Thread: Tim C (Tee)
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking My two cents

Tim has been a great source of information for me over the past 2 seasons and now this one. He and I have even communicated a couple of times through e-mail off the boards. Tim is passionate about what he does and is doing what he likes to do. As I am only trained in Little League, with some High School and ASA Softball training, many of the things he suggests or recommends contradict what I have to do because of who I am working for. And, I need to do some of the things he makes fun of because of who I work for. It goes with the territory. I just giggle and go on about my business. However, many of the things I have learned from him I am able to incorporate into my portfolio and they have made me a better umpire.
When I work with a senior partner (pun partially intended), I want that person to be passionate, and I want that person to share with me in a post-game debriefing where I can improve or do things a little better. Although I have never worked with him, I envision Tim to be that kind of person.
Do I like or agree with everything he writes? Of course not. Am I personnally offended by it? No...of course not. It's an internet message board for goodness sake.
One point that I have made with several people here is that they do pay a little more attention to their audience, in that some of the things taught are for higher level umpires, and could end up hurting a newer umpire instead of helping them. Most of the time I am very happy if my partner knows where to be, let alone be aware and be able to implement NCAA level mechanics.
As I have stated in another thread, I am just a tadpole in a mud puddle, not even close to a big fish in a small pond. But, I appreciate Tim and his contribution to these and other boards. I also appreciate the others that contribute, like Carl and Peter. If your skin isn't thick enough to take sometimes gruff messages on an internet board or you are unable to sometimes laugh at yourself because of the situations in which you sometimes find yourself, then find another hobby. This isn't for you. I can and will stand up for myself and others when necessary, in order to make sure our viewpoints are understood (see any paid vs volunteer thread), but while I am doing so I actually read what the opposing viewpoints are saying and in so doing, actually learn something.
Tim, don't stop posting. Don't change your style for that matter. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself. Let's assume that others are, too.