Official Forum Member

I assume Bob felt it was inappropriate.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 02:30pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
I don't understand what was so inappropriate. I just asked Tim a simple question which he was going to answer. I hope the deleter of the post will explain why it was deleted. I didn't think that there was anything really wrong with the post.

I understand that you, skyguy, do not have the answers to these questions as you are not in the mind of the deleter. I just hope that person could give me an explination so that I do not repeat the same mistake next time.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

WOW!

I could not agree more . . . in another thread Rut calls me a "fat a$$ed old man" and that stays and you ask a legitimate question and it is deleted.

Well here's my answer anyway:

First let me state the following:

Mr. Sohl has some very legitimate points. In fact his entire post strikes home as a correct assumption of what I have become on the internet.

The editor of this web page once called me “the most dangerous umpire on the internet!”

Now I don’t remember if that was concerning a specific issue or a basic generality but many feel that I am still living up to that title.

“Why is it every time I read a post and see your comments you never have anything constructive to say that can teach younger less experienced officials how to be better officials?”

There is a great question but it has several levels of answers, so here goes:

I have been posting on internet umpire sites for just over six years. During that time I have seen several good sources be driven from these boards by “Mr. Anonymouse” type figures that hide behind false names and/or skills.

I have always listed myself with a semblance of my real name (Real Name: Tim Christensen – aka: Tim, Tee, T Alan) and have never hide my feelings on issues.

In the beginning we had McGriff and the first ABUA site. We had notables such as DannyPG, SportDoc, mR rIght, and a few others that passed through (Bob Pariseau comes to mind). At this time the information was timely and pretty well thoughtout.

Over at the ABUA site I even wrote a column called “Strikes & Outs” that dealt with everything from equipment reviews to a game where I had “an inside the puddle home run” to the story when I ejected seven participants on ONE PITCH.

Times then were -- fun.

The majority of my change in attitude began to occur when we had many, many posts from people who claimed to be umpires that would not invest on instant in their own research before asking a question (often phrased as such, “when are the hands part of the bat?”).

My irritation level reaches maximum when we have a thread where 99% of the posters understand the correct answer yet we have one “umpire” who wants to tilt against windmills.

So there are a lot of words that really say very little:

1) No, it dies not make me feel important to put people down. I wish, under some circumstances, that I could go back repair damage and be a better source but alas that horse is outta the barn.
2) I NEVER apologize. It is not my style. Each person entering a thread can select to read what I write, ignore what I write or react to what I write. That is what an umpire board is all about.
3) There is a new silent attack about me that I missed until it was pointed out to me by a third party: “ . . . someone that has the experience that you claim to have . . .” seems to be reoccurring lately. All I can say is that I have worked the number of years I claim, I have worked the level of games I claim, and I am an umpire. Actually one of the posters on this site saw me work last week. He thought I was ‘passable’.

I will be honest in two ending thoughts:

First, I did not know it was my job on this (or any other website) to teach umpires. As often as I am ripped I doubt anyone would take very seriously anything I had to offer. When I post constructive pieces (see: 10 Things a Base umpire Should Never Do! and 10 Things a Plate Umpire Should Never Do!) they are taken apart by the weakest members of this site.

Second, I will take into consideration what I post from this day forward. Many here that know me will tell you that I am an irascible “sum-b*tch” and that is probably correct. By I will thin before I post from now on . . . I will also retain the right to delete ANY post I put on any board. Anything I write is my intellectual property. I do not delete to cover errors . . . I don’t remember ever doing that . . . if you think that using the delete button is cowardly please note that most the time I have said something that is controversial enough that someone has already quoted it into their post . . . the information is usually there.

Mr. Sohl I doubt if I really answered your question. As the trite cliché goes: “The Proof is in the Pudding!” We’ll see if I fit the ideal that you think a poster should be.

Tee

DISCLAIMER:

All thoughts, ideas and words in this post are considered the intellectual property of the writer and should not be copied, sullied, or incoherently reacted to. Proper paperwork has been filed with the Library of Congress top protect these right and any use, reproduction or transmission of these words without the written consent of the author is forbidden.

