Thread: Infield Fly
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_eldren
I had an interesting infield fly in my game this afternoon. It was a high school "C" game, so we played by Federation rules of course.

Here's what happened: Top of the 7th, bases loaded, one out: Infield Fly Rule in effect. A fly ball is hit almost straight up, I lose it because of a net above the plate, look to my partner who starts pointing up for the infield fly. I point up and look at the fielders who start congregating about 30 feet from home plate along the 3rd base line. I'm watching this thing, just waiting for one of them to catch it so I can call my out. Nobody catches it, it hits the ground fair. I yell "Batter's Out! Infield Fly!" The ball bounces and lands in foul territory before it's picked up by a fielder. Nobody but the offensive team's coach complains about the call, who says that because it wasn't touched until it was in foul territory that it was a foul ball and the batter is not out because it wasn't fair.

My partner and I decided that it was an infield fly, the rule didn't say it had to be caught fair, it just had to be *able* to be caught fair by an infielder, so the out would stand.

My question is this: Was that the right call? I couldn't find anything in the rule book stating anything more on infield flies that what I've said, and there wasn't anything in the casebook pertaining to this situation.

-Sir Eldren
Washington State
That's why a much better call from the umpires is "Infield Fly if fair." That should be the call on any IF that has potential to go foul near either of the foul lines etc.,

Another thing to remember in FED, even if you or your partner(s) do not call or signal the IF, it still is an IF. (If it fits the criteria as determined by the rule book) Its up to the teams to know the situation exists and to play accordingly.

So if you by chance have an IF and its not signaled or called, and it hits the ground it still should be an IF.

Thanks
David