The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I've opined before that Hernandez is the worst, and McClelland is the best, and felt a bit justified by this summer's SI poll.

One thing I found interesting from the last two games was this. In game 6, there were numerous occurrences where players were obviously displeased with a ball/strike call from Hernandez, and were quite vocal with their displeasure. In game 7, there were very few squabbles, and the few times it appeared that a player had a gripe, they never said anything to McClelland.

This may be a respect issue or an ability issue, but I felt it was worth noting.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
McClelland was outstanding last night. That from a Sox fan.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

The best part of the SI survery of pro ball players is that some of them listed Babe Ruth as the best living player.

I believe it. I know some former MLB players whose ignorance of the history of the game is almost beyond belief. There are all-time greats these guys have never heard of, and not just dead-ball-era players. Sometimes I think the knowledge these former players have of MLB is less than that of the average fan.

Years ago, a newspaper reporter in New York was amazed to learn that Vince Coleman of the Mets had never heard of Jackie Robinson and was unaware that blacks had ever been excluded from MLB. The reporter was doubly surprised when interviews with other players around the league revealed similar non-awareness.

But it's not just ballplayers. Surveys show that few American 17-year-olds can place the Civil War in the correct half-century, identify Thomas Jefferson, and so on. A college history professor I know told me that, in one of his classes, not a single student was aware that there had been a World War I (though some were familiar with the term World War II).

But I'm not singling out the U.S. of A. In the UK, only 11% of 18-year-olds could identify Winston Churchill.