The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2020, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question on player going on mound being the "pitcher"

In a tournament using OBR which had a really small unique portable mound, our 3B on his way out to 3B from the 1B dugout, stopped on the mound with no ball in between innings and basically took a stride to see I guess to see exactly how small this thing was? Not really sure what he was doing. We were doing a P change, not even sure C was out there yet and our P was changing shoes, because no spikes on this mound. We reported sub already, it obviously was not the 3B.

Anyhow, this caused a bit of a hubub as opposing manager went to home plate ump saying he must now face 1 batter as the Pitcher because he had stood on mound/rubber.

I tended to be a little hazy on this, but simply being on the mound with no throws did not sound right to me as I would think this would be pretty loosely interpreted. My memory on this is 1 of 3 things would force a new pitcher to face a batter, wanting to see how off I am.

1. If coaches report the sub as new pitcher? Unless some sort of injury occurs in warmups and he leaves game all together.

2. Warm Up Pitches
3. Does what my 3B did, but when the ball is Live -

FTR - Umpire did not force us to change as he was not 100% certain either. Figured this would be the spot.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2020, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I think...

You are correct!
Old Wed Mar 04, 2020, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

OBR:

( j) If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute
shall be considered as having entered the game when:
(1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher’s plate;

LL adds "and throws one warm-up pitch.

Regular season youth - the best move s to tell them they can't do that.

In a tournament - enforce it - they should know better.