The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I had an interesting infield fly in my game this afternoon. It was a high school "C" game, so we played by Federation rules of course.

Here's what happened: Top of the 7th, bases loaded, one out: Infield Fly Rule in effect. A fly ball is hit almost straight up, I lose it because of a net above the plate, look to my partner who starts pointing up for the infield fly. I point up and look at the fielders who start congregating about 30 feet from home plate along the 3rd base line. I'm watching this thing, just waiting for one of them to catch it so I can call my out. Nobody catches it, it hits the ground fair. I yell "Batter's Out! Infield Fly!" The ball bounces and lands in foul territory before it's picked up by a fielder. Nobody but the offensive team's coach complains about the call, who says that because it wasn't touched until it was in foul territory that it was a foul ball and the batter is not out because it wasn't fair.

My partner and I decided that it was an infield fly, the rule didn't say it had to be caught fair, it just had to be *able* to be caught fair by an infielder, so the out would stand.

My question is this: Was that the right call? I couldn't find anything in the rule book stating anything more on infield flies that what I've said, and there wasn't anything in the casebook pertaining to this situation.

-Sir Eldren
Washington State
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
The ball bounces and lands in foul territory before it's picked up by a fielder. Nobody but the offensive team's coach complains about the call, who says that because it wasn't touched until it was in foul territory that it was a foul ball and the batter is not out because it wasn't fair. Nobody but the offensive team's coach complains about the call, who says that because it wasn't touched until it was in foul territory that it was a foul ball and the batter is not out because it wasn't fair.

The coach had it right. According to the FED book, an infield fly is a fair fly ball... If the ball falls untouched and rolls foul and is then picked up, it's a foul ball and thus by definition cannot be an IFF. Remember, the purpose of the rule is to prevent the defense from allowing the ball to drop and then get a "cheap" double play. That's not possible on a foul ball since the runners cannot advance. Foul ball, return BR to the plate.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_eldren
I had an interesting infield fly in my game this afternoon. It was a high school "C" game, so we played by Federation rules of course.

Here's what happened: Top of the 7th, bases loaded, one out: Infield Fly Rule in effect. A fly ball is hit almost straight up, I lose it because of a net above the plate, look to my partner who starts pointing up for the infield fly. I point up and look at the fielders who start congregating about 30 feet from home plate along the 3rd base line. I'm watching this thing, just waiting for one of them to catch it so I can call my out. Nobody catches it, it hits the ground fair. I yell "Batter's Out! Infield Fly!" The ball bounces and lands in foul territory before it's picked up by a fielder. Nobody but the offensive team's coach complains about the call, who says that because it wasn't touched until it was in foul territory that it was a foul ball and the batter is not out because it wasn't fair.

My partner and I decided that it was an infield fly, the rule didn't say it had to be caught fair, it just had to be *able* to be caught fair by an infielder, so the out would stand.

My question is this: Was that the right call? I couldn't find anything in the rule book stating anything more on infield flies that what I've said, and there wasn't anything in the casebook pertaining to this situation.

-Sir Eldren
Washington State
That's why a much better call from the umpires is "Infield Fly if fair." That should be the call on any IF that has potential to go foul near either of the foul lines etc.,

Another thing to remember in FED, even if you or your partner(s) do not call or signal the IF, it still is an IF. (If it fits the criteria as determined by the rule book) Its up to the teams to know the situation exists and to play accordingly.

So if you by chance have an IF and its not signaled or called, and it hits the ground it still should be an IF.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Two-cents more

I would also suggest that in addition to pointing umpires should also verbalize Infield Fly. This makes it clear especially on windy days etc. where depending upon the level of play ordinary effort may not be that easy to determine. Jim / Tampa
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Another scenario:

IF situation, batter hits pop-up behind the plate. Catcher overruns it and the ball hits in foul territory and rolls untouched into fair territory.

Infield fly? Definitely "catchable" - definitely a fair ball.

The purpose of the infield fly rule is to prevent an easy double play. In this situation (I was a spectator), the catcher disgustedly walked over and threw the ball back to the pitcher. If he had been alert, he could easily have had a triple play, because the umpire did not call infield fly. I suspect he would have called it in retrospect if the catcher had mad a play on the runners.

So the message is call "Infield Fly if Fair!" on ANY fly ball near the infield when the IF rule applies.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

why did you wait so long to make a call? ive always been told to make your infield fly call at the peak of the balls height and to point in the air yelling "infield fly, batters out" or "infield fly, if fair" (if the ball is a possible foul ball).
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Clarrification

Quote:
Originally posted by brian43
why did you wait so long to make a call? ive always been told to make your infield fly call at the peak of the balls height and to point in the air yelling "infield fly, batters out" or "infield fly, if fair" (if the ball is a possible foul ball).
I think TxUmp was the spectator. It is an interesting situation as my first reaction might be not to call an Infield Fly on a ball that has carried into foul territory. Of course in actuality the ball ended up Fair. Wondering if TxUmp could let us know the level of the players.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

My inclination would be to NOT call an infield fly for a ball up behind the plate that only the catcher can catch. However, once it hits foul and rolls fair, we have a live ball, and I would point fair, and speak very loudly "infield fly, batter is out". It also needs to be a ball that can be caught with ordinary effort.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

challenging call

TxUmp poses a challenging call. I assume this ball hit foul and rolled ten feet or so, into fair territory. "Infield Fly, batter is out, if fair," would be the correct call for something that near the line. But if the fly were 30-40 feet away from the line, I would myself be thinking catch the ball not infield fly...

I would likely be collecting my wits and enforcing the infield fly rule (batter is out) after all action had stopped.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Clarrification

I think TxUmp was the spectator. It is an interesting situation as my first reaction might be not to call an Infield Fly on a ball that has carried into foul territory. Of course in actuality the ball ended up Fair. Wondering if TxUmp could let us know the level of the players. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was indeed a spectator (Actually evaluating the umpires). This was a 5A (Highest level in Texas) Varsity game. The umpire ruled it a foul ball, and NO ONE SAID A THING!!!
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Just curious - did you discuss the play with the umpires afterward (since you were there evaluating).

Also, is it possible it hit something you didn't see (since no one on the field questioned it), like equipment, fence, ... anything?