View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Nope!

"Unless you are 7' tall, you are going to get blocked at times."

Completely incorrect statement.

If one assumes that you are working games played by shaving aged players catchers can only set up as close to the plate as the hitter wil allow. (i.e. if the hitter sets up on the back line of the batter's box the catcher is deeper, if the hitter is forward the inverse is true)

Now I am 6'0 . . . I have worked behind catchers that are large (not just tall but also heavy set) and small (short or thin) and never have I not been able to see the entire plate and dirt between the point and the catcher.

First, I suggest that you make sure you are only as low as you are when you place your hands on your knees . . . there is no reason when using the Davis to go any lower (you don't need to squat) if you do this you will now notice your head height is higher than what has been taught previous when using the heel-to-toe.

Second, work DEEPER -- I start out a full three feet back from the catcher and I don't care if he is deep or close himself -- I am always at least 3' back (this is critical, don't do 12" dont do 18" do the whole schmolie).

Third, make darn sure your nose is on the inside corner.

Now I have used the stance for almost two full years and I have NEVER had a problem of not being able to see the entire plate (and more).

Last point, if you have any problems WORK DEEPER -- the only way I saved my self when working behind a HUGE catcher the other day was I went an ADDITONAL 12" BACK

In closing, maybe the Davis stance isn't for you. I hae been able to turn five local umpires on to this change and they all rave about their performance -- it could be that just making a change has help their own concentration and that made them better.

I only know that my last two plate games have been great and my last plate game was the frist plate game in memory when neither dugout said one thing about a ball/strike call AND NOT ONE FAN SAID ONE WORD ABOUT THE ZONE.

(BTW, Game times for FED 7 inning for the games 1:24 and 1:21)

Looks like it works for me.

Tee