The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 27, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpire11_2001
Question

ok, i've decided that i would like to attend an umpires clinic/school this upcoming year. just not one of the two major umpire schools down in florida, well just not yet... if you guys know of any let me know, i myself know of two. the first one, Southern Umpires Camp, and the second one, Arizona Umpiring Academy. which one is best to attend? are there others that might be better than these two? i am just looking for a well-rounded umpires school (you guys know what i'm talkin about...) if you could answer my question and get back to me, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

Jason K.

Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've been to the Southern Umpires Clinic and it was excellent. Paul Nauert displayed his great knowledge of the rules. The major league umps for the most part were great in the cage work. When I went Gerry Davis, Ed Hickox and Steve Rippley did the cages. Gerry and Ed were especially helpful. I also attended the Northeast Umpires Clinic and their advanced clinic. I have nothing but praise for both. Matt Hollowell and the team of major and minor league umpires that he has assembled are truly student oriented. The cage work is excellent and the interaction is great. The advanced clinic is coming up in mid November and the basic clinic is in Feb. They are all in Northern New Jersey, easily accesible from many mid-Atlantic and Northeaster areas. Check it out, info is posted on this and other umpire boards.

Ed H
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Clinics to chose

If you are looking for a clinic that is a lot like the 5 week school I highly recommend the Jim Evans Desert or Sunshine Classic. The Desert Classic is in the second week of November and spots are clearing up quickly. The Sunshine Classic is in Florida at the same location where the 5 week is at and both of them are the minature version of the 5 week. So you get a bunch of the same thing as you would the 5 week just in a shorter and more condenced amount of time. If I were you, I would highly recommend contacting Jim Evans as quickly as possible.

Arik
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Desert Classic

I agree. The desert classic is a concentrated program, but not too condensed so as to miss things. Give it a shot. The instructors are great and the training methods are innovative and fun.
Unfortunately, I can't speak to the quality of any other clinics, though I'm sure there are some great ones out there.

Bainer.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Frankwag
If you want to go to the MLB, or have a shot I should say, you should attend the Wendlestedt school in Florida or the Jim McKean school in Texas.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe the Jim Mckean School in Texas is sanctioned by PBUC. PBUC selects from graduates of Wendlestedt's school and Jim Evans' school.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire School

I spent five weeks with Jim Evans and crew. The classroom training was informative and delivered in methods that kept the attention of the students through various competitions.
In the classroom we learned the rules, various signals, went over the drills that we would be doing later on the field.

Field training was thorough, with great tips and drills for executing better angle, distance and judgment. Camp games were held that tested our abilities in the mechanics of the two-umpire system.

We participated in cage work at least twice per day and on occasion three times a day, where proper plate stance, using your voice and judgment were taught. Each student was given individual videotape and was recorded during their cage exercises that were reviewed daily with the instructors.

I would recommend the Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring to anyone looking to learn how to umpire or improve his or her umpiring skills.

Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Micheal VA,

Thank you very much for the reply you just posted. I am going to Jim Evans school this year to pursue umpiring as a career and the information I had collected to this point was all the way around pointing me to Jim Evans School.

Thank you for reassuring my decision.