View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

When I first started umpiring HS, I didn't like FED rules, but since have changed my mind. Yes there are those rules I would like changed - but nothing is perfect.

I might be in the minority by I personally like the FED appeal process - We see an infraction of the rules - end of playing action we enforce like any other violation of the rules (except BOOO (batting out of order).

Also, the FED has a case book that pretty much outlines the sitch for the umpire and explains things more clearly than the simple wording of the rule itself.

I cannot comment on NCAA because other than the NCAA slide / get around rule I have not umpired a game strictly using the college rules.

OBR is vague - and interpretations are needed for some of the more complex rulings. Also, there are no safety rules using strict OBR. IMO OBR was written for the profesional Athlete / Umpire not the Amateur Athlete / Umpire.

I guess if one combined the "best of the best" of rules from each association - one could come up with a better set of rules - but even then we would probably have debates over them as well.

Pete Booth