The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

You make the call: NFHS game- Malicious contact at the plate?

I won’t even try to describe the play. I’ll let you watch for yourself and decide what, if anything, you’d call.

https://www.sportsgossip.com/other/i...late-collision
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

MC (well, OBS first, but the MC trumps that)
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

MC

Probably the easiest call of the game.

However.........
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Big discussion here:

NFHS Malicious Contact????? - Free For All - Umpire-Empire
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Too many times the onus is put on the runner! Right Mr. Ives?

I have an F2 who has learned a valuable lesson!

I saw a rear angle on the play, and it may have changed my mind. WOW!

But in real time as PU, I most likely would have had the same call. Crew could have got together and ruled differently.

Last edited by thumpferee; Thu Jul 26, 2018 at 07:00am.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I can see the argument that the catcher drifting into the path of the runner was the cause for the contact and agree with this being OBS on F2. I think OBS is the right call until the moment the runner decides to level the catcher. Based on what I saw, the runner's step toward the catcher at the last moment combined with the forearms to the upper chest/neck/head area not only increased the severity of the contact but were unnecessary which leads me to believe this was MC.

Had the runner continued to widen his route to home farther into foul territory (which it appears that he did take a step in that direction), I believe the contact wouldn't have been as severe, and even if the contact were severe, I wouldn't have faulted the runner.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I can see the argument that the catcher drifting into the path of the runner was the cause for the contact and agree with this being OBS on F2. I think OBS is the right call until the moment the runner decides to level the catcher. Based on what I saw, the runner's step toward the catcher at the last moment combined with the forearms to the upper chest/neck/head area not only increased the severity of the contact but were unnecessary which leads me to believe this was MC.

Had the runner continued to widen his route to home farther into foul territory (which it appears that he did take a step in that direction), I believe the contact wouldn't have been as severe, and even if the contact were severe, I wouldn't have faulted the runner.
Unnecessary? Putting up your arms is a natural, normal way to brace for impact. Run at a wall and I betcha you'd do the same thing. I'll even let you run at a padded wall. Now suppose the wall moves into your path.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2018, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unnecessary? Putting up your arms is a natural, normal way to brace for impact. Run at a wall and I betcha you'd do the same thing. I'll even let you run at a padded wall. Now suppose the wall moves into your path.
But putting up your arms and attempting to blast through that wall is not natural, normal, or sane. It's moronic.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2018, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
I'll agree that I'm probably going to put my arms up to protect myself if I'm running at a wall, whether it is padded or not. I'm also going to slow down or veer to the side to avoid running directly into the wall as opposed to lowering my upper body and extending my arms in an attempt to blast my way through the wall.

The only thing that I will add, is that I will admit that in real time from the umpire's perspective, it is a tough call that I would have defended to those around me had I been a spectator (which is pretty much my default stance when watching a game).
Old Thu Aug 02, 2018, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
The only thing that I will add, is that I will admit that in real time from the umpire's perspective, it is a tough call that I would have defended to those around me had I been a spectator (which is pretty much my default stance when watching a game).
The problem is that the 1BU did not get into position to see the collision. He straight-lined himself so that he couldn't see the actual impact; he could only see the catcher's back.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2018, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I have this as MC, no doubt. I think the reason we still have blatant MC in high school ball is; umpires do not enforce obstruction. If the runner gives up, or takes a route in which he is tagged out, he must be rewarded for staying within the rules.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2018, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguy View Post
I think the reason we still have blatant MC in high school ball is; umpires do not enforce obstruction.
And because umpires do not enforce ejection for malicious contact, as in this play.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2018, 08:01pm
Coach Paul

I was expecting the BU to get trucked ;-)
Baseball Instructor / Coach