The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Batter must verbally call time?

Had this come up. As i am pretty "relaxed" with 13u games, the coach did complain regarding the opposing batter coming to the plate and just putting his hand up towards me for time, but never "asked for time".

As i have played ball for many'o'years, thats just how we got time as a batter... but is there a RULE that states "just because someone holds up their hand, doenst mean you give them time.... they must verbally ask for it?"

It seemed a stretch for me, but watching MLB and such, i always verbally hear the 3rd basecoach ask for time after a slide from a player, and even batter's i hear them yell "TIME" if they want to step out...

So whats the call? dont call timeout if only the hand is raised and i dont hear a verbal "TIME" ?
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
Had this come up. As i am pretty "relaxed" with 13u games, the coach did complain regarding the opposing batter coming to the plate and just putting his hand up towards me for time, but never "asked for time".

As i have played ball for many'o'years, thats just how we got time as a batter... but is there a RULE that states "just because someone holds up their hand, doenst mean you give them time.... they must verbally ask for it?"

It seemed a stretch for me, but watching MLB and such, i always verbally hear the 3rd basecoach ask for time after a slide from a player, and even batter's i hear them yell "TIME" if they want to step out...

So whats the call? dont call timeout if only the hand is raised and i dont hear a verbal "TIME" ?
That coach is either ignorant or a douche. If you know they're asking, and it's appropriate for you to grant it, do it.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Imitating the Pros

I'm firmly in the "keep the ball alive" school. Just because a batter puts his hand up as he settles into the box, I'm not going to call time. For safety, I will, however, stop a pitcher, if the batter is not set.

Same on a slide, if the kid doesn't really need to dust off: "You don't need it, stay on the bag and climb the ladder."
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I'm firmly in the "keep the ball alive" school. Just because a batter puts his hand up as he settles into the box, I'm not going to call time. For safety, I will, however, stop a pitcher, if the batter is not set.

Same on a slide, if the kid doesn't really need to dust off: "You don't need it, stay on the bag and climb the ladder."
This ^
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Problem here is that after watching the pros on TV routinely granting time it makes the players, coaches, and fans think you're a doofus when you don't.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree, but that doesn't answer the OP's question.
Old Sat Apr 20, 2019, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

When the batter enters the box with his hand up I usually don't give the pitcher a stop sign unless we have a pitcher who appears to ignore the batter not being ready. Once the batter is established in the box and then puts his hand up I consider that a request for time and will grant it if appropriate or tell him no. It's usually not appropriate if F1 has come set or started his windup. Time would be granted if something had affected the batter or a set pitcher held too long.