Thread: Strike signals
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IHSAIllini
I've been critiqued on turning too, but I've always kept it as my style because it feels natural. As far as small-ball local goes, they don't bother me about it because I'm serving as AUIC, and UIC next spring. We'll see what the IHSA thinks, but I'll probably stick with the same mechanics - maybe remove turning. I hate the hammer system too - I use a cocked wrist, fingers for the number of strikes, and a punchout for three. One of my concessions was to change the plane of the punchout and instead of using the strike three call and shifting to a punchout, I skip a '3' call and do a punchout on the horizontal plane in front of me - three fingers out on the right hand, snap back and extend the left arm with the verbal call of strike three, batter's out.

Hope this helps.
"with the verbal call of strike three, batter's out."

And, unless it's the lower levels of LL, you'll be hung out to dry if the pitch gets by the catcher. The ONLY time to verbalize strike three is when the batter is not entitled to attempt to go to 1B on a missed third strike. 1B occupied, less than two outs, uncaught third strike, batter takes off for 1B, "STRIKE THREE, BATTER'S OUT. STRIKE THREE, BATTER'S OUT."

Bob