Any Oscars, Emmys, Nobel Prizes, Grammies or other awards for these posts will be spilt evenly with all other posters who show the proper respect and acknowledge the great wisdom of these words.

Respectfully,

Grabbem, Screwem and Cheatem Attorneys-at-Law
For the Literary Estate of T Alan Christensen

Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 02:51pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Re: WOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I could not agree more . . . in another thread Rut calls me a "fat a$$ed old man" and that stays and you ask a legitimate question and it is deleted.

Well here's my answer anyway:

First let me state the following:

Mr. Sohl has some very legitimate points. In fact his entire post strikes home as a correct assumption of what I have become on the internet.

The editor of this web page once called me “the most dangerous umpire on the internet!”

Now I don’t remember if that was concerning a specific issue or a basic generality but many feel that I am still living up to that title.

“Why is it every time I read a post and see your comments you never have anything constructive to say that can teach younger less experienced officials how to be better officials?”

There is a great question but it has several levels of answers, so here goes:

I have been posting on internet umpire sites for just over six years. During that time I have seen several good sources be driven from these boards by “Mr. Anonymouse” type figures that hide behind false names and/or skills.

I have always listed myself with a semblance of my real name (Real Name: Tim Christensen – aka: Tim, Tee, T Alan) and have never hide my feelings on issues.

In the beginning we had McGriff and the first ABUA site. We had notables such as DannyPG, SportDoc, mR rIght, and a few others that passed through (Bob Pariseau comes to mind). At this time the information was timely and pretty well thoughtout.

Over at the ABUA site I even wrote a column called “Strikes & Outs” that dealt with everything from equipment reviews to a game where I had “an inside the puddle home run” to the story when I ejected seven participants on ONE PITCH.

Times then were -- fun.

The majority of my change in attitude began to occur when we had many, many posts from people who claimed to be umpires that would not invest on instant in their own research before asking a question (often phrased as such, “when are the hands part of the bat?”).

My irritation level reaches maximum when we have a thread where 99% of the posters understand the correct answer yet we have one “umpire” who wants to tilt against windmills.

So there are a lot of words that really say very little:

1) No, it dies not make me feel important to put people down. I wish, under some circumstances, that I could go back repair damage and be a better source but alas that horse is outta the barn.
2) I NEVER apologize. It is not my style. Each person entering a thread can select to read what I write, ignore what I write or react to what I write. That is what an umpire board is all about.
3) There is a new silent attack about me that I missed until it was pointed out to me by a third party: “ . . . someone that has the experience that you claim to have . . .” seems to be reoccurring lately. All I can say is that I have worked the number of years I claim, I have worked the level of games I claim, and I am an umpire. Actually one of the posters on this site saw me work last week. He thought I was ‘passable’.

I will be honest in two ending thoughts:

First, I did not know it was my job on this (or any other website) to teach umpires. As often as I am ripped I doubt anyone would take very seriously anything I had to offer. When I post constructive pieces (see: 10 Things a Base umpire Should Never Do! and 10 Things a Plate Umpire Should Never Do!) they are taken apart by the weakest members of this site.

Second, I will take into consideration what I post from this day forward. Many here that know me will tell you that I am an irascible “sum-b*tch” and that is probably correct. By I will thin before I post from now on . . . I will also retain the right to delete ANY post I put on any board. Anything I write is my intellectual property. I do not delete to cover errors . . . I don’t remember ever doing that . . . if you think that using the delete button is cowardly please note that most the time I have said something that is controversial enough that someone has already quoted it into their post . . . the information is usually there.

Mr. Sohl I doubt if I really answered your question. As the trite cliché goes: “The Proof is in the Pudding!” We’ll see if I fit the ideal that you think a poster should be.

Tee

DISCLAIMER:

All thoughts, ideas and words in this post are considered the intellectual property of the writer and should not be copied, sullied, or incoherently reacted to. Proper paperwork has been filed with the Library of Congress top protect these right and any use, reproduction or transmission of these words without the written consent of the author is forbidden.

