living out their dreams through their children.

2. LL is about coaches living out their dreams of greatness through the kids. Winning is the primary goal so that the coach can be selected for the AllStar team and have a shot at the LLWS. Why else would the coach with the best record be selected for the AllStar team?

3. LL is about learning how to cheat and not get caught. That is very useful in preparing for the SAT's and other college admission obstacle courses. The best cheaters get to be the executives of large corporations.

4. LL is about learning the nasty lessons of life such as losing is only for inferior human beings and losers deserve to be humiliated.

5. LL is about learning to disrespect umpires and other authority figures.

What planet are you from anyway that you don't know the true goals of LL? Sounds like you believe that communist propaganda that LL puts out.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, up to number two your right. But besides that, you don't what your talking about. Since when do you want kids disrespecting authority figures, cheating on tests, and just playing to win and not having fun? If you haven't noticed, all the "big cheaters" in the "large corporations" have been arrested. The point of playing baseball is to have fun. Yes, it's great when you win, but the best part is getting out there and playing the game. -John
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I don't do LL, never have. There is not much LL in my area. I know very little about LL rules. And thank goodness I don't, if LL does not expect a manager to have some control over his fans.
Fans do not belong to a team or a manager. If they did, then I would like to dress in the opponent's colors and sit on their side in order to get that coach in trouble.

ALL fans, from BOTH sides, belong to game management. If that's the home coach, great. If that's a neutral party, great. But a coach is not responsible just based on which team a fan is rooting for.
I would never allow a parent or fan that was supposed to be chearing for our team to show his his a**, and they all knew it.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Little League is about winning

Quote:

Ok, up to number two your right. But besides that, you don't what your talking about. Since when do you want kids disrespecting authority figures, cheating on tests, and just playing to win and not having fun? If you haven't noticed, all the "big cheaters" in the "large corporations" have been arrested. The point of playing baseball is to have fun. Yes, it's great when you win, but the best part is getting out there and playing the game. -John
Well actually I think there's lots of merit in what Peter writes.

I especially find #5 to be very true in all summer ball.

Why else is the umpire always to blame for a close loss, but you never see the umpire mentioned when they win.

Just reading this board and see ing all of the comments about coaches (which most are from summer leagues) is enough to give merit to that statement.

If a coach has respect for the umpires, then his players do. When the coach has none, then the players will follow suit.

Thanks
David
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

David,

That is the best response I have ever read from you on this board.

After 8 years of umpiring I have chosen to give it up......my only reason for umpiring in the first place was because it would force me to fine tune my knowledge of the rules and I felt that umpiring would help me become a better coach, when my kids were old enough to play. Well, they're old enough now and on the top of my list as a coach is to teach the kids not only to have respect for the game but also respect for the umpires as well.

IMHO, I think every coach should be REQUIRED to umpire at least 5 high school games (at all levels) so they can see what it's like to make an instant decision on a close play, be the scape goat when a team loses, make a mistake, etc.

Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well let's have the coaches umpire 5 coach pitch, or 9-10 games before they mess up a HS game.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I owe my baseball life to little league. It was at this level that I learned the fundamentals of the game. Also, I learned a love for the game. I do not umpire LL, so I am not able to comment on your rules, but some of us ex-LLer's gained a lifelong appreciation for the game. I cherish my three years of LL and owe my LL coach a great deal.