The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I am having a prblem with my strike signal on called strikes.

I read in articles and hear at clinics to not turn away in a 2 man system. I "point" and it feels uncomfortable doing this without turning.

I then tried a "hammer" signal with a fist, bent arm, slightly to the right side. With this I just don't feel comfortable with left handed batters.

I just wondered who used what and how it worked for you. I know that getting the call right is what is important, but we all know that we are also critiqued on mechanics.

Thanks.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Develope you own style with the right arm ... Get in front of a mirror and work it out with yourself.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've been critiqued on turning too, but I've always kept it as my style because it feels natural. As far as small-ball local goes, they don't bother me about it because I'm serving as AUIC, and UIC next spring. We'll see what the IHSA thinks, but I'll probably stick with the same mechanics - maybe remove turning. I hate the hammer system too - I use a cocked wrist, fingers for the number of strikes, and a punchout for three. One of my concessions was to change the plane of the punchout and instead of using the strike three call and shifting to a punchout, I skip a '3' call and do a punchout on the horizontal plane in front of me - three fingers out on the right hand, snap back and extend the left arm with the verbal call of strike three, batter's out.

Hope this helps.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IHSAIllini
I skip a '3' call and do a punchout on the horizontal plane in front of me - three fingers out on the right hand, snap back and extend the left arm with the verbal call of strike three, batter's out.
What's your verbal call when it's strike three, but the batter's not out?
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I wondered if someone would ask that

When that happens, I'll treat strike 3 in the same manner as strike one and strike two, and then give a standard hammer signal with the right hand if the batter is put out.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wondered if someone would ask that

When that happens, I'll treat strike 3 in the same manner as strike one and strike two, and then give a standard hammer signal with the right hand if the batter is put out.
My suggestion, and I think this would be echoed by most, would be to lose the "batter's out" verbal altogether. It's too easy to let that unnecessary verbal bite you in the rear.

Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the thing - I didn't used to do this, say three years ago. But then as I started doing higher-level ball, batters would take off without seeing if the catcher dropped it or not. I needed a way to indicate there was no possibility of a D3K, and the batter's out verbal does that nicely. I only invoke it when the batter becomes out - when the ball is caught cleanly, or when the batter is put out on D3K situation. (Also, I mainly work 1-man, so that's another reason I do what I do.) Under 2-man, I won't call batter's out unless they're out w/o a D3K situation occuring because that's the BU's call, thus eliminating the need.

[Edited by IHSAIllini on Nov 16th, 2003 at 10:28 PM]
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's the thing - I didn't used to do this, say three years ago. But then as I started doing higher-level ball, batters would take off without seeing if the catcher dropped it or not. I needed a way to indicate there was no possibility of a D3K, and the batter's out verbal does that nicely. I only invoke it when the batter becomes out - when the ball is caught cleanly, or when the batter is put out on D3K situation. (Also, I mainly work 1-man, so that's another reason I do what I do.)
On those rare occasions when the batter runs on a caught, called third strike, I will quietly acknowledge for the *catcher's* benefit that the batter's out with a "that's caught" or a "yeah, he's out." This is, as I said, a relatively rare occurrence; I would still advise against adopting a routine "strike three, batter's out" verbalization.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But then as I started doing higher-level ball, batters would take off without seeing if the catcher dropped it or not. [SNIP]

(Also, I mainly work 1-man, so that's another reason I do what I do.)
Just curious. Are the above statements related? That is to ask, are higher level games in Illinois officiated with one umpire?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
But then as I started doing higher-level ball, batters would take off without seeing if the catcher dropped it or not. [SNIP]

(Also, I mainly work 1-man, so that's another reason I do what I do.)
Just curious. Are the above statements related? That is to ask, are higher level games in Illinois officiated with one umpire?
In the Chicago area, most HS ball lower than Varsity (Soph and Frosh) is officiated with one umpire. There aren'e enough umpires to cover those games with two umpires.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and no. What Bob said holds true for me, I work in the NW-N suburbs of Chicago. One of my associations does entirely 1-man work except for tournament, while another is typically 2-man, so it varies from time to time. When I work 2-man games, as I said, I don't bother with the batter's out verbal since it's not an issue.

In lower level games, especially at the 12-14, I use it exclusively, because coaches instruct players to take off every time they hear strike three. Saves time that way.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

What organizations?

Steve, what organizations you belong to? I assume UMPS, but what else?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

UMPS? ::looks around sheepishly.::

DYBA - my local organization. Great Lakes Officials Association, which began as an org for the NTC at Great Lakes and has since expanded. Plus, IHSA for high school ball.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been critiqued on turning too, but I've always kept it as my style because it feels natural. As far as small-ball local goes, they don't bother me about it because I'm serving as AUIC, and UIC next spring. We'll see what the IHSA thinks, but I'll probably stick with the same mechanics - maybe remove turning. I hate the hammer system too - I use a cocked wrist, fingers for the number of strikes, and a punchout for three. One of my concessions was to change the plane of the punchout and instead of using the strike three call and shifting to a punchout, I skip a '3' call and do a punchout on the horizontal plane in front of me - three fingers out on the right hand, snap back and extend the left arm with the verbal call of strike three, batter's out.

Hope this helps.
"with the verbal call of strike three, batter's out."

And, unless it's the lower levels of LL, you'll be hung out to dry if the pitch gets by the catcher. The ONLY time to verbalize strike three is when the batter is not entitled to attempt to go to 1B on a missed third strike. 1B occupied, less than two outs, uncaught third strike, batter takes off for 1B, "STRIKE THREE, BATTER'S OUT. STRIKE THREE, BATTER'S OUT."

Bob
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I understand the theory - however, it IS still strike three, according to the rules? If so, why is the verbal "strike three" discouraged if it's different than "batter's out"?