Any Oscars, Emmys, Nobel Prizes, Grammies or other awards for these posts will be spilt evenly with all other posters who show the proper respect and acknowledge the great wisdom of these words.

Respectfully,

Grabbem, Screwem and Cheatem Attorneys-at-Law
For the Literary Estate of T Alan Christensen

Thank you, I think that did answer my question. However, it still doesn't excuse some of the responses you have made in the past. I can sorta understand where you are coming from, but myself, I am a firm believer in the golden rule and karma, so I just try to be as nice as I can all of the time even if it kills me some times. Don't get me wrong, I can be very vindictive. There are still guys from jr. high that I would like to see sometime. If you have ever seen Good Will Hunting you know what I mean here. I just try to be constructive and helpful with my posts, I am definately still learning the game of baseball, I do shaving aged baseball, and I come here and read most of the time and post others (mainly on basketball).

I guess what I am trying to say is, for example, in the Game card post you didn't agree with keeping score, however I didn't ask what someones opinion was on that. You, instead of just saying it wasn't necessary in your opinion or just not posting at all, decided to tell me how stupid it was to keep score and that I did fake baseball, check that, not real baseball, when in fact by your definition I do do real baseball. It would just make more sense and more people would listen to you if you were a little more constructive with your responses.

It kind of amazed me the huge discussion that was on this board about game cards too.

[Edited by w_sohl on Apr 26th, 2004 at 04:06 PM]
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking My two cents

Tim has been a great source of information for me over the past 2 seasons and now this one. He and I have even communicated a couple of times through e-mail off the boards. Tim is passionate about what he does and is doing what he likes to do. As I am only trained in Little League, with some High School and ASA Softball training, many of the things he suggests or recommends contradict what I have to do because of who I am working for. And, I need to do some of the things he makes fun of because of who I work for. It goes with the territory. I just giggle and go on about my business. However, many of the things I have learned from him I am able to incorporate into my portfolio and they have made me a better umpire.
When I work with a senior partner (pun partially intended), I want that person to be passionate, and I want that person to share with me in a post-game debriefing where I can improve or do things a little better. Although I have never worked with him, I envision Tim to be that kind of person.
Do I like or agree with everything he writes? Of course not. Am I personnally offended by it? No...of course not. It's an internet message board for goodness sake.
One point that I have made with several people here is that they do pay a little more attention to their audience, in that some of the things taught are for higher level umpires, and could end up hurting a newer umpire instead of helping them. Most of the time I am very happy if my partner knows where to be, let alone be aware and be able to implement NCAA level mechanics.
As I have stated in another thread, I am just a tadpole in a mud puddle, not even close to a big fish in a small pond. But, I appreciate Tim and his contribution to these and other boards. I also appreciate the others that contribute, like Carl and Peter. If your skin isn't thick enough to take sometimes gruff messages on an internet board or you are unable to sometimes laugh at yourself because of the situations in which you sometimes find yourself, then find another hobby. This isn't for you. I can and will stand up for myself and others when necessary, in order to make sure our viewpoints are understood (see any paid vs volunteer thread), but while I am doing so I actually read what the opposing viewpoints are saying and in so doing, actually learn something.
Tim, don't stop posting. Don't change your style for that matter. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself. Let's assume that others are, too.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

We love you Timmy, oh yes we do.
We love you Timmy , cause your so Blue.
We love you Timmy, its true.
Oh T I M M Y , WE LOVE YOU
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
I don't understand what was so inappropriate.
I read the whole thing as a slam at Tee -- not a serious request for information. Since I don't heve it here (or anywhere), I can't now point to the specific phrases used that led me to that.

But, I did read what seemed to be "excessive" questioning / repeats of questions (albeit in different forms) and no words like "this isn't meant to be a slam -- I'm seriously interested in why some people post."

Apologies if it was misinterpreted.

Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Tee wrote: Actually one of the posters on this site saw me work last week. He thought I was ‘passable’.

I assume that you are referring to some one other than me. I saw you work last week and I thought you did a great job. Your partner, on the other hand, was "passable."